Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Free next summer (obviously pending new contract)

André Onana

Serge Aurier - Niklas Süle - Matthias Ginter - Marcel Halstenberg

Franck Kessié --- Denis Zakaria

Paul Pogba

Ousmane Dembélé - Kylian Mbappé - Lorenzo Insigne​

Not a bad team lol

Here's a few more...

Eduardo Camavinga, Pedri, Marcel Sabitzer, Paulo Dybala, Andrea Belotti, Ansu Fati
We already have one Fati thank you very much :tanguythumb:

Just sticking to the top 4 contenders in the PL -

Hazard - Chelsea to RM
Coutinho - LP to Barc
Lukaku - Utd to Inter
Sterling - LP to City
Suarez - LP to Barc
Di Maria - Utd to PSG

etc etc.

We've obviously sold some of our best players in the late 00s and early 10s and we've been able to get stronger and stronger. Recently, ENIC has been very reluctant to sell, even when players have made it known that they're unhappy and want to move on. This is a mistake.
I'm fairly certain Di Maria was sold for less than he was bought and obviously Lukaka wasn't sold at his peak either.

Those transfers are more often the exception to the rule for those clubs. For every Coutinho sold at the right time, there is a Phil Jones staying far past his best by date.

we have been generous to watford giving them our talisman, wonder if we can have theirs in sarr.

we are missing a good signing in him he is what we need badly, even more then traore because he can play st too.
Agree - unselfish and devestating pace. Take him over Traore all day long

The only "big" club that I can think of that has a relative consistent model of selling off its best players at their peak value would be Dortmund. Which other clubs that aspire to win their domestic leagues and compete for trophies are ripping out key members of their starting 11 to sell them at peak value with any regularity?

Atletico Madrid are also quite compareable to us, in trying to catch up to some financial powerhouses (until now), and having their hand forced, when a player got really good.

Granted, on the flip they've splashed the cash also.

I'm fairly certain Di Maria was sold for less than he was bought and obviously Lukaka wasn't sold at his peak either.

Those transfers are more often the exception to the rule for those clubs. For every Coutinho sold at the right time, there is a Phil Jones staying far past his best by date.
His point is we shouldn’t be terrified of selling a player at his peak if the team can fill the void and we can use the money to address weaknesses in the team.

Obviously selling Kane at any point would have been a bad move, but dele and dier are two examples of players that we could have sold at peak and probably found a better replacement with.

Just the point I was about to make.

It's sort of admirable that we are buying for the future,. (And it's just potential after all) but it's the now that needs fixing.

To get to the end of the window without 2 or 3 more signings would be a failure.
Is it? If you've undertaken a rebuild then that means you have accepted short term pain for longer term gain. Do you think we can right the wrongs from a few years ago at the same time as competing for things? Quality, speed, and cost...choose two because on our budget you can't have all three.

Leipzig look like they are going down that road as well.
They are an interesting case study, but it's certainly a different operating model than most clubs I'd say.
His point is we shouldn’t be terrified of selling a player at his peak if the team can fill the void and we can use the money to address weaknesses in the team.

Obviously selling Kane at any point would have been a bad move, but dele and dier are two examples of players that we could have sold at peak and probably found a better replacement with.
Sure, but hindsight is 20/20. We don't know when a player is at his peak.

By that logic then:

Carrick, Modric and Bale wasn't sold at their peak.

For every Bale, there's a Alderweireld staying. Or an Eriksen who stayed as we tried to convince him, rather than sell at premium price. You're cherry-picking imo.

Is this guy always so funny? I mean I laughed at his voice when I first heard him, then I felt like a dick for it. Now I'd rather hear from him then AliG

The best one was when he was asking Mourinho a question over Zoom in a press conference, and he had his washing machine screaming in the background 😂

By that logic then:

Carrick, Modric and Bale wasn't sold at their peak.

For every Bale, there's a Alderweireld staying. Or an Eriksen who stayed as we tried to convince him, rather than sell at premium price. You're cherry-picking imo.
Sure they weren't. But did we get no value out of getting another year out of Modric rather than sell to Chelsea?

I'm not cherry picking at all.

Deciding the right time to sell a key player when you are trying to build a really good team isn't about just how much money can we get for him now and is it less or more than tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom