Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This bit about Sessegnon somehow reminds me when Redknapp plays Bale back at LB a couple games so new signing Pienaar could play.

Its a very bold statement to say Sessenon wont ever play a single game as LB for us.

Anyhow, i too once thought of Lemina highly. Mostly because he came from Juventus and really good in FM few years ago. But in his time at Southampton. Nothing remotely convince me he would do well for us. Anybody try to enlighten me?
Totally. Every time I've watched him for Southampton (not so many admittedly) he's been terrible ..., like really terrible

He's played at LB 19 times this season fyi.

Bale also started at LB for Spurs fyi.

He's not usurping Mane from LWF at Liverpool anytime soon fyi.
And not a single appearance there since mid January.

Bale started at LB, yep. Has he played there since? You think Madrid signed him because he’d make a bang up LB?

Mane is the Liverpool attacker du jour. Just like Coutinho, Sterling, Suarez, Torres, Owen. They’re a feeder club, if I’m eyeing up dislodging Mane or Son I’m going to assume Mane will be easier because he’ll be sold in under 2 years. Sonny may well retire at Spurs.

And not a single appearance there since mid January.

Bale started at LB, yep. Has he played there since? You think Madrid signed him because he’d make a bang up LB?

Mane is the Liverpool attacker du jour. Just like Coutinho, Sterling, Suarez, Torres, Owen. They’re a feeder club, if I’m eyeing up dislodging Mane or Son I’m going to assume Mane will be easier because he’ll be sold in under 2 years. Sonny may well retire at Spurs.
Has he played there since when? Since he played at left back? No. He did get moved back there under Harry for a bit though
Who famously said he sees his future at LB.

He definitely played there long past 17.

Again, a 17 year old that goes into negotiations with a top 6 club looking for 1st team assurances is going to get laughed out the building. He's a 17 year old Championship player, not Messi

If we move Llorente on in the summer, would getting Ciro Immobile in as a replacement be viewed as a positive move forward?
He would be a gamble if we got him/could get him. He's always been top quality when playing in the Serie A but hie adventures at Dortmund and Sevilla have not been that great.

As for alternative strikers I'd either look to bring someone in from one of the PL teams below us or look towards the Bundesliga . Someone like Füllkrug or Mark Uth who have a few seasons in them but are still young

Would be happy enough with Bertrand coming in as cover for Davies if Rose goes.

If we do really need a massive striker bloke to sit on the bench most of the season to replace Llorente, I’d love us to try to get Mandzukic from Juventus.

Could see us getting Andre Gomes tbh, not been great at Valencia but has the raw skills to become a beast under Poch, or even Lemina if Southampton go down, a player with good ball retention that drives forward and played under Bielsa

It would be good if we had a few more goals from the centre of the pitch I'm sure that's why we've been linked to Cristante too

Well, if Southampton goes down, there are a couple of interesting players on the market, especially Bertrand, Ward-Prowse, Austin and maybe also Tadic (but rather not for us, as we have enough players, that can play on the right wing and he is a little bit slow).

Last edited:
Well, if Southampton goes down, there are a couple of interesting players on the market, especially Bertrand, Ward-Prowse, Austin and maybe also Tadic (but rather not for us, as we have enough players, that can play on the right wing and he is a little bit slow).
Wrong thread, mate.
large_5tIW9nTuxxy8iXSvsKJqFDVZpyg.jpg

We need 2 or 3 players in summer if we assume Alderweireld is out of here. No surprise.

As Pochettino said we are close but not quite there. No surprise.

If we have not identified who we need or fail to get said targets until the middle of August then it will be shocking. No surprise.

We need 2 or 3 players in summer if we assume Alderweireld is out of here. No surprise.

As Pochettino said we are close but not quite there. No surprise.

If we have not identified who we need or fail to get said targets until the middle of August then it will be shocking. No surprise.
Already begun slating the club for their summer transfer policy in April, I see.

:goonermong:

The Top 3 next season as things stands will be City, United and Liverpool. We need to decide if we want to get up to their level or be fighting it out with Woolwich and Chelsea for Top 4. We need some big signings and to make decisions to ship out the players who aren't quite up to the task of competiting with the Top 3. It's difficult to say it but the Dippers have caught us up and overtaken us this season, and they'll improve next season with the DM they're getting from Leipzig. We've had a good three years but I personally feel the squad needs re-energizing and refreshing or else things could turn stale.

The Top 3 next season as things stands will be City, United and Liverpool. We need to decide if we want to get up to their level or be fighting it out with Woolwich and Chelsea for Top 4. We need some big signings and to make decisions to ship out the players who aren't quite up to the task of competiting with the Top 3. It's difficult to say it but the Dippers have caught us up and overtaken us this season, and they'll improve next season with the DM they're getting from Leipzig. We've had a good three years but I personally feel the squad needs re-energizing and refreshing or else things could turn stale.
Who should we sell to make room? Asking for a friend.

:sherwoodlol:

Who should we sell to make room? Asking for a friend.

:sherwoodlol:

Big questions over Dier and Lamela in particular, along with Rose and Toby of course. Sissoko goes without saying, as does Llorente. Lamela is the most contentious (hasn't he always been?) but I don't think he gets anywhere near the current top 3 so I don't think the argument for him here is that strong beyond a personal connection to him that some feel. Malcom would be a great replacement - a player who could explode onto the scene. Man City and Liverpool make us look a bit pedestrian in comparison, we're desperately in need of some pace and dynamicness.

Who can say for sure what we need.

Some players will leave for sure but who we buy to make that specific and requisite difference in key matches is the conundrum.

To be clear, we are the best team when you look at cost and wage per player divided by what they deliver but does it translate to silverware?

I think we need to maintain numbers but nudge up the average quality.

Not sure our current operating model will or can support such an ambition so that next bit is less about bandying possible transfer targets about and more to do with what the club will commit to.

But first Premier League loss in 2018 should not drive us to insanity and no material damage has been done.

Back
Top Bottom