Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What made you think Poch wanted to sign Sissoko and Llorenete?

What makes you think he didn't? Do you honestly think that Sissoko and Llorente are players who Daniel Levy would force on a manager? Luke Shaw can't get into the LB position ahead of Ashley Young. The fact you think he would come and displace Davies is quite funny

Shaw was only good when Poch held his hand and made him good and he repaid him by fucking off at the first opportunity.

He then failed under 3 different managers. On top of that he comes across as dim, unprofessional and a pussy to be frank.

From reading Poch's book it seems clear Poch was disappointed in him.

Let's cross him off the list please.

Id take Zaha if they went down, and I quite like their LB Van Aanholt if Rose leaves
Good players can also get relegated, Id happily have any one of Ward Prowse, Boufal, Bertrand, Hojberg and Gabbiadini in our squad if they go too.
Scotty P being testament to that.

I find Zaha interesting because he really does carry Crystal Palace. Could be big fish in a small pond syndrome or a player who would do wonders if he was in a team with other high quality players - i.e. imagine what he might do if defenders are busy marking Kane and he has space to run into.

I find Zaha interesting because he really does carry Crystal Palace. Could be big fish in a small pond syndrome or a player who would do wonders if he was in a team with other high quality players - i.e. imagine what he might do if defenders are busy marking Kane and he has space to run into.
I think, like Dmitri Payet, it may be more of the former than the latter.

As a player who has a stormer every few games amidst more average performances he needs to play regularly.... Make him a bit part player and those moments of gold will become even fewer and further between.

Little to no experience of breaking down 'parked buses' too.

(Also see Siggy.)

As a player who has a stormer every few games amidst more average performances he needs to play regularly.... Make him a bit part player and those moments of gold will become even fewer and further between.

Little to no experience of breaking down 'parked buses' too.

(Also see Siggy.)
Damn, you're probably right.

Trying to find the positives in case it ends up being true that Poch is incredibly keen on him.
:harrysmile:

What makes you think he didn't? Do you honestly think that Sissoko and Llorente are players who Daniel Levy would force on a manager? Luke Shaw can't get into the LB position ahead of Ashley Young. The fact you think he would come and displace Davies is quite funny
Shaw is very talented. People seem to forget that he was on great form and a starter with van gaal until Moreno from psv broke his leg on a brutal way in the champions league. Don’t give me that atitude bullshit. And Mourinho and young players is a worst combination than us and fa cup semis.
I would give him a chance.

I think we're being overly harsh on Serge, Keiran, and Ben. No, they're not classic fullbacks like Walker and Rose were. Aurier still has some things to learn, but has also been at times unlucky.

Trippier and Davies though, while not winning hearts and minds through blistering runs up the flanks, are providing something very useful to the team, and it generally goes unnoticed: they're two of the best passing fullbacks out there. They pass the ball into dangerous locations that create shots. And this year have done so better than Walker or Rose ever have. They don't look as good while doing it, but in terms of raw "end product", they're fucking brilliant.

Trippier and Davies are good options for a top 4 to rotate with slightly better players not indisputable starters. Aurier so far has been a nightmare

So name me a full back who you think would have a better season for us than Davies would. I'm looking for a solid defender who would have been involved in 8 goals so far in the league. Davies has been exceptional for us this season, he's stepped up fantastically well and been committed to the cause. And his thanks is to have our fans suggest that he should be immediately replaced. Fans who say "he does nothing offensively".

The only difference between having Walker and Rose at the back was that they were faster, not better. We'd likely have been in exactly the same position in the league and cups though if we still had both Walker and Rose in the form they were in last season, and the fact that "fans" wish to continually abuse Davies and Trippier since the game at the weekend is a disgrace.

"At least Walker can beat a player" is being spouted constantly. Yet whenever he beat a player he rarely had any end product. Trippier and Davies on the other hand actually have the ability to pick someone out in the box, all while managing to maintain a good defensive position.

Aurier has been a liability the whole season though. He's also shown flashes of sheer brilliance. Am I going to write him off after one season though? Definitely not.

