Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is one thing that confuses me with our potential transfer dealings. So we seem to be after either Martinez of Vlahovic, seems we want Tomayasu and De Vrij and were interested in Messi and a few other players.

Yet the manager who possibly could have made all this come together as a neat package, Conte, wasn't wanted and a decent manager with no track record of success or working with the top players.

I'm a bit stumped.
Conte was wanted, I'm sure there was some effort to bring him in, but he'll have wanted absolute assurance at time of signing that the club would spend a significant amount on players and keep Kane. He'll probably have requested Hakimi, or some specific few players that at the time the club weren't willing to promise. The club was likely putting forward a more modest spend, dependant on outgoings, sponsors etc. and it's still not fully clear if our spending will come from the sale of Kane. Conte wanted absolute assurance and when the club wouldn't give him that he lost faith in the ambition of the project. That was always my read on it anyway. Plus Levy probably found Conte to be harsh and mean and I can imagine he perhaps didn't want such an abrasive personality to deal with after a tough few years that will have bruised his ego.

My apologies for the off topic, but do you know anything about new sponsorships?

Whether the Getir deal could be expanded to training kit/ground/stadium naming rights
Or whether there's some truth in ongoing talks with a ME airline
I think I read somewhere that Pepsi are in the frame.
They used to sponsor Denver NFL stadium but cancelled in 2020.
Obviously would have a major bearing on our transfer kitty if we do get the naming rights sorted this summer.

It does seem odd that if Inter are really that broke that just selling one player fixes it while they start bringing more in.

Either they're not as broke as made out, or they're just stalling for time until replacements are in.
The Chinese company owning Inter are broke and recently closed the football club in their home town in China after selling off players to raise cash for their core businesses.

Inter are not in a good financial state due to covid, but if Chinese owners want to sell off best players and replace them with cheaper players to ship excess cash back to China ..... then that's what Inter will have to do.

So yes, they may be seeking to bring in cheaper replacements. Or Inter may be resisting heiir owners wishes etc. All will be come clear in the remainder of the window

It's funny how silent all the Conte lovers are now, he (with obliging owners) has nearly bankrupted the Club. I think they would be happy for Spurs winning the league once with him blowing a billion for it to then sell all their players the following season and go out of business!

I'm no Conte lover, but I don't think that's fair. The Eriksen deal would seem to show that Conte had little to no say in signings. As is often the case with managers in Italy.

Load of bollocks to be honest, if a club spends its way to bankruptcy, that's on the owner/board. The coaches job is to win games. Conte did his job, the owners have failed in theirs.

Many Spurs fans took his side of the versions that came out when we spoke to him with a view to become our manager, all gleefully sticking the knife into our club over his comments. When the reality is he would only come to a club that spends wildly out of control or is back by Russian mineral wealth. Fuck that!

Conte was wanted, I'm sure there was some effort to bring him in, but he'll have wanted absolute assurance at time of signing that the club would spend a significant amount on players and keep Kane. He'll probably have requested Hakimi, or some specific few players that at the time the club weren't willing to promise. The club was likely putting forward a more modest spend, dependant on outgoings, sponsors etc. and it's still not fully clear if our spending will come from the sale of Kane. Conte wanted absolute assurance and when the club wouldn't give him that he lost faith in the ambition of the project. That was always my read on it anyway. Plus Levy probably found Conte to be harsh and mean and I can imagine he perhaps didn't want such an abrasive personality to deal with

I think our new players will be funded by loans with right to buy (ie mainly paid for in a year or so time) plus say maybe up to £100m new money (mainly Spurs raised circa £250m to fund repayment of £175m HM Government covid loan, giving a £75m pot) plus sale proceeds of players.

Romero and Gollini coming in on loan with right to buy shows how useful that process is to stretch funds. So with that budget we might bring in say 6 new players (plus of course Skipp and Sessegnon back from loan - giving 8 new players or about a third of the squad being new players)

Obviously if Kane goes the loan pot increases a lot

As you say, I suspect Conti wanted a much bigger guranteed transfer fund pot, which is probably impossible for any club outside maybe PSG, ManCity Chelsea and Real Madrid. So he hadn't understood that most clubs genuinely don't have much cash for new players today/

Many Spurs fans took his side of the versions that came out when we spoke to him with a view to become our manager, all gleefully sticking the knife into our club over his comments. When the reality is he would only come to a club that spends wildly out of control or is back by Russian mineral wealth. Fuck that!
I think what pissed people off was that the club met with him and were "shocked" to discover that he wanted money to spend on our average squad. With Joe Lewis being as tight as a duck's arse, the meeting was over. Conte didn't bankrupt Juventus did he?

Your comment reads as "Inter are going skint, isn't Levy wonderful for not getting Conte?"

No.

I think I read somewhere that Pepsi are in the frame.
They used to sponsor Denver NFL stadium but cancelled in 2020.
Obviously would have a major bearing on our transfer kitty if we do get the naming rights sorted this summer.
Would maybe make even more sense when you take into account the NFL games

I don't see why he should have to convince Levy, he was appointed to look after the football side so let him and Nuno get on with getting the players. Levy should just provide the money and stfu.

This post just proves how far from any kind of reality most posters are :avbshock:

Yes, Patrici is appointed to look after the football side of things. But Levy is still chairman of the club.
If we are to make a record purchase (Martinez price most likely would exceed 70 mil EUR), it is absolutely logical that decisions which have that kind of impact WILL be confirmed with chairman. In current climate this 70 mil is 17-20% of total yearly revenue of the club ffs.

You don't expect that if Apple would be purchasing some microchip producing company for like 50 bn USD, then this decision would be made by head of production / engeneering?!? Absolutely obvious that such kind of decisions go through boardroom and CEO.
Just the department it will be associated with will make proposal, gather info, lay out benefits and downsides etc.

The Chinese company owning Inter are broke and recently closed the football club in their home town in China after selling off players to raise cash for their core businesses.

Inter are not in a good financial state due to covid, but if Chinese owners want to sell off best players and replace them with cheaper players to ship excess cash back to China ..... then that's what Inter will have to do.

So yes, they may be seeking to bring in cheaper replacements. Or Inter may be resisting heiir owners wishes etc. All will be come clear in the remainder of the window
Hopefully their ultras wreak havoc and attack the owners

It's funny how silent all the Conte lovers are now, he (with obliging owners) has nearly bankrupted the Club. I think they would be happy for Spurs winning the league once with him blowing a billion for it to then sell all their players the following season and go out of business!

Inters owners are broke and are selling off assets everywhere to recover the costs.
Conte didn't bankrupt Juve or Chelsea.

This post just proves how far from any kind of reality most posters are :avbshock:

Yes, Patrici is appointed to look after the football side of things. But Levy is still chairman of the club.
If we are to make a record purchase (Martinez price most likely would exceed 70 mil EUR), it is absolutely logical that decisions which have that kind of impact WILL be confirmed with chairman. In current climate this 70 mil is 17-20% of total yearly revenue of the club ffs.

You don't expect that if Apple would be purchasing some microchip producing company for like 50 bn USD, then this decision would be made by head of production / engeneering?!? Absolutely obvious that such kind of decisions go through boardroom and CEO.
Just the department it will be associated with will make proposal, gather info, lay out benefits and downsides etc.
Hmmmm not sure I fully agree. They must have a budget defined for players from Levy and the FD….. I would hope they don’t need to present a business case to Levy to sign off the footballing qualities of potential players. If it forms part of the budget allocated for players, then Levy’s input should be minimal

That is true.

What you said though (and what I commented on) was, Conte played a major part in bankrupting the club, which is isn't true, best as I can tell.
He'll only be involved in a Club that spends, openly gave that as a reason why he rebuffed us. Which prompted so many of our own fans to side with an ex-chav legend over Spurs.

He's waiting for that next vanity project no doubt, waiting for the words we've got a shit load of money to invest, just as he got from his previous clubs. Apart from links with us who else in this post-COVID times has he been linked with, he is supposed to be a top 5 in the world manager? No one else is spunking the dosh.

I get the impression Nuno will be favouring a 4-3-3 this season at least to start with.
The Martinez talk sounds like a Kane replacement to me.

We brought all our Bale replacements before confirming his sale under the pretence that they were transfers we would have made / can afford regardless if I remember correctly.

At this point I just want to see City squirm and screwed for every penny.
At the very least it will mess with their start of the season. They looked bang average going forward with all the attacking midfielders they can throw their tainted money at - against a side we stuck 4 goals past in their 'do or die' Champions League qualification final just a few months ago.

On the other hand, if we get to deadline day and shut the Kane door on their faces - the chances are they wont have a replacement (certainly not of that quality) until next summer at the earliest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom