Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If I had to guess, I'd say two more:

One at 3pm, one at 5pm. There's always a chance at another if they want to go for the 7pm Americans-bored-at-work-checking-social-media special.

Nice to see Winks getting a pay bump. Touch wood, this means we're not concerned about his injury being a Wilshire-type deal.

I wonder who will be the 3pm announcement... someone 'bigger' than Winks....

This.

...Me likey too.

The chl is the biggest trophy in club football, you can only beat what's put in front of you. Deluded

Not interested in getting dragged into the ongoing duel between you both, but genuine question...

My hunger for the EPL title far outweighs my thirst for CL...

...Am i deluded?

...Am i not down with the kids on this one?

...Am i not alone?

Curious.

So, by being brave and taking risks, Poch was alluding to buying more cheap young prospects like Dele in the hope they'll come good. Rather than being more competitive on wages and more adventurous in the market.
So Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 and sammyspurs sammyspurs have it nailed, while me, thousands of Spurs fans across social media, the written press, Sky tv, journalists and the rest of the football world have misread him and got it all wrong.
Good. We have nothing to worry about then. Poch is happy, Poch is king.
You've nailed mate. Couldn't have put it better myself.

I mean seeing as Poch is off to Chelsea or Real Madrid having handed out an ultimatum to the Board, it's odd that we are renegotiating new contracts with our players, all this done behind his back, without his say so (would have to be as he hasn't held his crisis talks yet LOL).

Odd that we are drip feeding them out, one by one, in sequential days, a bit like it was planned. I expect this to continue too, I bet we will soon announce Poch will have a new deal, I bet we break our transfer record, I bet we get a new player in early as opposed to waiting until transfer deadline day (which would also constitute a "risk" in my book).

But no, do carry on, being manipulated like a puppet on a string, after all this is your ilk that this is aimed at, this staging and PR dance the Club is setting up, getting the feeling that the board are backing their man a PR exercise attempt to make those feel that the board don't back Poch, to show them that they do. The aim by the end of the summer is to get you to go wow, yeah Poch was backed by the board, Poch is still here, he's happy and got want he wanted. Poch can say, I got what I wanted, we took the risks I wanted (*insert what your definition of risk is here*).

Mark this and my other posts (since Poch's post match press conference) on the subject and call me a twat at the end of the window when I've got it all wrong.

Not interested in getting dragged into the ongoing duel between you both, but genuine question...

My hunger for the EPL title far outweighs my thirst for CL...

...Am i deluded?

...Am i not down with the kids on this one?

...Am i not alone?

Curious.
I think I lean towards you on this one.

The Champions League is amazing and we'd be able to laud it over Woolwich, as well as getting Worldwide recognition... but the Premier League is pure consistency over a year.

Win the league, then build on that success to win the CL. That's how I see it. Winning the CL in 2005 didn't make for a dynasty at Liverpool, nor would them getting lucky against Real Madrid next Saturday convince me that they're better than Man City have been this season.

You've nailed mate. Couldn't have put it better myself.

I mean seeing as Poch is off to Chelsea or Real Madrid having handed out an ultimatum to the Board, it's odd that we are renegotiating new contracts with our players, all this done behind his back, without his say so (would have to be as he hasn't held his crisis talks yet LOL).

Odd that we are drip feeding them out, one by one, in sequential days, a bit like it was planned. I expect this to continue too, I bet we will soon announce Poch will have a new deal, I bet we break our transfer record, I bet we get a new player in early as opposed to waiting until transfer deadline day (which would also constitute a "risk" in my book).

But no, do carry on, being manipulated like a puppet on a string, after all this is your ilk that this is aimed at, this staging and PR dance the Club is setting up, getting the feeling that the board are backing their man a PR exercise attempt to make those feel that the board don't back Poch, to show them that they do. The aim by the end of the summer is to get you to go wow, yeah Poch was backed by the board, Poch is still here, he's happy and got want he wanted. Poch can say, I got what I wanted, we took the risks I wanted (*insert what your definition of risk is here*).

Mark this and my other posts (since Poch's post match press conference) on the subject and call me a twat at the end of the window when I've got it all wrong.
So. In his Post match interview on Sunday you don't think he was pleading for more backing and investment in the team. Check.
In his interview in January, he didn't mention his frustation with the way we conducted our summer business last year, we all just dreamt it up. Check.
And because Harry Winks extended his contract, eveythings fine and Pochs never been happier with life. Check.

You're making a fool of yourself.

I have no idea why we purchased him at all. Looked useful played behind Kane at the Bernabau - then nothing. Clearly not suited to our style on his own upfront, and barely played when Kane was injured.
Didn’t you see how he played for Swansea?
We obviously saw him as a different option, that hasn’t worked out.

Didn’t you see how he played for Swansea?
We obviously saw him as a different option, that hasn’t worked out.

Sure, but his most promising position tucked in behind Kane wasn't really exploited after Madrid away. Plus we didn't play to his strengths (i.e. aerial balls into the box) when he got his cameo roles. Everyone knows he's a talented player, but we'd have been better off with a like-for-like Kane backup imo.

Seems like they are working their way up the pay ladder. KWP, Davinson, Winks. But that might just be me seeing things.

The one little detail that irks me is that Harry got the one of our own hashtag but Cameron, who is also one of our own did not. Does that require PL minutes or something?

Just to change his name to Harry #oneofourown# :kaneear: :bow::bow::bow:

I think it's probably done off the back of the fans. Winksy gets that chant in matches, but like you said CCV hasn't appeared enough to receive the same treatment. Also helps that Winks is a confirmed childhood Spurs fan (is CCV? I'm genuinely uncertain).

Oh, and bear in mind that 'Harry Winks' reads as three syllables when chanting - so fits the 'Harry Kane - he's one of our own' chant very nicely.

In terms of order of announcements... I'm not too certain why KWP was on his own earlier in the week but we're getting a flurry of announcements today. Could be that they like unveiling things before the weekend for extra attention. For PR purposes, I have no doubt that they're going in ascending order of profile-size today.

Exactly this! Would love to see a full new stadium try it tho...

#He's one of our own, he's one of our ow-wn...CameronCarterVickers...he's one of our own!! #

Could just go 'CCV' though as that's three syllables if indeed he even is 'one of our own'. I won't stand for us fans being labelled as liars!! :)

Back
Top Bottom