Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think Van De Ven is the one we should be pushing for the most. He’s 22,just about to break into the Dutch team,lightening quick,left footed,can play left back and won’t be going to the African Nations in January. We need to sign a left footed centre back for the balance of the side and not Lenglet as first choice. Tapsoba looks the part and would love to get him too and between those two and Romero we’d be stronger than most teams in that position.

I would be happy with any of the two. I think Tapsoba is alot further along in the dedelopment and would ease in alot smoother.

But I do like van de Ven. Definitely like a left footer and hee's great technically.

Correct

The centre back search is turning into a mess now......looks like weve backed away from VdV and Tapsoba and are now being linked with other random defenders we've been linked with in the past.
It's probably the usual nonsense that goes on.
We agree a deal, then try to change the terms last minute, pissing everyone off including the player.
This old act is becoming tiresome and predictable, we just need a different approach, instead of trying to be clever which they are not.

If this is what they are doing it’s because they don’t want to pay for their top or even second target AGAIN.

Watched palace several times, never saw this guy dribble or carry the ball forward, didn’t really see line breaking passes, I did see longer pings like Toby and guess decent. He does head everything as well.

Solid defender but doesn’t seem like he’s similar or data led like Tapsoba or VDV. But could be wrong
Yes but he’d cost even more. Woy has said £50M! For a 27 yr old who isn’t the quickest. Surely the vdv and tabsoba would be better? You get abd quicket.

I don't think Andersen would be signed to be starter. I still think it's one of Tapsoba and VDV and another and he's under the "another" category.

Don't watch Palace often but he's always looked alot better than Guehi. But again, doesn't have that HG links like Guehi or Tosin have.

All better than Lenglet though.
I think he does well especially at home for palace but not massively mobile and when games get stretched he looks vulnerable. I suppose you could say that about most defenders. His passing is excellent and is very aggressive but he shouldn’t be first choice over VDV and Tapsoba.

This is from a Celtic fan when Ange was up there and looking for a left footed cb. Strangely enough the fan suggested a young kid called Mickey Van Der Ven

It’s a strange anomaly in football that right footed players in central defence often switch between left and right sided central positions, yet in Ange Postecoglou’s system, where the full backs are inverted, there is a clear danger, without an ability to receive the ball on your natural foot and playing a high line to boot, those valuable seconds as the player switches from his less natural foot to his most comfortable, or challenges with his weaker choice, can make an impact on the overall effectiveness of the system.

There is also an argument to say a lack of genuine pace in all centre backs employed at the club negates the effectiveness of a system that plays such a high defensive line, and as such in transition can be open to quick opponents on the counter, and one with acres to run into. The same can be said for the absence of a central defender who can break the lines and free up midfield and attacking options, as Kris Ajer did admirably prior to his move to Brentford

Gawd is hate Woolwich. And gawd they frustrate me. They are in a position very similar to the position we were in 5/6 years ago. What’s do the do? Improve their team exponentially with 3 signings. What did we do? Clinton N’jie, N’Koudou and then nothing. I envy their ownership so much. We had the chance to properly win things and Levy sold us down the river. Nothing will change until that parasite is removed

. I envy their ownership so much
Well fuck off over to the gooners forum then and sit in a circle and have a happy wank ?
what GIF

Yes but he’d cost even more. Woy has said £50M! For a 27 yr old who isn’t the quickest. Surely the vdv and tabsoba would be better? You get abd quicket.
There is no way Levy would part with that money for him. Put another £25 million to that and we get our two main targets that fixes our centre back problem for the foreseeable future and with Vicario it’s the start of a new vibrant spine to the team. Young keeper,young potentially world class centre backs,two young exciting full backs who are learning their trade in Porro and Udogie,Biss,Bentancur and Maddison. Add in Kane ,Sonny,Deki,Solomon and if Richy can get his arse in gear we could be in a great place.
Add in a manager who has promised to play in a way that we will love then there is a lot to look forward to.
Those two centre backs change everything.

Left footed or best on the left side?
Nope

Pacey and well suited to a high line?
Nope

Would’ve been great for our last coach in a deep block heading everything and pinging long balls?
Yep

Makes it look like we are back to not having a Danny la rue what we’re doing?
Pretty much

Levy is lost again IF this is really the case. This guy would cost 30-40m and we’d faff about trying to get him cheaper then not sign him
Does have a tobyesque pass in him, best long balls in the league

(I don't believe the link)

Pragmatism over fees has nothing to do with it in their case.

60m Havertz
55m Mount
+ a bunch of Saudi luck (or dodgyness)

It also assumes we are turning down bids on players when in truth there appears to have been little interest so far.
So you quote the 2 out of 11 players they got big fees for. Selling Pulusic and Koulibally for ~20M euros each shows massive loss on both players (combined cost was over 100M euros).

Well fuck off over to the gooners forum then and sit in a circle and have a happy wank ?
what GIF
Point is they are a well run club. They have a great season and the invest substantially in the squad to get even better.

We have a great season, nearly win the league, and we do nothing.

Levy is a parisite.

And guess what - this year will be the same. For the last two summer windows I have said to people on this forum saying “we won the window” to wait till Christmas. And how right I was each time. Shambles of a club.

Andersen is a proper leader and organiser at the back, even with the potential signings of VDV and Tapsoba I didn’t see an obvious leader there, and Romero certainly isn’t one.

When you add in that we’re gonna have an inexperienced goalkeeper finding his way in the PL, the need for a strong voice back there is gonna be crucial. He would be a smart signing at the right price.

A certain Trickster on the other site suggests Levy did his usual "I want to tweak these clauses" last minute bullshit on the Van de Ven deal, and pissed off a lot of people.

Unclear whether the pissed off parties were VDV & father, the agent, o r Wolfsburg.

Most likely all 3.

Plus Levy doubtless pissed off Ange as well.

Back
Top Bottom