Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In that highly unlikely event occurring again we can play Bale there - who has played that position many times for Wales.

But what happens if all 3 are injured?!? What then?!? Seriously move on from last January -you could apply what if scenarios to every position. We are in far more trouble if we lose Toby than anything given the standard of Dier and Sanchez.

We can go through a season with what we have - we have for 5 years because the likes of Jansen and Llorente were not good enough ( but they are out and out strikers so in your world they are better option than Bale and Son).

Just so I'm clear on this Liverpool are stronger in that department because they have and out and out striker where as we just have Bale Son. He is Liverpool’s only striker ( the same as us) - Firmino is a AM whilst the other 2 are wing forwards but they are not screaming about it.

People talk about Kane’s health and yet no doubt they will have in the side for every match day thread.

So we are going once again with Son and Kane playing multiple games a week? How has that worked out for us in the past, especially for Kane?

Or are we giving up on winning trophies in the EL and Domestic Cups.

Liverpool are in a better place because they have a striker, Firmino, in their first team as well as two wingers who score a ton more than any of our wingers. They also have a back-up striker that is so useless and unnecessary in your world that he score in the CL final. I'm not sure if that is valuable or not and maybe they do win without him scoring but I don't think it hurt them.

Also, there is zero reason we can't get a back-up striker and a new CB, why you insist on pretending like anyone who wants a back-up striker doesn't want to strengthen the CB position makes zero sense.

I mean it could be that every other team that has a back-up striker on their team is getting it wrong and we have figured out the true secret to success but based on our results and their results I think it is clear which group has it right.

That team sucks, but go look at a bottom 10 side and pick out a better team. You might find one or two.

From last years table I would say: Southampton, Everton, Crystal Palace, Brighton were all clearly better. I am not a fan of Newcastles team but their results would indicate they should probably be included as well.

That leaves West Ham, Villa, Bournemouth, Norwich and Watford and I am not sure the back-ups listed are better than any of those.

That's fair.

I think we've bought talented players. Not every signing will be a hit, but it's now on the manager and coaches to develop and implement the talent that has been brought in. Assuming these last two deals are finalized (just hypothetically), we will have plenty of depth and Jose should be able to find the balance he's been asking for. I think at that point it's on him.

A lot more safer bets than the Magnificent 7 of the past, which were pretty high risk in some areas.

Reguilon - 23
Hojbjerg - 25
Skriniar - 25
Milik 26
Doherty - 28
Bale - 31

Average age there is 26 years old. That is the age of players entering their prime. It's not nearly as bad as your post implies. And we have made some signings to the academy, and have a handful of promising young players we are loaning out and developing already. I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it's as big of a concern as you make it out to be.

(And I know I left out Hart, but considering the little amount of games we will see him I think it's fair to not include him).

The concern I have is yes Reguilon is 23 but could be back in RM in two years, Hjobjerg is young-ish but likely already needs to be replaced, Milik- yuck overall but not old, Doherty is likely got two years left at top level.

There is a good chance that with all these moves in two years time we are looking for a new LB, DM, RB, AM, Striker.

The only players that are likely to be starters (or at least guys we want starting) in two years time is Reguilon (maybe) and Skriniar.

Now obviously with Jose there is going to be a focus on the here and now and no care towards the future but for all the money we spent and players we brought in we still have a ton of holes- CB (even with Skriniar), CM, DM and a pretty concerning outlook for two years down the road when you look at the guys we brought in coupled with the current roster.

Seems obvious to me Sissoko will be off . Wasn't involved on Sunday or yesterday.

himself, Rose, Foyth, Gedson are all disposable.

DugI2U2.png

:mourthumb:

The concern I have is yes Reguilon is 23 but could be back in RM in two years, Hjobjerg is young-ish but likely already needs to be replaced, Milik- yuck overall but not old, Doherty is likely got two years left at top level.

There is a good chance that with all these moves in two years time we are looking for a new LB, DM, RB, AM, Striker.

The only players that are likely to be starters (or at least guys we want starting) in two years time is Reguilon (maybe) and Skriniar.

Now obviously with Jose there is going to be a focus on the here and now and no care towards the future but for all the money we spent and players we brought in we still have a ton of holes- CB (even with Skriniar), CM, DM and a pretty concerning outlook for two years down the road when you look at the guys we brought in coupled with the current roster.

It's a fair argument but we do have young players we like at LB (Cirkin, Sess), ST (Parrott), and DM (Skipp). None of them are ready yet, and there's no guarantee all or any pan out haha, but the club is very high on all of them. If they continue to develop well then we'll be fine at those positions.

Last year's incomings:

Lo Celso - 24
Ndombele - 23
Sessegnon - 20
Clarke - 19
Bergwijn - 22
Gedson - 21

Overall Squad today :

Squad Age – Dob

1987/88 (33) Lloris, Hart
1989 (31) Alderweireld, Bale, Sissoko
1990 (30) Rose
1992 (28) Gazzaniga, Doherty, Lamela, Son, Moura, Aurier
1993 (27) Davies, Kane
1994 (26) Dier
1995 (25) Hojbjerg,
1996 (24) Winks, Lo Celso, Dele, Sanchez, Reguilon, Ndombele
1997 (23) Bergwijn, Carter-Vickers
1998 (22) Foyth, Whiteman
1999 (21) Gedson, Tanganga, Austin
2000 (20) Sessegnon, Clarke, Skipp,

A pretty well balanced squad age wise - no longer the young one Poch inherited but not old either

We should be confident that we can complete a move for this guy. Why you ask? Because literally no other club in existence will want him. He is the least clinical stiker I have ever seen. I cannot believe we are even interested in this guy. But hey, at least we are confident.

Overall Squad today :

Squad Age – Dob

1987/88 (33) Lloris, Hart
1989 (31) Alderweireld, Bale, Sissoko
1990 (30) Rose
1992 (28) Gazzaniga, Doherty, Lamela, Son, Moura, Aurier
1993 (27) Davies, Kane
1994 (26) Dier
1995 (25) Hojbjerg,
1996 (24) Winks, Lo Celso, Dele, Sanchez, Reguilon, Ndombele
1997 (23) Bergwijn, Carter-Vickers
1998 (22) Foyth, Whiteman
1999 (21) Gedson, Tanganga, Austin
2000 (20) Sessegnon, Clarke, Skipp,

A pretty well balanced squad age wise - no longer the young one Poch inherited but not old either

I think if you treat everyone the same it is well balanced but if you look at the highlighted starters it is pretty top heavy. Maybe every squad is like this but it is easy to see in 2 years us potentially needing 7-8 new starters in the squad. A lot of the guys at the bottom of the list have a lot of questions about them.

Hopefully the young players develop to their full potential.

The positive thing is that if Lo Celso and Ndomble can perform to their potential and stay healthy that is a good, young midfield to start to build around and Kane and Son (hopefully) can still be world class or close to it.

Reguilon might be back at Real Madrid in 2 years time - but we get our money back plus £15m if he does go.

Madrid have what they think are 2 very good LB's who are young with Reguilon being their 3rd best.

But if in 2 years time Reguilon is enjoying himself, will he want to go back to Madrid to be a back up LB ? Probably unlikely - I'd guess 75% + chance he does not.

But if he does we will be in a lot better chance to buy another top LB, and by that time both Sessegnon and Cirkin may be contenders anyway.

I think its a good call to buy him now if JM thinks Reguilon is a good LB now

Back
Top Bottom