Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Na it was the right time to move him on. Give Parrott a chance in and around the first team and let's see how the kid does.

The money in wages saved on Llorente for another two years as per the Napoli deal will be better used elsewhere. Good luck big man, it was fun.
You are comparing the experience of Parrott with Llorente in big games.

You are comparing the experience of Parrott with Llorente in big games.

No I'm comparing Llorente's ability and his cost in wages to that of a sprightly young kid who would have had less chances in and around our first team squad should we have offered Llorente the same two year deal he's getting at Napoli.

Everyone could see that his legs were gone and personally I'd rather see the club work on ways around the plan A issues we face other than just sticking a big guy up front for knock downs and crosses. Get them working on more creative ways.

Parrott has a great chance to make this slot his, another HG striker would be massive for us moving forward and whilst I appreciate what Nando did for us, I'm ultimately glad we didn't extend his deal.

Everyone could see that his legs were gone and personally I'd rather see the club work on ways around the plan A issues we face other than just sticking a big guy up front for knock downs and crosses. Get them working on more creative ways.
Isn't this letting the perfect be the enemy of the good enough? The same issues with 'Plan A' are not going to be fixed this season so alternatives need to be considered. A 'Plan B' is a good thing to have.

Isn't this letting the perfect be the enemy of the good enough? The same issues with 'Plan A' are not going to be fixed this season so alternatives need to be considered. A 'Plan B' is a good thing to have.

For me it's a short term solution that leads to more long term problems. If we don't work on areas of the game like synchronicity, off the ball movement, one touch football etc then our core of players will become a year older, longer in the tooth and won't develop properly.

Fernando did a good job but it's time to move on from the big guy stuck in the box style, it's too easy an out for our players to rely on and personally I think a few have become too lazy in their thoughts which would continue if we just had a big bloke we could bring on off the bench.

Sometimes you've got to take one step back to take two forward and Llorente was a quick fix when we need to evolve on the field a little more cutely.

For me it's a short term solution that leads to more long term problems.
The reason short term solutions exist is because there are situations that necessitate them.

If we don't work on areas of the game like synchronicity, off the ball movement, one touch football etc then our core of players will become a year older, longer in the tooth and won't develop properly.
This all sounds well and good but presumably these are things we have been working on for the last 5 years. Develop properly? Our players are form now there is no more developing. Dele is not going to turn into a MF passmaster from in-season training ground work.

Fernando did a good job but it's time to move on from the big guy stuck in the box style, it's too easy an out for our players to rely on and personally I think a few have become too lazy in their thoughts which would continue if we just had a big bloke we could bring on off the bench.
It feels like you are attributing our stultifying play to Llorente's inclusion. Which would be strange seeing as he played so few league minutes and we were shit when he wasn't in the team. What about the 80 minutes of shit before he came on?

Sometimes you've got to take one step back to take two forward and Llorente was a quick fix when we need to evolve on the field a little more cutely.
This all seems a bit platitudinous. Yes, we do need to gain a wider perspective on the squad but how far are you willing to pan out? Are you will to admit that some, many even, of our players are fundamentally flawed and there is a severe dearth of technical ability throughout.

Some of us have been there for some time. Some of us welcomed this 'painful summer' that never arrived because we realize that we have issues that will not be fixed by a few extra hours on the training ground.

O Jogo reporting that someone has fallen into the Bruno Fernandes (for 70M + a loan back FFS) trap orchestrated by Jorge Mendes. Who could it be out of Wolves, Atleti, RM, Valencia, Monaco, Milan, or ManU?

We need TFC's Portuguese correspondent to clear this up. Nabil Bentaleb Nabil Bentaleb

O Jogo reporting that someone has fallen into the Bruno Fernandes (for 70M + a loan back FFS) trap orchestrated by Jorge Mendes. Who could it be out of Wolves, Atleti, RM, Valencia, Monaco, Milan, or ManU?

We need TFC's Portuguese correspondent to clear this up. Nabil Bentaleb Nabil Bentaleb

Mendes is a shareholder in Wolves so if it is advantageous odds are on Wolves to get Fernandes

But doubt it ?

Like Chancel Mbemba who was sold as a 20 year-old or whatever and later said he thinks he's 27 or something haha.

Vic 100% is not 28 though, I mean, full nt debut at 15? And there are like 20 guys from his academy in the same age range who were caught having faked their ages.

Still a good player but I seriously doubt Southampton and Spurs were unaware of this when buying him

Can't they carbon date him?

Mendes is a shareholder in Wolves so if it is advantageous odds are on Wolves to get Fernandes

But doubt it ?
Yeah, but his really shady deals he doesn't bring that close to home. This player is going for 20M more than quoted prices in the summer and with a loanback. How does this happen? NB usually has a story as to how this Mendes merry-go-round works but I don't see RM making their money back from this player. And he is most certainly not better than James or Bale. I know money doesn't launder itself but this seems daft.

Yeah, but his really shady deals he doesn't bring that close to home. This player is going for 20M more than quoted prices in the summer and with a loanback. How does this happen? NB usually has a story as to how this Mendes merry-go-round works but I don't see RM making their money back from this player. And he is most certainly not better than James or Bale. I know money doesn't launder itself but this seems daft.

Maybe Madrid doesn't make any money on this deal but Mendes does.

Not the way it's supposed to work but Mendes is a football agent !

Most insisted the problem with Plan A was a shit midfield last season.... Shouldn't Ndombele & GLC be expected to remedy to that?

The more options the better obv, but as plan B goes pumping balls up to a big man can still happen with Kane. Alternatively doesn't a false 9 system that looks to exploit the pace in our ranks also rank as a plan B?

Wouldn’t be surprised if we’re back in for him in January.
Can only see that happening in January if Eriksen is sold by the end of this European window. If he (Eriksen) is not sold or sign a new contract with us then he will be open to negotiate with European sides in Jan, meaning we will have him until the end of the season. I believe this means we are more than covered in the attacking midfield options and we would be better suited to strengthen elsewhere in the short term. We could certainly make a move in the summer once CE is gone for sure depending Fernandes' form this season.

All speculation on my part of course. I think we would be better suited looking for a backup striker or new RB this coming January.

Back
Top Bottom