Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Mixed emotions on this board about every name that has come in/rumored this window. bus-conductor bus-conductor said it very well IMO a couple of pages back.

I am going to get shat on, but the only one I have wanted was Sergio. I do think the additions add depth/replace our mediocre players (PEH for Winks and Sissoko), but are short term investments to appease Jose and his push for a title. For me, Jose is more concerned about his legacy than building something long term.

I guess that is ok if we are back in the CL and going for some cups, but I like a long term vision based around younger talent. (e.g. Sangare)

I just read that Inter are looking at him as a possible Skriniar replacement.

As in they think they will use Kablak in the starting line-up and get better results than they got with Skriniar?

If so, good luck to them.

Mixed emotions on this board about every name that has come in/rumored this window. bus-conductor bus-conductor said it very well IMO a couple of pages back.

I am going to get shat on, but the only one I have wanted was Sergio. I do think the additions add depth/replace our mediocre players (PEH for Winks and Sissoko), but are short term investments to appease Jose and his push for a title. For me, Jose is more concerned about his legacy than building something long term.

I guess that is ok if we are back in the CL and going for some cups, but I like a long term vision based around younger talent. (e.g. Sangare)

We've been building something long term for a long term already and won piss all

I think Levy is definitely after top 4 (and maybe a trophy) and is backing Jose to achieve that.
I agree with you that it's a short term fix, but top 4 means more money to spend and the ability to attract better players.
All that being said, it should be a balance between the 2 (top 4/trophy now and build for the future).
As you say Jose is more concerned with his.....image would be the word I'd use. Legacy implies leaving something lasting after he's gone.

Look what happened when Son and Kane got injured last season. We completely fell of the wagon. That could happen again, and yes we have Lucas, Bergwin and Bale to come in, but Lucas cannot play as a striker, he's barely made an impact from his natural position in the last 12 months. Bergwijn, well the jury is still out, shown glimpses but needs to be more consistent. Bale, yes is world class, but we still lose 2 other world class players.

Origi is still a striker, it's his position. Chelsea have 3 strikers, Woolwich have 3, City have 2, hell even Wolves have 2! We can't go into another season with 1 proper striker, it's just not healthy for Kane or us.

As I said, I'm all aboard for getting a centre back in, but it should not affect our move for a striker which is equally as important. Look what happened last night without a natural striker, we had to rely on Kane to bail us out.

In that highly unlikely event occurring again we can play Bale there - who has played that position many times for Wales.

But what happens if all 3 are injured?!? What then?!? Seriously move on from last January -you could apply what if scenarios to every position. We are in far more trouble if we lose Toby than anything given the standard of Dier and Sanchez.

We can go through a season with what we have - we have for 5 years because the likes of Jansen and Llorente were not good enough ( but they are out and out strikers so in your world they are better option than Bale and Son).

Just so I'm clear on this Liverpool are stronger in that department because they have and out and out striker where as we just have Bale Son. He is Liverpool’s only striker ( the same as us) - Firmino is a AM whilst the other 2 are wing forwards but they are not screaming about it.

People talk about Kane’s health and yet no doubt they will have in the side for every match day thread.

Reguilon - 23
Hojbjerg - 25
Skriniar - 25
Milik 26
Doherty - 28
Bale - 31

Average age there is 26 years old. That is the age of players entering their prime. It's not nearly as bad as your post implies. And we have made some signings to the academy, and have a handful of promising young players we are loaning out and developing already. I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it's as big of a concern as you make it out to be.

(And I know I left out Hart, but considering the little amount of games we will see him I think it's fair to not include him).

The only real problem I have with Son or Bale up top is that I think both players do better from wider positions. Both can score goals, but I really feel like we need an outlet up top in the event Kane isn't playing. I thought our attack was pretty toothless pre-Kane coming on yesterday, and I don't think it's a coincidence since Son is very much a player who needs space to operate in and isn't the best player in terms of bringing other players into the game. He's got exceptional pace and a great finisher with both feet, but I just don't like him as a striker.

I don't think this is a break the bank sort of situation because a backup striker isn't going to play a ton when Kane is available and fit. If we could get someone on loan for the season, maybe Parrott will be ready for this kind of role when he comes back from Millwall next season.

I get why people are wary of buying ready-made players off the shelf but Harry Kane will leave if we don't win something this season. He is a once in a generation player and we have to try and win something now.

It's not like we aren't also buying younger talents, Gio, Bergwijn, Ndombele, Reguilon, they are all young. But nobody can look at the last 5 years and tell me that young talent is enough. You need a balance between youth and experience and we didn't have that before. Just look at what Bale did in his last CL final compared to what our scared little mice served up.

I think Levy is definitely after top 4 (and maybe a trophy) and is backing Jose to achieve that.
I agree with you that it's a short term fix, but top 4 means more money to spend and the ability to attract better players.
All that being said, it should be a balance between the 2 (top 4/trophy now and build for the future).
As you say Jose is more concerned with his.....image would be the word I'd use. Legacy implies leaving something lasting after he's gone.
I think the club are doing the right thing and investing in good talent now to try and take us back into top four or actually win something.
I'm surprised that everyone isn't on board with that, we have not got time to spend 5/6 years trying to put something special together.
With the resurgence of clubs like Everton who are keen to get back amongst the big boys again along with wolves and perhaps Leicester, we haven't got time to spend outside of those CL spots for too long.
If the club can get among CL and or success, then it can go back to recruiting young promising talent but certainly now is not the time.

Reguilon - 23
Hojbjerg - 25
Skriniar - 25
Milik 26
Doherty - 28
Bale - 31

Average age there is 26 years old. That is the age of players entering their prime. It's not nearly as bad as your post implies. And we have made some signings to the academy, and have a handful of promising young players we are loaning out and developing already. I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it's as big of a concern as you make it out to be.

(And I know I left out Hart, but considering the little amount of games we will see him I think it's fair to not include him).

Age isn't what I am necessarily on about, but I hear ya. I am just not in awe with any of the signings other than Sergio. I don't know enough about Skriniar to make a judgment.

I am in agreeance that the team has improved, we needed depth, but I am not overly excited by any of them like I was with GLC and Ndombele. We will be better that is for sure, but by how much? I am not so sure.

I think the club are doing the right thing and investing in good talent now to try and take us back into top four or actually win something.
I'm surprised that everyone isn't on board with that, we have not got time to spend 5/6 years trying to put something special together.
With the resurgence of clubs like Everton who are keen to get back amongst the big boys again along with wolves and perhaps Leicester, we haven't got time to spend outside of those CL spots for too long.
If the club can get among CL and or success, then it can go back to recruiting young promising talent but certainly now is not the time.
Agree 100% on that.
My only remarks were on Jose's signings, they are for the now. Not a bad thing and I'm delighted with most of them.
As others have said we have a core of good younger players signed in the last year or so. They will also be part of our future. Lo Celso, Ndombele etc.

Age isn't what I am necessarily on about, but I hear ya. I am just not in awe with any of the signings other than Sergio. I don't know enough about Skriniar to make a judgment.

I am in agreeance that the team has improved, we needed depth, but I am not overly excited by any of them like I was with GLC and Ndombele. We will be better that is for sure, but by how much? I am not so sure.

That's fair.

I think we've bought talented players. Not every signing will be a hit, but it's now on the manager and coaches to develop and implement the talent that has been brought in. Assuming these last two deals are finalized (just hypothetically), we will have plenty of depth and Jose should be able to find the balance he's been asking for. I think at that point it's on him.

Not even close.

That back line is easily in the bottom 10 in the league, the MF bottom 10 no doubt and they have zero strikers.

How does that team generate goals with zero creative players, zero ability to pass in the midfield and no strikers?

How does that team stop goals with a weak backline with zero even average defenders and Joe Hart who has been terrible for at least 5 seasons now?
That team sucks, but go look at a bottom 10 side and pick out a better team. You might find one or two.

I understand we may need to raise funds, and I'm not saying Lamela is indispensable, but I think he's decent off the bench, he's not a nice guy on the pitch, and he's good enough to provide depth in cup matches early on.

I wouldn't sell unless the price was too good to pass up, and I can't see that happening

Back
Top Bottom