Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
This season should be more about development of players than chasing pure results I feel. I think Spurs fans have to accept that the cumulative effects disastrous decisions made over the past 3 years have sent us right back to 2014-15.
Been sometime since I've seen an SP1200 as an avatar.

I gave a 6 or 7 yesterday but I was feeling generous. While I do like who we've brought into the club, it's simply nowhere near enough.

And when you consider Chelsea have just improved a Champions League winning squad with Lukaku and Saul Niguez in the same window...

Suppose we just have to accept we are where we are, and are owned by the same clown as in previous years.

You can sign out of contract players, as long as they were out of contract at the time of the window SLAMMING shut and you have a free slot for them to be registered.
I see, so we'd be looking at a lesser sort of player but someone strong enough to fend of challenges and a good header of the ball. Probably someone coming to the end of their career.

What about Daniel Sturridge? (he's 32).

I see, so we'd be looking at a lesser sort of player but someone strong enough to fend of challenges and a good header of the ball. Probably someone coming to the end of their career.

What about Daniel Sturridge? (he's 32).
I doubt we'll sign anyone tbh, but I'd take Llorente over Sturridge. No point in your back up being made of glass.

A significant number of people here said throughout the window that "the most important thing this summer is to shift the deadwood... Give them away for free if necessary!"; many of which have no love for Levy.

Talking bollocks as usual, Mr Fluffy.

TeamSpirit™ TeamSpirit™ - what part of this do you disagree with?

Thanks everyone. This table is pretty much what I was looking for (10 players in, 15 out):

...and this one, that puts names to our numbers:

It's nice to see an overview of who's left and who's arrived, all in one (or two) places.
Might like this one too :tanguythumb:

An average window to my mind, but also hugely disappointing.

I posted earlier in the window that now was the time for us to take a gamble, as the opportunity was there for us to steal a march on many of our competitors and get in talents that we had far less competition on.
If any time was right for us to spend upwards of £100M, it was now, as next Summer I feel we will be shopping in a market that has quite a few more competitors for signatures. So, whilst I am happy with the acquisitions we have made, I really don't feel we have taken a golden opportunity to do far more.

Like the vast majority on here, my biggest gripe is that, once again, we don't have that additional striker. Reliance on Scarlett is, to me, a bigger gamble than splashing £15-20M on someone like Édouard. At 17, Scarlett has at least another 3 years before he'd be looking to make an impact. He may be good, but he's not really that "generational" type talent that you can see stepping into the EPL without an issue.

Having said the above, I don't know what our current finances are like, so I don't know where that gamble would put us if it didn't work out.

On the whole though, it feels as though the business done has been "just enough" to keep the fans from outright rioting. Not great, not terrible, just average.

On the whole though, disappointing.
Yeah. Not awful, not good. Nowhere near enough if we want to be a top 4 team. So another season of debating whether it’s good to be in europa or not.

A couple of seasons ago we finished 4th & was in the champions league final.
Oh right I get you . Potential is another word for if . I think Toby has been replaced & the other transfers are relying a lot on hope rather than strengthening the XI . They may well become incredible players but they also may well not.

I think the lesson learned from last season was “ room for improvement “ , have we ? Personally, I’ve no idea , it’s just , as you say , potential.
These are the people that told us last summer was a good window. So take no notice of their football knowledge.

Our window was better than Liverpool's and City's, worse than United's and Chelsea's, and about on par with Leicester's. Pretty decent overall.

These are the people that told us last summer was a good window. So take no notice of their football knowledge.
How was it not a good window? Reguilon, Hojbjerg are two starters we bought for €47m, Rodon for €12m was good value for a British prospect, only Doherty and Hart were horrible, and Doherty was €17m, and Hart was on a free (and already gone).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom