Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brentford in the Championship play off finals - so will need to wait and see whether they win those to see if Toney is likely to become available (really cannot see Toney leaving Brentford if they are promoted to PL.

But it does open the question as to whether there is anyone we would take from Bournemouth into our squad - I'd guess David Brooks might be the best option as a creative mid (5 gioals & 7 assists in 26 starts plus off bench) often played as RW where he might be a better alternative to Lamela/Moura ? Still only age 23.

Moving onto the League 1 playoffs and Eyoma has another start at Lincoln City (vesus Sunderland where Lincoln have a 2-0 start after the first leg).
Danjuma probably the best player from Bournemouth, what I've seen of CCV would have him in our squad over Dier and Sanchez

Danjuma probably the best player from Bournemouth, what I've seen of CCV would have him in our squad over Dier and Sanchez
Both are better than CCV. He's a solid Championship level CB, was absolutely tore asunder against Southampton in the cup a while back. Can't at all handle pace.

As frustrating as Dier and Sanchez are, they're decent PL level players who have been part (and cause) of a dysfunctional squad.

Haven't seen a lot of Danjuma, but I see he was Bournemouth player of the season.

I've always liked CCV, maybe not a first class CB, but certainly a decent option. And at aged 22 still a lot of experience and with good coaching might well improve. And a Club trained player

He’s got some really likeable qualities, he’s a busy little fucker, pretty tenacious and technically good.

My only issue would be finding a distinct role for him in certain structures. He’s not your robust 6 type that could anchor your midfield (Lyon generally use Mendes or Guimaraes for that) and I don’t think he’s super creative/incisive in an 8 type remit (which is why Paqueta has played there instead a lot).

He’s just one of those good all rounders who doesn’t quite excel at at anything and maybe lacks a bit of physicality.

I’d happily have him here instead of Winks and Sissoko, but there are a few others I’d have ahead of him on my wish list.
Who are those if you don't mind?

Brentford in the Championship play off finals - so will need to wait and see whether they win those to see if Toney is likely to become available (really cannot see Toney leaving Brentford if they are promoted to PL.

But it does open the question as to whether there is anyone we would take from Bournemouth into our squad - I'd guess David Brooks might be the best option as a creative mid (5 goals & 7 assists in 26 starts plus off bench) often played as RW where he might be a better alternative to Lamela/Moura ? Still only age 23, and one season in PL . And HG

Moving onto the League 1 playoffs and Eyoma has another start at Lincoln City (vesus Sunderland where Lincoln have a 2-0 start after the first leg).
I can’t believe Brooks is only 23! He was very impressive and showed lots of potential before his big injuries, I wonder if he is still the same player?

Both are better than CCV. He's a solid Championship level CB, was absolutely tore asunder against Southampton in the cup a while back. Can't at all handle pace.

As frustrating as Dier and Sanchez are, they're decent PL level players who have been part (and cause) of a dysfunctional squad.
CCV hopefully should be sold for Bournemouth. He's become 1st choice for them and done very well. A couple of million is what we can hope for.

Dier/Sanchez are crap and tbh I question whether Dier with his lack of positioning and brain is a PL level defender but anyway..

CCV hopefully should be sold for Bournemouth. He's become 1st choice for them and done very well. A couple of million is what we can hope for.

Dier/Sanchez are crap and tbh I question whether Dier with his lack of positioning and brain is a PL level defender but anyway..
They're not great but for all their faults both have managed several good and even some excellent performances in the PL this year. Both have played fairly deep into a world cup tournament.

Again, I'd like to move on from both, both have cost us points this year, but they're not crap. Our issues go beyond their individual shortcomings.

The disrespect toward Hojbjerg lol

Skipp can do better? Bissouma is better?

Hojbjerg is established PL player and nor to talk about Denmark. Bissouma is year younger and he's not improvement over Hojbjerg.

Suddenly, no-ona is good enough. Bollocks.
He's a world class arm flailer, that's for sure. I mean shite on the ball and can't pick up a man, but for skipping, pointing and arm flailing, no one could be better.

They're not great but for all their faults both have managed several good and even some excellent performances in the PL this year. Both have played fairly deep into a world cup tournament.

Again, I'd like to move on from both, both have cost us points this year, but they're not crap. Our issues go beyond their individual shortcomings.
Sometimes I don't know what to think. I mean, I don't like either of them, but if you take the time to watch other PL CBs, they have plenty of loose moments, too. But with some of those other PL CBs, I can see obvious strengths, whether it is electric pace, aerial ability, brute strength, ability on the ball, or maybe a combo of 2-3 of those things. Then there is the other stuff like positional sense/anticipation, composure and the ability to organise. And I look at our guys-and with my hand on my heart-I am not sure what their strengths are.

