Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Played his best football from LWF at Watford imv and has approx the same amount of games in that position. Anyway, we don't need a plausible option, but someone with a proven goal scoring record. Richarlison is fine as cover for the front three.

Well now your conflating my comments re: two different players.

Son DOES have a proven goal-scoring record at CF.
Rich IS a legit CF even if you think he's a better LW.

That YOU personally think one or the other isn't sufficiently good enough is an entirely different discussion.

To say a team that has a pecking order of:

Rich
Son
+Veliz & Scarlet

Don't have a legit ST is a very skewed claim.

This would seem like an ideal move for him.
Stays in London and gets 3 (or more) years on a PL salary (although probably reduced).
He clearly doesn’t want it. He grew up in Portugal and is comfortable living in continental Europe.
Ange has frozen him out but needs to tell him that he won’t make a single squad — not even as sub in League Cup game.
Hopefully, this news, with more authority than the posters here who have been saying much the same thing, will shut up those who say ‘why aren’t we selling Dier?’
As much as Winks gets stick, he was willing to be sold to Leicester and make the step down to the Championship (albeit very likely to get promoted) and was willing to go out on loan before that.

Dier seems more stubborn.

That's true.

But he could also be getting more space than in any league in the world.

The Belgian league is hardly a great league is it. I just find it interesting that the leagues reputation seems to have gone up a level since we've been linked with him.

And this is coming from someone who wants us to sign him. The unknown excites me.

He could be the next big thing. He could also be a colossal flop. I want us to find out.
Didn’t the French league ranking drop massively this summer?

That's usually done by buying out the remaining year.
Well, here it even suggests we might want a small fee:

The Premier League side are keen to receive a fee for Lloris, who still has a year remaining on the two-year contract he signed at Spurs last summer.

So I guess we ain't buying that contract out.

:ange-arms:

Poor show from Eric if true.... He's been treated VERY well by the club since he arrived.

18 month spell of injury/poor health between 2018-20... Comes back and a few months later he gets a new deal and a pay-rise and has since been given a multitude of chances to work through what has been 2/3 years of very erratic form.

It can only be a money decision as he's not gonna attract better than Fulham/Palace etc. if he spends the next 12 months playing table tennis at the training ground.
I'm sure you're gonna ask for citations, but I've often got the impression that he sees himself as far far better than he actually is.

I think some of his decision making on the pitch is a very cynical tactic of avoid catching attention for the wrong reasons. He hides to avoid responsiblity so the likes of Sanchez and Emerson who actually fuck up the tackle end up on the lowlight reel and he doesn't.

I'd not be surprised if this war true.

He could but what's the rush on him moving now as opposed to next Summer?
Like I said, if he stays out of the squad for a year I doubt he'll get good offers, and if he goes on loan to a weaker side it's a gamble, he can easily get exposed, and again get no good offers. He has a good offer now on the table, waiting for another year is a big gamble on his part.

Thing with Dier and Lloris is how has been allowed to go on this long?

Could have paid both Contracts out weeks ago and moved on with the rebuild.

Tanganga, Regui, Tanguy i get it, we need to see what we can get. Spence as well.

Barring a lot of injuries, Dier isn’t going to play even a little bit of meaningful minutes. Perhaps buy him out by paying 50% of his wages. In the end it saves money, resolves an issue at the club (too many players), and allows the player to find a suitable club where he can add value.

I have to say I'm a little frustrated with Dier and Hugo. After all these years you'd think they'd try and help the club out a little by being more open to transfers. Especially Dier - he hasn't been decent in what, 3 or 4 years?

He might want to go overseas but clubs can't match his salary or pay the fee. Easier to do that if he goes on a free.

Maybe let Dier go Fulham on loan for a small fee and he can see out the last year there instead? He can do what he wants after that.

Like I said, if he stays out of the squad for a year I doubt he'll get good offers, and if he goes on loan to a weaker side it's a gamble, he can easily get exposed, and again get no good offers. He has a good offer now on the table, waiting for another year is a big gamble on his part.
IMO, he really believes all the guff from Mourinho about him being a leader and he's completely delusional about his status in the sport.

He doesn't have the humility of someone like Winks, to accept a move to the championship.

Eric is like Lloris, I’d buy out that last year as a loyalty payment for all these years and bring in new talent.

That equates to 9.4m for the pair of them. If they both dig their heels in we'll have to pay anyway with no potential trf fee on the horizon.

Makes sense. Get rid.

The annoying reality is that it taken this long for these 2 players to reveal their hand and force ours...... I still don't think it would have been any wiser to have just paid them off back in June. Thus far they won't have prevented any deals from happening; at most they've made the bigger picture feel more bloated whilst we look for "solutions" to trickier predicaments like Reg, Ndombele, PEH etc.

Last edited:
Unless it's Mr Hasselhoff, in which he case he definitely is it

David Hasselhoff Hello GIF
giphy.gif

Crazy we are being paralyzed by three CBs not fit for purpose.

We NEED an additional CB of the requisite quality. Our 3rd and 4th choice cannot be Dier and Sanchez.

We should have signed the second CB weeks ago and then worked to push the others out the door.

You tell Dier fuck off on loan/ leave for free or you wont play football for a year.

Dier's annual salary is 4.4m. That is nothing compared to leaving our defence short.

That equates to 9.4m for the pair of them, that if they both dig their heels in we'll have to pay anyway with no potential trf fee on the horizon.

Makes sense. Get rid.

The annoying reality is that it taken this long for these 2 players to reveal their hand and force ours...... I still don't think it would have been any wiser to have just paid them off back in June. Thus far they won't have prevented any deals from happening; at most they've made the bigger picture feel more bloated whilst we look for "solutions" to trickier predicaments like Reg, Ndombele, PEH etc.
Dier not leaving has prevented the signing of an additional CB.

That equates to 9.4m for the pair of them, that if they both dig their heels in we'll have to pay anyway with no potential trf fee on the horizon.

Makes sense. Get rid.

I don't have enough information about when hands were revealed tbh. Lloris has been pretty clear all summer. It stinks a bit that we are now holding out for a club that wants to pay a fee.

Dier may well have thought he could still win his place. He had the captain's armband in Barca but also showed the whole world why it won't work for him here anymore.

Now the situations are what they are, just get them resolved tbh. Why else would you keep Dierbhgere for his last year?

Back
Top Bottom