Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's interesting isn't it. Mauricio Pochettino and Harry Kane have been so enthralled and convinced by the club and it's direction that they've signed new contracts. But Joe Bloggs in the crowd stays unconvinced.
I do hope we improve the squad over the summer. I genuinely do. I’m also happy that what Poch wants, he will get. But the fact that Poch & Harry have committed to long term deals suggests to me that we can sit back & relax, safe in the knowledge that the club is making the right noises to those central to our best chances of success.
We are all just guessing. Some are guessing that we will have a disappointing window due to tight fisted running of a business. Some are a bit more optimistic knowing that neither Poch nor Harry would have committed themselves long term to something that was going to go backwards or remain static.

If that's how things are done these days, I couldn't give a shit anymore....
Let the Chinese pay whatever they think they should pay... TAX ALLOWING!
They're only paying for the import of more knee-length socks for their teenage girls... or is that the Japenese?
I forget these days.... I SO LACIST!
:lennon:

But don't you think it's reasonable to expect a top notch signing or two though?. You know, considering our CL status, highest ticket prices and so on. That was my question.

I wasn't responding to a question. Simply your distorted view of our agenda.

Personally, I don't view our trf activity in terms of price-tag & 'spend'. I'll probably have formed my opinion during the latter stages of the forthcoming season... However, considering we've had a few duds over 3/4 recent windows yet are still on the up, I'm calm. Boring, I know, but I don't "expect" my "juices" to flow over the next couple of months either way.

Excited as fuck about next season regardless.

Last edited:
I do hope we improve the squad over the summer. I genuinely do. I’m also happy that what Poch wants, he will get. But the fact that Poch & Harry have committed to long term deals suggests to me that we can sit back & relax, safe in the knowledge that the club is making the right noises to those central to our best chances of success.
We are all just guessing. Some are guessing that we will have a disappointing window due to tight fisted running of a business. Some are a bit more optimistic knowing that neither Poch nor Harry would have committed themselves long term to something that was going to go backwards or remain static.
Like I said last season, I'm very happy with our squad. But optimally I'd like 2 new signings. A creative CM to replace the outgoing Dembele (even then, a fit and firing Winksy will do) and a left wing back. Very happy with our front line.

The fact Kane, Dele, Eriksen, Vertonghen Lloris, Son, Dier etc and Poch want to be walking out for the first time onto that new WHL pitch, just imagine what that feeling is going to be like being cheered on by 61k yids! We are most definitely not being static.

Bit ironic that you criticize John for cherry picking quotes and then do exactly the same yourself. Also you have this weird idea that debt is bad, that's not the case at all.

Also the quote you've chosen doesn't really support your point, does it? It says we won't invest crazy money, but that doesn't mean he expects us to have zero net spend

But we will have zero net spend when the window shuts regardless, and then John can start the new season moaning, like he ended this one moaning, and you can take another sabbatical come November when we're not top by 15 points......

It very much supports my point. We will not be spending in the way certain posters are claiming Poch has implied. Its total fantasy.
Just like when you think spending money isnt spending if its all your own money, and you break even at the end of it. Even got to the stage where I posted the Oxford definition of spend, and you actually thought that you had a more correct definition.......something about football spending being different from the rest of the worlds spending wasnt it?

You know there are doctors out there right

Last edited:
If well run means record profit margins and board room bonuses then I guess I have to agree with you. If those are your parameters then good for you.
But you could argue, from a fan perspective, well run should be measured by titles and trophies. In that regard, you'd probably be the first to admit youre wide of the mark

Sadly, the on-pitch action doesn't get to exist inside it's own bubble... (I wish it did, genuinely #modernfootball )

You're confusing a well run club, with a successful football team... Every team that didn't win a trophy last year is being ripped off? ...Besides, your back-flips over us breaking our wage-cap didn't last long did they? ....Your "juices" not flow over the fat new contract we just gave Poch whilst fending off RM's supposed advances in the process?

Not necessarily the first season we move in to a £850m stadium, no.

...And then there's this AGAIN.

The board aren't to blame for us being trophy-less last season... As much as it pains me to say; we - the playing/management staff - fucked it.... Yes, all 3 times.

We are at a juncture where ENICs plans are visibly coming to fruition... Your fears should be - at least partially - eased at this point (see above)... Yet nothing's changed for you. Deep down, you just want to be impressed by spending(*); which is an inherently & fundamentally flawed position.

(...*But not progressive spending such as the stadium and the long term player contracts and pay hikes we're dishing out that are in turn sustained by said stadium; no just 'glamour' spending of the kind that will just be swiftly 'countered-acted' the moment City/Utd next get their cheque books out.)

We'll sign players this summer.... Don't be a pussy... Hold your nerve... Why tear yourself up about how much money we haven't spent yet.

Last edited:
It's interesting isn't it. Mauricio Pochettino and Harry Kane have been so enthralled and convinced by the club and it's direction that they've signed new contracts. But Joe Bloggs in the crowd stays unconvinced.

Gotta respect the higher appreciation for the game that can only come from larking about drinking beer whilst watching a match. :llorishuh:

Besides, your back-flips over us breaking our wage-cap didn't last long did they? ....Your "juices" not flow overthe fat new contract we just gave Poch whilst fending off RM's supposed advances in the process?

Its simply a case of move onto the next moan......I said it to him a couple years ago, nothing will be enough. Win the PL, and within a fortnight he'll be shitting his pants over our defending season, and how everyone else will be out to get us, and how we need to keep improving, and why didnt we win the CL etc etc etc etc etc etc etc

Fuck him, Spurs will never be good enough for him......because....because.....look at them over there, they just did this and that...

Would rather Rabiot. We have Moura.
Would rather a DLP than B2B like Rabiot personally. Im not very convinced of Rabiot, admittedly in a very limited time i got to watch him.
And this whole turning his back of his NT has lower my appetite even more.
Need a very well tune high engine type of player in our mid.

This part cant be denied. Still theres no harm in discussing what Poch may or may not have meant with this risk taking thing. Thats not really moaning or negative. Neither is being not particularly excited by Grealish. Hopefully it will work out if we are signing him.

John can start the new season moaning, like he ended this one moaning, and you can take another sabbatical come November when we're not top by 15 points......
Whatever. See my post below as this season came to its conlclusion
Congratulations and well done to the whole club.

The players, the fans, the manager, the ch...ch.chh. chairman.

Seriously though, taking Wembley and everything else into account, it's a massive, massive achievment.
So fucking happy tonight, im grabbing a couple of beers.
Just wish you could ALL join me!
sammyspurs sammyspurs . Only seeing what he wants to see. Exaggerating to make a point. John only slags off the club blah blah blah.
What a wonderland this place would be if we all thought and posted like you, eh. :disdain:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom