Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

But if in 2 years time Reguilon is enjoying himself, will he want to go back to Madrid to be a back up LB ? Probably unlikely - I'd guess 75% + chance he does not.

If Reguilon is back at Madrid in 2 years time, he's either going to be their starting LB, or they can get a deal in place to shift him for more than the 45m they'd spend to buy him back from us. Either way, as you pointed out, we're either going to be in good shape with either Cirkin or Sessegnon ready to take over that spot, or we can just get a new LB if we need one. If LB is covered by Cirkin/Sessegnon, then we basically are getting 45m straight into our transfer budget that can be used to strengthen other areas of the squad.

Reguilon might be back at Real Madrid in 2 years time - but we get our money back plus £15m if he does go.

Madrid have what they think are 2 very good LB's who are young with Reguilon being their 3rd best.

But if in 2 years time Reguilon is enjoying himself, will he want to go back to Madrid to be a back up LB ? Probably unlikely - I'd guess 75% + chance he does not.

But if he does we will be in a lot better chance to buy another top LB, and by that time both Sessegnon and Cirkin may be contenders anyway.

I think its a good call to buy him now if JM thinks Reguilon is a good LB now

I like the move and think it was 100% the right call to buy him even with the buy back clause.

I just think when looking at the club in two years him leaving is a possibility. I am not sure how likely it is because with RM it is hard to say. ZZ could be gone and the new guy might want to make changes with Reguilon being an easy guy to bring back and make those changes.

He could play well for us and still not be deemed good enough for RM, he could play well for us and been seen as a good option to sell for a ton of money for RM.

I think I read he is a Madrid kid that dreamed of playing for them growing up so if he gets the chance to go back I think he will, not that he really has a choice in the matter.

I think if you treat everyone the same it is well balanced but if you look at the highlighted starters it is pretty top heavy. Maybe every squad is like this but it is easy to see in 2 years us potentially needing 7-8 new starters in the squad. A lot of the guys at the bottom of the list have a lot of questions about them.

Hopefully the young players develop to their full potential.

The positive thing is that if Lo Celso and Ndomble can perform to their potential and stay healthy that is a good, young midfield to start to build around and Kane and Son (hopefully) can still be world class or close to it.

IMO we were always going to be looking to replace Lloris and Toby next summer - and likely one or both of Moura and Lamela, whilst buying Bergwijn in January who should be a more experienced player and settled into Spurs by then so maybe only one to buy.

Fact is a footballers career is only about 10 years, with maybe 5 or 5 years at the top (Kane being an exception) which means we always will be looking to buy 2 or 3 players a year and hope one or more from our academy every year just to keep going and hopefully improving the squad

I like the move and think it was 100% the right call to buy him even with the buy back clause.

I just think when looking at the club in two years him leaving is a possibility. I am not sure how likely it is because with RM it is hard to say. ZZ could be gone and the new guy might want to make changes with Reguilon being an easy guy to bring back and make those changes.

He could play well for us and still not be deemed good enough for RM, he could play well for us and been seen as a good option to sell for a ton of money for RM.

I think I read he is a Madrid kid that dreamed of playing for them growing up so if he gets the chance to go back I think he will, not that he really has a choice in the matter.

Agreed - except I think Reguilon has the right to refuse to return to Madrid and nothing they can do about it......and if he's happy at Spurs he might just refuse

Seems obvious to me Sissoko will be off . Wasn't involved on Sunday or yesterday.

himself, Rose, Foyth, Gedson are all disposable.
Bizarrely, if Sissoko (& enough other non-HG players) go, I can see Gedson staying as the "right-sided midfield runner" in Mourinho's "squad puzzle".
The Mendes connection is obviously complicated.
It may also be the case that if we terminate the loan early, we get hit with a financial penalty clause by Benfica. Which I'm sure Levy won't want to pay.

Yeah and the guy who thinks it’s Levys fault that Aurier can’t take a throw in
He was part of the committee that agreed to bring Aurier in, so yeah he is partly responsible. That's why I've told you that scouting and recruitment needs to improve.

Agreed - except I think Reguilon has the right to refuse to return to Madrid and nothing they can do about it......and if he's happy at Spurs he might just refuse

I did not hear that.

That is very interesting if true, especially if the rumours about him potentially having a falling out with Zidane's son or Zidane are true.

If it's all about athleticism & ability to recover, then Japhet Tanganga & Davinson Sanchez, coached by Ledley King, are our partnership of the future.
It's not 'all about athleticism & ability to recover' but there should be an athleticism threshold under which a person should not be considered. Skriniar will not be an effective 1v1 defender in the PL because he is not quick enough. Sure, you can try to tactically limit those instances but that will not be foolproof. He will get got at and he will be exposed. And beyond that his 1v1 defending is more like Jan's than it is Toby's. I will let yall see that for yourselves and determine what those differences are.

We don't have 1 CB that is a good 1v1 defender. All we are buying is a defender that is a perceived upgrade on what we already do. That's marginal improvement at best and I don't know how that drastically improves us as a side. Getting a Upamecano (just using his skillset for example so don't @ me about money, etc) drastically improves the side because it relieves some pressure on the FBs to recover because DU can be left on an island with any striker. See? Atheleticism matters.

There are two MFers from Spain that even now in their advanced age would easily be top 10 PL MFers but I wouldn't want them because they are not athletic enough. You just can't plug a slow coach in and think they will still perform.

I won't say anything about Tanganga because I haven't seen enough. but as for sanchez, he has so little footballing ability/understanding his uncoordinated athleticism really cannot be put to use. I cannot fathom looking at that guy and thinking "I gotta have me some of that". And as RESPECT THE COCK RESPECT THE COCK can tell you I was on to this guy very, very early. And it's not gotten better since. He's just not much of a footballer.

IMO we were always going to be looking to replace Lloris and Toby next summer - and likely one or both of Moura and Lamela, whilst buying Bergwijn in January who should be a more experienced player and settled into Spurs by then so maybe only one to buy.

Fact is a footballers career is only about 10 years, with maybe 5 or 5 years at the top (Kane being an exception) which means we always will be looking to buy 2 or 3 players a year and hope one or more from our academy every year just to keep going and hopefully improving the squad

I agree my concern is that we will be looking to replace Bale, Doherty and PEH (likely Milik and Hart as well) sooner than later as well, so this transfer window is very much about the next two years.

Levy refusing to include Ndombele in a deal for Skriniar originally, then circling back around and getting them to lower the price in exchange for Sissoko would be something else.

I did not hear that.

That is very interesting if true, especially if the rumours about him potentially having a falling out with Zidane's son or Zidane are true.

He's now legally a Spurs player, so like any transfer Madrid need to persuade him he should transfer back to Madrid. Much more money, first choice RB contractually agreed (but would they guarantee that in writing).....

If he does and Madris offer him the sale fee plus £15m we cannot refuse.

Hence the emphasis on him being happy at Sours he wont return

I can only think of Aurier, Rose, Foyth, and I'm guessing you think Sissoko and Lamela, although I highly doubt Jose wants to sell either.
That's fine but we still couldn't give them away. So his point might still stand. but you could also add in Dele. And the situation gets tougher when you take into account the players we couldn't get rid of at levy's prices. The bigger point is that our squad has become a mess and these reinforcements are long overdue.

He's now legally a Spurs player, so like any transfer Madrid need to persuade him he should transfer back to Madrid. Much more money, first choice RB contractually agreed (but would they guarantee that in writing).....

If he does and Madris offer him the sale fee plus £15m we cannot refuse.

Hence the emphasis on him being happy at Sours he wont return
You're kidding yourself, if Real want him back they'll get him. Don't you think they spoke before he left? He doesn't necessarily have a right to refuse anyway, buy back clauses almost always contain a signed contract agreement. Barca and real do it with all their buy backs, to protect their assets. So they can buy back and resell if there is profit in it.

If Reguilon is clearly better than Mendy they'll got him back. If he isn't, they won't.

Bizarrely, if Sissoko (& enough other non-HG players) go, I can see Gedson staying as the "right-sided midfield runner" in Mourinho's "squad puzzle".
The Mendes connection is obviously complicated.
It may also be the case that if we terminate the loan early, we get hit with a financial penalty clause by Benfica. Which I'm sure Levy won't want to pay.

I dont see enough overseas trained pplayers and not being replaced for this to happen.

ATM, we have one overseas trained place free assuming Foyth and Gedson leave......and I'm hoping to see a striker and CB| in, which if both incoming are overseas trained means we need Sissoko (or other) to leave as well as Foyth and Gedson/

Who in his right mind will want to sign Sissoko?

He is a French international that gets a ton of support in the media and on social media so there are some out there that rate him.

I am not sure we will ever get what Levy wants or paid for him but I can't imagine someone wouldn't give us at least 20m and at that price we can easily bring in someone who can do a similar job on the pitch while potentially bringing youth and/or HG or even a player who is a proper DM to help with that role on the team.

Back
Top Bottom