It's getting to the stage where, if we learned we were signing the likes of Mings, Tosin, Diop, Webster or Andersen, could we justify being up in arms over it? That tells you how little faith I have in our crew.

I think we sometimes fall into the trap of thinking our own players are worse than they are because we see every minute they play and see all of their mistakes, and we think that other clubs' players couldn't possibly be that bad, but we might be surprised.

Last edited:
Always felt CCV wasn't treated right. He wasn't Sérgio Ramos, but he also wasn't as error prone as Dier or Sanchez and also is younger than both. Would like us to give him a real opportunity.

Said that the misjudgement of talent in this club seems a big problem. We play donkeys like Sissoko, Winks, Dier and Sanchez while let talent like Madueke go away cause they won't have opportunity here. Even Bentaleb is a much better player than Sissoko and Winks. Foyth is also a better defender than Dier and Sanchez.

But it does open the question as to whether there is anyone we would take from Bournemouth into our squad - I'd guess David Brooks might be the best option as a creative mid (5 goals & 7 assists in 26 starts plus off bench) often played as RW where he might be a better alternative to Lamela/Moura ? Still only age 23, and one season in PL . And HG

Brooks would be a nice option off the bench over guys like Moura and Lamela. I'm not sure he is up to being a starter, especially with his injury history but as we saw last year with the Europa league games and when Ndombele or GLC were not available having some creativity on the bench/in the 2nd team would be nice. Plus his HG status also helps as well.

I think replacing Moura and Lamela with guys like Brooks, Buendia, Periera, Olise is exactly what we need to be doing. Honest would be fine replacing Bergwijn with one of them as well if you can get a decent price for him.

Sanchez is still only 24 years old. Dier is 27. It's usual for centre backs to improve as they reach there late 20's, very few are brilliant at a young age. Yes both Dier and Sanchez are guilty of brainfarts but I think our biggest problem is the protection in front of the defence no matter who our central defenders are.

I'd guess David Brooks might be the best option as a creative mid (5 goals & 7 assists in 26 starts plus off bench) often played as RW where he might be a better alternative to Lamela/Moura ? Still only age 23, and one season in PL . And HG

I like Brooks, but I think his injury record, especially the type of injury, makes him a risk.

Sanchez is still only 24 years old. Dier is 27. It's usual for centre backs to improve as they reach there late 20's, very few are brilliant at a young age. Yes both Dier and Sanchez are guilty of brainfarts but I think our biggest problem is the protection in front of the defence no matter who our central defenders are.
Coaching #1 issue imo, by a long way. If Dier or Sanchez played under Dyche the last two years I think they'd be well thought of, Sanchez maybe even a coveted defender.

Both have shown enough, especially with the ball that it is not age but ability holding them back from being top level PL players.

The decisions that Dier makes with the ball at his feet is not because he is 27, it is because he absolutely sucks with the ball at his feet. I don't think top level teams can get by with CB's that are terrible at playing the ball. They don't all have to be world class but they have to be comfortable or it puts too much pressure on the other players and it is too easy to pressure that player to cause major trouble.

Sanchez has also shown that he needs to be protected by a better CB to limit how much he has to do. Again I don't think you can expect to compete at the top 4 level with a CB that can't be expected to think the game for himself.

That is not because of who is in front of them, that is clear limitations in their game that puts them into trouble all on their own. Yes improving the guys in front of them would limit the chances they have to screw it up but they still have those major flaws and that is not something you can get away with in your CB's if you want to be competitive.

Both have shown enough, especially with the ball that it is not age but ability holding them back from being top level PL players.

The decisions that Dier makes with the ball at his feet is not because he is 27, it is because he absolutely sucks with the ball at his feet. I don't think top level teams can get by with CB's that are terrible at playing the ball. They don't all have to be world class but they have to be comfortable or it puts too much pressure on the other players and it is too easy to pressure that player to cause major trouble.

Sanchez has also shown that he needs to be protected by a better CB to limit how much he has to do. Again I don't think you can expect to compete at the top 4 level with a CB that can't be expected to think the game for himself.

That is not because of who is in front of them, that is clear limitations in their game that puts them into trouble all on their own. Yes improving the guys in front of them would limit the chances they have to screw it up but they still have those major flaws and that is not something you can get away with in your CB's if you want to be competitive.
I'd say one is dozy and the other is feverish.

Leicester and WH bid 30m for Tarkowski last year, and he's no better than either Dier or Sanchez.

I think he is an upgrade on either of those guys but not much. He is limited as well but seems to be much more aware of those limits so he doesn't play as reckless.

Also seems to take control and actually do it effectively, rather than just scream and point like Dier thinking that makes him a leader, while actually doing nothing effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom