Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I honestly don’t understand this. What if we had signed him for £40m and he’d had a fantastic season? Maybe 10 goals and 15 assists? £40m would be a pittance then.

Cost is no guarantee of quality and it’s no guarantee of lack of quality either.
Well since he hasn't done anything like that level of performance at a lower level, it's probably great work we didn't.

Am I missing something? Has Jack Grealish promised free handjobs to this board if we sign him or something?

Well since he hasn't done anything like that level of performance at a lower level, it's probably great work we didn't.

Am I missing something? Has Jack Grealish promised free handjobs to this board if we sign him or something?

He's pretty much dragged Villa to a play off spot mate. Without him, they're absolutely nothing as a team as proven when he missed months through injury.

It's probably a reason he's priced so high. Because to them he's pretty much priceless and without them they're pretty much useless.

Considering we NEED homegrown players - until someone can tell me a better player we can get than Grealish who has played over 100s of games of mens football, is home grown, can play in an 8 in a midfield 3 or in a 10 behind a striker for the prices listed, fair enough.

I have no clue if he’d be any good or not. Neither do you. He could well be worth £50m to us depending how he performs.

So yes you are missing something. The power to see into the future. If we do sign him for £40m and he turns out to be crap, I’d expect heads to roll at that point. At least give him a chance to fuck up before assuming he will.

I have no clue if he’d be any good or not. Neither do you. He could well be worth £50m to us depending how he performs.

So yes you are missing something. The power to see into the future. If we do sign him for £40m and he turns out to be crap, I’d expect heads to roll at that point. At least give him a chance to fuck up before assuming he will.
Fucksake, so why not just give some of our youth players a chance, because they might be brilliant. What fucking logic

Looking at Fulham, there’s a few players I’d take from them when they inevitably go down. Some not first choice, but others I’d snap up.

Mitrovic - definitely take him. He’d be a superb back up to Kane, and could play alongside him.

Seasengon - Big talent. Someone Poch could make a star.

Seri - not first choice, would prefer Doucoure or Soler, but he’s definitely a decent player.

Fucksake, so why not just give some of our youth players a chance, because they might be brilliant. What fucking logic
Fucksake, why sign anyone? They might be shite.

Look, I’m not against signing players for as little money as we can, but if the club feel that Grealish is a player who can make a difference to us, what does it matter to me if it’s £25m or £40m? However much we pay for a player, I’ll give him a chance to pass or fail before considering if he was value or not.

Would like to see Spurs go for Raul Jiminez next season as back up for Kane.

Having an impressive season and unlikely any of the other top teams would go in for him.

I honestly don’t understand this. What if we had signed him for £40m and he’d had a fantastic season? Maybe 10 goals and 15 assists? £40m would be a pittance then.

Cost is no guarantee of quality and it’s no guarantee of lack of quality either.

What if he'd have signed for £40m and not had a fantastic season? It works both ways when weighing up risk with a £40m signing. Also if other teams saw us spend £40m on Grealish do you not think they'd use that as a benchmark based on talent we would try and sign in the future. If a team has a player deemed similar or better in quality to Jack, £40m all of a sudden becomes the starting point in negotiations.

£40m for Grealish is nearly double what Leicester paid for Maddison that summer, it was an extortionate, ridiculous price that was 25% more than any player ever sold by a Championship club, all for a player withna bit of potential. We were right not to spend £40m on him but not right in dragging the deal out so it got to that stage. He should have been ours for £25m a month or two earlier.

What if he'd have signed for £40m and not had a fantastic season? It works both ways when weighing up risk with a £40m signing. Also if other teams saw us spend £40m on Grealish do you not think they'd use that as a benchmark based on talent we would try and sign in the future. If a team has a player deemed similar or better in quality to Jack, £40m all of a sudden becomes the starting point in negotiations.

£40m for Grealish is nearly double what Leicester paid for Maddison that summer, it was an extortionate, ridiculous price that was 25% more than any player ever sold by a Championship club, all for a player withna bit of potential. We were right not to spend £40m on him but not right in dragging the deal out so it got to that stage. He should have been ours for £25m a month or two earlier.
I know it works both ways. That’s why I posted that money us no guarantee if quaility or vice versa.

And how do you think negotiations work, outside of a laptop? Just because we pay £40m for someone, that’s got fuck all to do with any other transfer. “Well, they paid £40m for Grealish and he’s got 85 for pace, so let’s ask more for Zara as he’s a 90.” We signed the hopeless Soldado for £26m and then signed Eriksen a month later for less than half that. One transfer had no effect on the other.

You contend we shouldn’t have paid £40m for Grealish, but we should have paid £25m? How many extra points would the cheaper one have got us this season? Would spending less on him have meant we’d still be in the title race?

I know it works both ways. That’s why I posted that money us no guarantee if quaility or vice versa.

And how do you think negotiations work, outside of a laptop? Just because we pay £40m for someone, that’s got fuck all to do with any other transfer. “Well, they paid £40m for Grealish and he’s got 85 for pace, so let’s ask more for Zara as he’s a 90.” We signed the hopeless Soldado for £26m and then signed Eriksen a month later for less than half that. One transfer had no effect on the other.

You contend we shouldn’t have paid £40m for Grealish, but we should have paid £25m? How many extra points would the cheaper one have got us this season? Would spending less on him have meant we’d still be in the title race?

What are you talking about? It's basic human instincts to compare and other teams/ chairmen would have seen we were happy to overpay and would have taken us for a ride withnfuture deals for sure.

Do you think Premier League teams pay more for their players than Spanish, German or French teams? Do you think that is down to the talent being far superior or because other teams know the money that's in the league and take advantage of that in negotiations? If a Premier team comes in for a player in the Dutch League the Dutch team knows their is more money there than a team playing in Ligue 1 and will pushnthat as far as they can because they know there is more money available to the buyer.

You mention about us signing Soldado for £26m only to sign Eriksen a month later for cheaper. Soldado was a full on Spanish international who we didn't know was goo to flop back then & had scored a goal every other game for 5 years prior to us signing him aa a 27 year old. Eriksen was a 21 year old who I believe didn't have very long left on his contract at Ajax. Soldado had a far better reputation than Eriksen at the time so using that as a comparison is far fetched IMO.

When Alexis Sanchez signed that ridiculous deal at Man U, what was the first thing Pogba was rumoured to do? He compared and wanted more that was equal in pay to Alexis. Teams would have seen us panic, spend £40m on a player not worth that and 100% seen that as a weakness and exploited it in the future by ramping the price up knowing they had the power over us with us seemingly blinking first over a player Ike Jack Grealish, much like players did with Leeds United back in the O'Leary years or Chelsea these days.

If you don't think other chairman and agents don't look at other deals the club does as a benchmark to gauge what they can negotiate for their player or their agenda you're mistaken. £40m is not market rate for Jack Grealish, we were right not to skew our business dealings for the future with a bloated, unreasonable investment for a player who scored 3 goals and got 5 assists in England's second tier last season. £25m was a good deal for all parties and a very fair price to Aston Villa IMO.

Personally I wanted Grealish, I really like the kid but £40m was too much, it wasn't worth the risk of him not having it in him to keep up with the pace of the Premier League. His 3 goals and 5 assists in the Championship last season suggests that £40m was a ridiculous price. £25m was more than enough and Villa didn't want to deal so we were right to move on.

Ward Prowse and Grealish would both be good purchased for us if we could get them for under 55 combined IF Eriksen leaves.

The problem with it though would be that we'd be relying on Dier as the sole player for the pure anchor man / destroyer / insert your own version here or rely on winks to do as he has this season and play at the base of a 3 in whatever shape.

