Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yet 7-9 of them were starting most games last year for us and finished in the top 6. Believe me there are far worse teams in the PL than one that would consist of Aurier, Sanchez, Dier, Davies, Winks, Sissoko, Lucas, Dele & Bergwijn. None of those make my starting XI right now and all our internationals. A team with those 9 names in it won’t be getting relegated mate

Last year they had Lloris to help bail out their defensive mistakes, Son and Kane to make up for their lacking of creativity and Lo Celso to come in and handle the majority of their passing.

Ignoring the 5 world class players that we had that actually did the work to get us 6th place is ridiculous.

Again, feel free to explain how that team that likely is set up something like:

Sissoko-Winks-Lamela
Moura-Alli-Bergwijn
Is going to score goals? That is a brutal midfield/forward group with zero natural goalscorers, zero passing ability and not a single creative player.

I guess they could repeatedly kick long balls and hope that Moura and Bergwijn can get on the end of them but not sure that is a recipe for top 10.

Think you are underestimating the impact of Son and Kane in the team. No that I think everyone of them are shite, there's some good names, but it's a totally unbalanced squad with one of the worst midfields in the league and also no striker.

It’s a 2nd string and I think Backup attacking options of Lucas, Bergwijn, Dele, Lamela, Sessegnon, Milik etc would be absolutely fine should a little creativity exists behind them. Add a crafter behind them and I don’t see quality of that level getting relegated mate.

This is bit like saying "I need a car fore the motorway but I bought a tractor because I got 50% off, great deal eh"?

Are you not a smidgeon concerned why the deal might seem so good? Why don't Inter, a team managed by a pretty pragmatic manager, in a pretty pragmatic style in a pretty pragmatic league, slower than than PL, is so desperate to get shot of this guy?

I am not professing to be an expert on Skriniar, I've watched him a couple of times but wasn't paying great attention to him, I am to some extent relying on the opinion of others.

This smacks to me a bit like some of our other recruitment - Hojberg, Doherty for example - where there might be some tiny incremental gain on what is pretty at present pretty bad, but nowhere near the quantitive upgrade we need to really evolve again.

We have a couple of defenders a bit like Skriniar now, why not "overspend" 35m on something different, with qualities we lack, even if it has slightly different flaws (hopefully ones we can develop out) than underspend on what we have already.

Same money, different outcome.....
I would prefer a centre half with pace and the ability to march out of defence with the ball and make forward accurate passes that break the lines

This guy however is the type of defender that suits Jose's tactics and style of football and also can be purchased within our budget restraints. I guess there is nothing else that an be done until both Jose leaves and the club is able to spend more money.

Anyone know the terms of the loan deal ?
Is it actually possible to send him back ?

I don't know terms but the loan fee has been paid/is payable regardless

If we say 'terribly sorry but if Gedson stays he is not good enough to play in our much improved squad - would you like to take him back'

Worst case I imagine is we need to pay Gedson wages for a year (less than £1m ?).

But if Mendes takes him to another club, maybe nothing more to pay.

Wout there it is or Milik? I prefer the former as he seems to play big minutes and doesn't have an injury history regarding his knees, you know those needed joints to plant, turn, jump, and fucking run.

Last year they had Lloris to help bail out their defensive mistakes, Son and Kane to make up for their lacking of creativity and Lo Celso to come in and handle the majority of their passing.

Ignoring the 5 world class players that we had that actually did the work to get us 6th place is ridiculous.

Again, feel free to explain how that team that likely is set up something like:

Sissoko-Winks-Lamela
Moura-Alli-Bergwijn
Is going to score goals? That is a brutal midfield/forward group with zero natural goalscorers, zero passing ability and not a single creative player.

I guess they could repeatedly kick long balls and hope that Moura and Bergwijn can get on the end of them but not sure that is a recipe for top 10.

You’re missing my point. Firstly it’s a second string, I’m looking at individual talent as we are highly unlikely to ever need to be relying on just the 2nd string for a game let alone a large period of time. Without a creative player I’ve already said they would struggle to create but with one can you honestly say the individual quality of Aurier, Sanchez, Dier, Davies, Winks, Sissoko, Dele, Lucas & Bergwijn aren’t of a sufficient standard to be seen as PL level quality?

The XI might lack balance but quality wise each are more than capable of being top 10 PL footballers, which is the point I’m making. If you disagree with their capabilities to each be seen a self PL standard then fine, I’m not basing my view on tactical prowess or chemistry as that 2nd string will never need balance like the first team will, it’s more based on levels to which each are able to perform at.

Last edited:
Wouldn't you rather go and spend £19m on the next Söyüncü, for example, as opposed to maybe twice that amount on a CB that is highly compromised in terms of his athletic ability?

I don't know who or where he I but yeah why not. Are you talking about Kabak at Schalke?

I don't know who or where he I but yeah why not. Are you talking about Kabak at Schalke?
No. I have only seen him once, and I thought he had a bad game. Although two mates of mine rate him highly (and I trust their judgement).

I wasn't talking about anyone in particular, although there are some CBs that have already been sold or are for sale that are of interest to me. But my minimum requirement is that the CB has good mobility.

Back
Top Bottom