Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Don't know what this is meant to address. You mean the plan to keep us good during our time of Stadium austerity/move? Seemed to work swimmingly. Do you have memories of another more successful 5 year period? Do tell.

But I asked why the rush and why can't we wait another 5 years as you state? That has nothing to do with Poch.

So far I'm really only elated about 1 purchase. the rest? Meh. Hopefully these new player's peak powers will see us start playing some scintillating stuff. I have the feeling our football is about to explode.

Care to be a little more precise as to what 'very special' would be?
If you don't know what it's meant to address then sadly I can't help you, as for the stadium move it worked ok other than a delay which for a project of that size is inevitable.
At 52 mate and having lived through the club winning 9 trophies then yes there has been better spells seeing as we won nothing during that period.
As for not waiting another five years, I'm sure the club with financial uncertainty over covid don't want to be without CL money for too long and who can blame them.
If I knew what very special was going to be I would give you the winning lottery numbers, however I'm easy on the side of positive and feel the season could end with success.
Enjoy the game Sunday and enjoy your weekend.
:mourthumb:

Do you think any of those guys are ready to play in the PL right now?

If Todibo is really available for the 15m rumoured we could easily get him and Skriniar this window.

Do we think Skriniar is ready for the PL? Genuine question.

Do the CB's we have seem like they are coping brilliantly. I guess my point is that none of those would really scare me any more than I'm scared now, but hopefully they might offer something new to the mix and get stronger as they go along.

I guess we could buy both, but would need to shift a couple though. Foyth +1 ? Although we've already lost Vert I guess.

Do we think Skriniar is ready for the PL? Genuine question.

Do the CB's we have seem like they are coping brilliantly. I guess my point is that none of those would really scare me any more than I'm scared now, but hopefully they might offer something new to the mix and get stronger as they go along.

I guess we could buy both, but would need to shift a couple though. Foyth +1 ? Although we've already lost Vert I guess.

I am not disagreeing, I am asking out of curiosity. I personally would rather guys like you mention (that style/age/profile) making mistakes than watching Dier and Sanchez repeatedly doing it time after time.

I think Skriniar is not only ready but likely will be one of the best CBs in the league.

Yes, yes a thousand times yes. This is what i am proposing. Sorry if I gave you the impression that I was talking about older players.

No I didn’t think that I think we are on the same page that many of our current issues now and going forward are due to our past purchases, current purchases and seemingly lack of planning for the future when it comes to our team.

I guess for me when I hear we should go out and get an x style player often times I agree but then would say “ok who is x?” and then people struggle so I find it hard to complain that we aren’t getting it when we can’t come up with an actual player.

It comes up a lot more with my hockey discussions but we have already been down that road!

About Skriniar, I think it´s important to consider his last 3 seasons for Inter - and not just the last one. His defensive numbers - very consistent from 2017 to 2019 in Serie A - dropped significantly under Conte. We all know the reasons.

But people are comparing his aerial game to Toby´s. Skriniar has won more than 2 aerial duels per game in two of his last three Serie A seasons - it dropped to 1.2 last term.

He had 2.3 and 1.9 tackles (2017-18 and 18-19 respectively) - last season it dropped to 1.1.

4.5 and 3.8 clearances - last season it dropped to 2.6.

Still, in all those seasons he ended with more than 90% of pass completion.

I´m not saying his biggest strength is his aerial game, or that Skriniar is exactly at Van Dijk´s level. He would come to the Premier League for the first time and he would come to a far from perfect defensive system at Spurs. But Jose sees him as a big player, and there are plenty of reasons to agree with him. Skriniar is a very good and ambitious signing and he will for sure make us better.

Not saying this isn't a vital aspect of the position but you can take the greatest reader of the game and put them in a modern tactical setup and they will be exposed because they are too slow. Nothing worse than a slow assed CB chasing after a fleet footed forward with no chance of catching him. I'm not sure you should divorce any 1 criterion from the other but there should be a base level of athleticism. Likewise there should be a base level of football understanding as well.

And were shit before Vic and Wanyama were there to guard them. Remember? With the sieve that was Bentaleb and Mason pairing? We gave up a lot of goals and that pairing didn't become 'great' until they had that protection.

See above.

You do recognize that Varane is mighty quick right?
Sure the likes of Bobby Moore and Franco Baresi would probably be exposed in some modern tactical set ups, but they were both such fantastic readers of the game that I'm certain there would be elite club coaches who would create a tactical scheme to include them.
Both could definitely play for Conte's Inter team, as an example, as Godin proved last season.
But reading the game is crucial. Judas' pace frequently came to his rescue because he was a very ordinary, and clumsy, reader of the game.
Some players - like Varane and Ledley King - have both pace and excellent reading of the game, and that makes them elite CBs.
"Vic and Wanyama" is probably a typo. Yes, Wanyama was briefly a beast before we broke him, but Toby and Jan's understanding made them hugely effective. The sum of the parts was better than the individuals alone.

I guess for me when I hear we should go out and get an x style player often times I agree but then would say “ok who is x?” and then people struggle so I find it hard to complain that we aren’t getting it when we can’t come up with an actual player.
Yeah, we are on the same page about the other stuff. but on this here I can think of some players but that has no bearing on things. The problem is that DL and his mates can't think of players beyond the transfermarkt player's page sorted for short contracts. And you add that to Mou's lack of desire ot work with youth and you see how this could be a problem.

Hockey begins and ends with the Rangers.

You think Van Dijk is shit?
Relatively speaking of course.

Anyone mentioning him in the same breath as Maldini or Thuram etc didn’t see football before 2010.
That’s the problem here, he’s being compared to Maguire (that’s 180M the pair), Zouma, Ake, Otamendi, Holding, Sokrates.
Levels.

Try and put him up there with Hummels, Koeman, Cannavaro, Dessailly, Nesta, Puyol, Ramos though......naaaaaaaaaah

Back
Top Bottom