Now a 3 of Grealish , winks and prowse is a midfield o can get on board with for games against those that are likely to Park the bus as winks is good enough defensively against teams that sit back.

But we'd need to believe Dier can regain top form because I think wanyama is done at this level for physical reasons but I hope I'm wrong.

So much more to consider this season for me due to not knowing 100% what's happening with Eriksen and tbf Toby but I've come to peace with the idea he's off and Foyth is his replacement.

All this and , I fucking hate saying this, but the uncertainty of top 4 as well as the stadium opening / naming rights etc being a form of income then I don't think I've ever felt less confident on having a clue with what the club will be doing transfer wise.

It can't surely be this bad but would we , say, let Eriksen and Toby go and stick with foyth and say that Skipp is ready to step up ?

Apart from Joachim Anderson, who makes sense to be the successor to vertonghen who may move on the summer after , I've not seen anyone repeatedly linked through sources just a few of us on here mentioning players like Berge etc.

Do we have any tangible plans to be active in the market other than to sell those that won't renew.

Feel at a loss. Got to watch the Liverpool match with a friend in Liverpool and that's not helping any of my frustration.

Last edited:

Bentaleb? Disciplinary problems?

Haven't heard that before.

Not having a go genuinely asking as you write te with knowledge about some foreign leagues. Do you know the manager / higher staffs typical behaviour?

Long way of asking could this not be seen as them viewing his interview time where he had a huge chance to give Schalke some exposure to talk about a perceivable "come get me" as a disciplinary measure ?

I could see that being the case. If so it wouldn't put me off him wanting him back if he was happy to accept a rotation place back in the squad. Fills two quotas for us HG and club trained HG for those that didn't know

Last edited:
What are you talking about? It's basic human instincts to compare and other teams/ chairmen would have seen we were happy to overpay and would have taken us for a ride withnfuture deals for sure.

Do you think Premier League teams pay more for their players than Spanish, German or French teams? Do you think that is down to the talent being far superior or because other teams know the money that's in the league and take advantage of that in negotiations? If a Premier team comes in for a player in the Dutch League the Dutch team knows their is more money there than a team playing in Ligue 1 and will pushnthat as far as they can because they know there is more money available to the buyer.

You mention about us signing Soldado for £26m only to sign Eriksen a month later for cheaper. Soldado was a full on Spanish international who we didn't know was goo to flop back then & had scored a goal every other game for 5 years prior to us signing him aa a 27 year old. Eriksen was a 21 year old who I believe didn't have very long left on his contract at Ajax. Soldado had a far better reputation than Eriksen at the time so using that as a comparison is far fetched IMO.

When Alexis Sanchez signed that ridiculous deal at Man U, what was the first thing Pogba was rumoured to do? He compared and wanted more that was equal in pay to Alexis. Teams would have seen us panic, spend £40m on a player not worth that and 100% seen that as a weakness and exploited it in the future by ramping the price up knowing they had the power over us with us seemingly blinking first over a player Ike Jack Grealish, much like players did with Leeds United back in the O'Leary years or Chelsea these days.

If you don't think other chairman and agents don't look at other deals the club does as a benchmark to gauge what they can negotiate for their player or their agenda you're mistaken. £40m is not market rate for Jack Grealish, we were right not to skew our business dealings for the future with a bloated, unreasonable investment for a player who scored 3 goals and got 5 assists in England's second tier last season. £25m was a good deal for all parties and a very fair price to Aston Villa IMO.

Personally I wanted Grealish, I really like the kid but £40m was too much, it wasn't worth the risk of him not having it in him to keep up with the pace of the Premier League. His 3 goals and 5 assists in the Championship last season suggests that £40m was a ridiculous price. £25m was more than enough and Villa didn't want to deal so we were right to move on.
No idea how you’ve the time to write all that. I’ve certainly not got the time to read it.

Let’s say I agree with you and leave it there.

Back
Top Bottom