If we're signing a full back this summer, it's likely a backup for Davies to replace Rose.

So name me a full back who you think would have a better season for us than Davies would. I'm looking for a solid defender who would have been involved in 8 goals so far in the league. Davies has been exceptional for us this season, he's stepped up fantastically well and been committed to the cause. And his thanks is to have our fans suggest that he should be immediately replaced. Fans who say "he does nothing offensively".

The only difference between having Walker and Rose at the back was that they were faster, not better. We'd likely have been in exactly the same position in the league and cups though if we still had both Walker and Rose in the form they were in last season, and the fact that "fans" wish to continually abuse Davies and Trippier since the game at the weekend is a disgrace.

"At least Walker can beat a player" is being spouted constantly. Yet whenever he beat a player he rarely had any end product. Trippier and Davies on the other hand actually have the ability to pick someone out in the box, all while managing to maintain a good defensive position.

Aurier has been a liability the whole season though. He's also shown flashes of sheer brilliance. Am I going to write him off after one season though? Definitely not.

If we're signing a full back this summer, it's likely a backup for Davies to replace Rose.
Trippier has not been good enough. Not good consistently enough. Aurier has potential but he’s been shit mostly this year.
Davies has been fantastic this heat clearly playing his best football ever. But the best Davies is still like 3/4 of the best rose. We downgraded a lot

Trippier has not been good enough. Not good consistently enough. Aurier has potential but he’s been shit mostly this year.
Davies has been fantastic this heat clearly playing his best football ever. But the best Davies is still like 3/4 of the best rose. We downgraded a lot
Really not sure if we're not looking at Rose with serious nostalgia here. His passing/crossing was never that great.

I couldn't disagree more. Davies is solid defensively and has a much better footballing brain than Danny Rose, as proven by him still managing to be involved in more goals in a season than Danny Rose has been involved in in any season.

Really not sure if we're not looking at Rose with serious nostalgia here. His passing/crossing was never that great.

Nor his positioning. His tackling and athleticism hid all of his flaws. I still remember Danny Welbeck making him look like a fucking fool numerous times against Woolwich. Literally all you had to do to get past Danny Rose was wait for him to be out of position which he was numerous times a game and then be just as fast as he is. Not a tall feat considering right wingers tend to be pace merchants. Luckily for us, pace merchants usually have the final ball of a Danny Rose.

Rose had very good passing let's not kid ourselves.

He was one of the best LBs in Europe and when we had the best fullbacks in the league all of us considered Rose to be the better one.

The only fullbacks who are/were that good plus have elite crossing and passing are the world class ones like Alves/Alba who are in short supply and at the European giant teams. Rose was at least top 5 LB in Europe at one point.

I couldn't disagree more. Davies is solid defensively and has a much better footballing brain than Danny Rose, as proven by him still managing to be involved in more goals in a season than Danny Rose has been involved in in any season.

Slow and introverted doesn't mean he's got a better footballing brain.

Rose is (or was) better in every aspect by a mile.

Rose had very good passing let's not kid ourselves.

He was one of the best LBs in Europe and when we had the best fullbacks in the league all of us considered Rose to be the better one.

The only fullbacks who are/were that good plus have elite crossing and passing are the world class ones like Alves/Alba who are in short supply and at the European giant teams. Rose was at least top 5 LB in Europe at one point.
Based on what, though? Your affection for him?

I can say that this year, Trippier and Davies are both in the top 10 in Europe when it comes to chances created, among fullbacks. That is a fact. Now, does that come at a cost in other aspects (like recovery pace, or defensive positioning), that's a good area for a discussion. But making pronouncements that "player x was a top 5 leftback in Europe" is kind of a nothing statement. There's no criteria to discuss, or clear agreement from us all about what makes a good fullback.

Slow and introverted doesn't mean he's got a better footballing brain.

Rose is (or was) better in every aspect by a mile.

I know no-one's gonna change each other's mind, but i think it's incorrect to brand Ben an inferior defender. Sure, their attacking prowess are there to be disected, but i think you're over-zealous to be that dismissive.

Back
Top Bottom