Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I've been thinking about the posts on here regarding potential incoming players and the worry of 'how will we fit them all in. What happens if Eriksen doesn't leave and we still sign Lo Celso ?' etc etc.

In the old days (during the war I hear the youngsters cry) you had a first eleven and a second eleven football team. As a player you strove to rise from the latter to the former. That worked fine but not in todays modern high tech game.

A succesful club now has to have a first '16' at least. A group of players all superbly talented who could at any time be selected for the first team and give a consistently high level of performance. They need to know that each of them has an integral part to play and non selection does not necessarily mean they have fallen out of favour. Poch selects his first eleven in relation to the opposition faced and the tactics he wishes to adopt. Should that not work out during the match he then has players on the bench capable of changing the whole dynamics of the game and the manner in which we approach it.

No more the days of watching a team play poorly and then seeing 70th minute substitutions which do little to alter the gameplay or inspire the fans who have gone ghostly quiet with nothing to shout about for at least 30 minutes prior. Substitutes now should be cheered on with eager anticipation because supporters know their team is trying something new and they're not just making up the numbers and waiting for the final whistle.

Clubs now have to try to think of it as a first team of say 16 (maybe slightly more) but only 11 at a time can be on the pitch. Everyone has a vital part to play in the overall performance and success of the side and needs to be 'up for it' when told they are playing. Imagine us against someone like City and 1-0 down. Eriksen is having one of his 'off' days as a creative midfielder and little is happening. After a poor first half Poch changes it round and puts Lo Celso on. Now we suddenly have different options midfield and spirits lift. I guess I would just like to have the assurance that sitting on the bench we have the quality of players who can pick a game up off the floor and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat...but then you have the age old problem of top talent feeling wasted and unwanted. It's a tough nut to crack and a manager's nightmare...trying to keep everyone happy. Anybody have the solution ??
Hookers?

I mean I agree. I would honestly rather see Sissoko in a 3 man mid with Ndombele and Lo Celso than Winks. He has just been the better player. The last year.
Winks is a decent player but that's about it really. He excels at virtually nothing and that is simply not good enough for a Top 4 CM - Sissoko owns him on every level based on last year's form.

Last edited:
Bit of info on the Sessegnon deal, we have been reluctant to release any of our young talent that Fulham want. Fulham are insistent on purchases not loans ... it seems we have come to a tentative agreement on two players with us having first option buy-backs and/or percentage of profits from a sell-on. Usual names being mentioned no idea who is or isn't being considered. As we know the deal with Ryan and his agent was agreed weeks ago.
Not over the line, other clubs are interested and can also offer Fulham players, which is what they want, however I'm told a 'breakthrough' on this deal happened over the weekend ... so maybe it's very close.

All a bit cryptic, not ITK just office gossip ... hope it's true.
Please stop pretending you have any inside info from the Club - it's rather embarrassing and cringe-worthy for someone well into his 60s looking for online validation, especially considering you have guessed a grand total of 0 (ZERO!) deals right so far.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom