Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
They are linked with, and in doing so i suppose they are ready to pay it:

Market value:
Rice 90m euro
Havertz 55m euro
Timber 42m euro
Chiesa 40m euro

That´s about £200m and it´s counting very low! They are shopping from the top shelf, we are shopping from shelf 3-4.

Compared to us they haven`t had any CL since 2016-2017, they don´t get near as much match day revenue as us now with the new stadium. So YES, we should actually be able to spend MORE than Woolwich!

This window will be telling above all.

After we pipped them to CL, we spent about the same.

This time they have CL and we don’t. After the window I guess we will see the difference.

Every approach for a player gets reported?

Fail Oh No GIF by The Great British Bake Off

They are linked with, and in doing so i suppose they are ready to pay it:

Market value:
Rice 90m euro
Havertz 55m euro
Timber 42m euro
Chiesa 40m euro

Yeh cos Arse always get their man.

You seem to have more faith in Kronke than much of their fanbase.

Yeh cos Arse always get their man.

You seem to have more faith in Kronke than much of their fanbase.
I didn´t say that!

But they should be able to pay for the players they are going for right?

Having faith in Kroenke and their glory-hunting fanbase???

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

They are more ambitious than us tho!

Davies is to slow fir fB in a high pressing attacking style. He needs to go being “reliable” isn’t enough. His never gonna improve starting 11 so what’s the point? We really need to be developing younger players. The gane v Brentford should really be enough to show everyone his useless. Got beaten to east. In a high press we’d be fucked with him at LB. No point keeping him just bcos he can play LCB is no reason especially when we are not likely to play 3 CBs.
Jesus Maureen! Did Gentle Ben steal your milk or not play down his own end of the street or something?

You're such a sour puss.

That's what they have to do to stay within the new FFP rules. Amortize the transfer fee over a longer period, so it's a lower amount per year. And so far they have managed to sell players or close to selling players for pretty decent fees. Still a risky strategy, though, unless Saudi clubs bail them out with crazy transfer fees when they need it.
Thought it was limited to 5 years

Seriously ?

Ok, *sigh*....I have seen no reliable reports that any team have offered anything for any of our dead wood.

By that I mean a concrete verified offer that has been refused.

Therefore the speculation that Levy is looking for too much money is beyond the realms of speculation.
I think people ignore the fact our players are so shit nobody wants them.

That’s the real issue.

It's less insane when you have Saudi friends who will take your cast offs. Already a good handful of them are off in that direction.

Sure there will be some who say "No thanks" to playing over there, but they're going to constantly have a steady stream of in's/outs as a result of this.

I think the "Saudi" "connection" is a little bit overstated. They have money invested with Clearlake (no investor has more than 5% of their fund), but I doubt it's influencing their purchasing of Chelsea players. They offered Lloris a contract too. And Son I think (?). IIRC they also offered Alderweireld a contract. It just so happens that Chelsea's dross is a fuck of a lot better than ours.

And Chelsea are a direct competitor with PIF's very own Newcastle.

Davies is to slow fir fB in a high pressing attacking style. He needs to go being “reliable” isn’t enough. His never gonna improve starting 11 so what’s the point? We really need to be developing younger players. The gane v Brentford should really be enough to show everyone his useless. Got beaten to east. In a high press we’d be fucked with him at LB. No point keeping him just bcos he can play LCB is no reason especially when we are not likely to play 3 CBs.

Squad player. If they improved the starting XI they wouldn't exist as squad players.

We can't just fill the squad with young players. On the list of players I'd want to see go, there would be a whole bunch before Davies. He's a serviceable LB and good LCB. He doesn't back off players like Dier nor is he a ticking time bomb like Sanchez.

Yeah, I don't disagree with you on their MO. But if we have the next one lined up already, selling him on for a big profit certainly makes it more palatable. Of course, there's always the chance that the player could stay if he enjoys it here and he's doing well.

The point is, we can't be turning our back on a player that we've identified as being a priority target just because another club wants him, or may want him in the future. Nor should we be put off by whomever his agency is. If he's what we want, get him and worry about the future when it arrives. But hedge that by making sure you have scouted a number of talents that could step into the role should he move on.
And this is where my beef with Levy is. He never knew when the right time to sell is. And why was that? Because we hadn't set up a proper footballing operation. One that set the tone by establishing a philosophy and style of play, a world class scouting department, and one which continuously refreshed its plan Bs and plan Cs.

So selling a 2018 Eriksen/Dele/Rose or a 2017 Dier without this operation in place would leave you with huge gaps. But if you have this type of operation in place, you've already identified who will fill their shoes way before they might leave and will gladly take the money, because you already have a replacement lined up (and it needn't always be an up-and-coming youngster, but could also be an already established player). Basically, you know what the fuck you're doing. I'm really hoping all this reorganization is geared towards that end. The next few 2-3 years will tell.

I think the "Saudi" "connection" is a little bit overstated. They have money invested with Clearlake (no investor has more than 5% of their fund), but I doubt it's influencing their purchasing of Chelsea players. They offered Lloris a contract too. And Son I think (?). IIRC they also offered Alderweireld a contract. It just so happens that Chelsea's dross is a fuck of a lot better than ours.

And Chelsea are a direct competitor with PIF's very own Newcastle.

I dunno, getting a few of them over the line so quickly seems suspect to me. Maybe just a coincidence (and yeah, they have some bigger name squad players) but it all seems to have gone smoothly at the very least.

I don't think they care about the competition thing. The ultimate aim is to have their fingers in pies across football, across sport in general in fact. Influence across all of elite sport wherever they can get it.

I think you can replace a CB without too much difficulty. It’s a position which relies a lot on collective organisation & good shielding. Sure a Rio Ferdinand is impossible to replace, but you can get someone who can play out & has recovery pace for 40-45m without too much trouble I’d think.

If we can flog a CB for 80/90m to a mega club that sounds like a great opportunity more than anything else. Someone like Bale or Modric is irreplaceable because they’re borderline magical game changers.

champions league football GIF by BT Sport

How long has it taken us to replace Jan and Toby. We never replaced Ledley

That's a partnership, bit different. Losing two top players who had great chemistry in one position was always going to be tough. On top of that our midfield went to shit at the same time so we lost the shield, and the midfield is always hugely underrated & generally one of the main reasons a defence looks good. When Jan/Toby declined, the whole team was on a downturn.

There's competent defenders out there who, in the right setup with a keeper who isn't throwing it in his own net & a midfield which covers their arse, will keep clean sheets & help us progress upfield. I don't think they're as rare as a game changing wide player or midfield dynamo.

Back
Top Bottom