Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
If we end up with Van de Ven and he's good, it's inevitable that we have issues keeping him in 2-3 years time. Basically as soon as he has adapted to the level and proven himself, they will be fishing for Bayern, Barca, Real etc.

Could still do it but going in eyes open.

I’ve never got this line of argument really. I kinda get it with coaches because you want stability there, but if we sign this guy and he’s so good that Madrid want him in 2-3 years then that’s a HUGE profit and a player who will have been brilliant.

Players are replaceable. Especially centre backs. And at the right fees we should absolutely be a selling club so that wouldn’t worry me at all.

I think that's already been suitably countered argued in one word: Ndombele.

You want another counter-point; PEH has delivered banger performances against Man City on more than one occasion.

At this point you've found yourself saying he's our best option to be a starter (which is an even more elevated notion compared to your OG post!).... I strongly reject that idea.

...But if you're keen to reverse and retract; if we have a player that - as stands - you've deemed un-"reliable", that can be sold for a not insignificant amount of money; then keeping them would be folly.

Meh.... Tangible contribution > talent that is undelivered upon.

A less gifted PEH has pissed all over GLCs tenure... Exhibit: G&A record, availability, work-rate and the aforementioned big-game performances.

Still; sell both and that's 2/3s of Maddison & Scott funded..... Why on earth would we NOT do that if it was on the table?????

Hardly gonna deliver the pronounced width that AP is alleged to favour from his wide men.

...And they're dreaming.

EDIT: Yeh..... Another <20m MF worth a punt instead of GLC.... That Turkish lad.
If we get both Maddison and Scott, and that is funded by Lo Celso exit, I'd be happy with that.

However I stick by my original position, right now he's the best RCM in our squad so would get into our first XI in Ange's 433, but he's also unreliable due to injury frequency.

I’ve never got this line of argument really. I kinda get it with coaches because you want stability there, but if we sign this guy and he’s so good that Madrid want him in 2-3 years then that’s a HUGE profit and a player who will have been brilliant.

Players are replaceable. Especially centre backs. And at the right fees we should absolutely be a selling club so that wouldn’t worry me at all.

GK, CB, #9 are the hardest pieces to replace probably.

Still, I do agree, if he plays well enough that he's making that move in 2-3 years, we probably had good results too.

GK, CB, #9 are the hardest pieces to replace probably.

Still, I do agree, if he plays well enough that he's making that move in 2-3 years, we probably had good results too.

I think you can replace a CB without too much difficulty. It’s a position which relies a lot on collective organisation & good shielding. Sure a Rio Ferdinand is impossible to replace, but you can get someone who can play out & has recovery pace for 40-45m without too much trouble I’d think.

If we can flog a CB for 80/90m to a mega club that sounds like a great opportunity more than anything else. Someone like Bale or Modric is irreplaceable because they’re borderline magical game changers.

Maddison is going to be a deadline day deal for sure. Not sure who he ends up going to.. Leicester are desperate for cash and the buyers know it.
We should move on well before then, we just can't afford to take that kind of risk.

How are Dier and Davies still at the club, their contracts should have been terminated by now

Bald cunt is not serious about the rebuild, this football club is not going anywhere .
One Hundred Sgn GIF by SomeGoodNews

How are Dier and Davies still at the club, their contracts should have been terminated by now

Bald cunt is not serious about the rebuild, this football club is not going anywhere .

Davies is a serviceable footballer, not sure why he always gets lumped in with Dier. He’s uninspiring but as a squad player dependable enough.

Pretty much every team has a handful of players like him knocking about, the issue is when he ends up first choice, not that he is a Spurs player.

Yes, a player who becomes elite with us may decide to move, but we got good money coming into the club for Modric, Bale, Berbatov.

But Pogba ran down his contract & moved to Juve for the second time on a free.

Same with Gianluigi Donnarumma, another prominent Raiola client, when he moved from Milan to PSG on a free.

At its simplest, I think signing a Raiola player is a much riskier proposition than signing a player who's not with a "super agent".

If we roll the dice and manage to sign van der Vet, I hope our lawyers can get as much protection for our club as possible , because any contract with a Raiola player is likely to be exploited to the nth degree by the agent.

Of course I would luv it if vdv the second signed, became the new Verts, and stayed with the famous Spurs for a decade.
Every time I see his name, my blood boils. Absolute scum of the earth cunt. Glad he's dead.

I know, I know... I'm a terrible person. I don't give a shit. He was filth. That fucker ruined pricing all over the globe and is costing honest working people a fucking fortune on a weekly basis. Greedy, unscrupulous, corrupt, scumbag. Fuck him and his fucking cronies. Stay well clear of that lot.

Shame about VdV, I liked him.

Yes, a player who becomes elite with us may decide to move, but we got good money coming into the club for Modric, Bale, Berbatov.

But Pogba ran down his contract & moved to Juve for the second time on a free.

Same with Gianluigi Donnarumma, another prominent Raiola client, when he moved from Milan to PSG on a free.

At its simplest, I think signing a Raiola player is a much riskier proposition than signing a player who's not with a "super agent".

If we roll the dice and manage to sign van der Vet, I hope our lawyers can get as much protection for our club as possible , because any contract with a Raiola player is likely to be exploited to the nth degree by the agent.

Of course I would luv it if vdv the second signed, became the new Verts, and stayed with the famous Spurs for a decade.
I don't disagree with you mate about the Raiola bunch, but as long as we go into any deal with, as Richard Arlison out it, eyes wide open, then I see no reason to fear the future, as long as we have contingency.

I've said previously, squad refresh is massive. Knowing when to sell a player is a huge part of that. More important though is having the replacement already lined up. If we sign a player KNOWING that he'll likely be off to pastures new, then make sure your succession plan is in place.

If things pan out the way we all hope, then we'll be in a position where either the player wants to stay, or his replacement wants to come because we're a step up.

Davies is a serviceable footballer, not sure why he always gets lumped in with Dier. He’s uninspiring but as a squad player dependable enough.

Pretty much every team has a handful of players like him knocking about, the issue is when he ends up first choice, not that he is a Spurs player.
It's testament to how bad Reguillon and Sess are, that Davies still feels like the most secure LB we have. Admittedly, he can't play in a four and he's poor in the air, but his positioning is good, he knows when to progress the ball and he's simply a better footballer than those two.

Persic was obviously better in the final third, but he's been a weird signing that I won't be especially sad to see the back of.

It's testament to how bad Reguillon and Sess are, that Davies still feels like the most secure LB we have. Admittedly, he can't play in a four and he's poor in the air, but his positioning is good, he knows when to progress the ball and he's simply a better footballer than those two.

Persic was obviously better in the final third, but he's been a weird signing that I won't be especially sad to see the back of.

Good professional & reasonably competent at both ends. Struggles in several departments and he's not going to progress play like a Lenglet, but he's more reliable and will actually stick a boot in for a tackle. A coaches player. The fact he can also fill in at CB (esp. in a 3) is good too.

Perisic was awful. A very obvious case of stats lying. He was good at set pieces so got a healthy amount of assists, but otherwise his attacking contribution was a few great crosses to Kane. On the other hand, a total liability defensively. He just isn't a wing-back in this league at that age.

A shame as in his prime a highly efficient, dangerous footballer. Tore England a new one in the WC. I prefer him as a wide attacking option and I hope that's where he's used from now on .. if he stays here.

Back
Top Bottom