Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In my heart I don’t want Dembele to go. He has been a good servent for the club and provided us with some amazing football. But my head says if we get a big fee then he should go. It seems like he knows he won’t be able to keep up with the PL much longer and sees Italy or China as easier play. Let’s be honest Moose has one good hip and probably 1 good year left in him at a PL pace.

Is that what you thought he meant by risk? Signing cheap players from the championship. Just wondering if that's what you really think he meant. Also, considering the groundbreaking ticket prices
we're being asked to pay, is it really not too unreasonable for fans to expect a big name marquee signing or two to get the juices flowing?

Signing players simply to get fan "juices flowing" is unlikely to be high up the agenda of a well run club.

Thankfully we ARE a well run club.

Signing players simply to get fan "juices flowing" is unlikely to be high up the agenda of a well run club.

What they dont understand is that this club will not go into debt, or risk its finances on anyone......if we sign a player for 100M, its because we can afford to. So it wouldnt be a risk anyway. They also have "read between the lines" of the word risk, but totally ignored the part where he says:

“We need to think that our reality is different, because we are not this type of club that will invest crazy money.”

Its all right there, in the VERY same quotes they are using......talk about delusion..its almost narcissistic, that you believe so hard that you know what someone meant, that you actually ignore what they said.

Last edited:
Just putting some thoughts on Poch's intention when he says 'risks'. Seems like a big argument this past month.
You are all not wrong saying everything is a risk. But signing a championship players for a reasonable fee doesnt warrant a statement to public right before a showdown talk after season ends.
I mean we are already doing that. If that is what Poch wants, he didnt need to say its a risk, he can just tells the board these players can help us, therefore please provide him for a decent annual expenditure on the right timing.

Im not saying signing Grealish is not what Poch wanted, he could want several things. But it gotta be something more massive.
It might be, lets go out on a stretch and say he wants to sell Kane because his presence is polarising the team. Or maybe sell all the Belgians that God forbid has an agenda against him. Then his idea might be to assemble a squad with single purpose towards glory he can work with.
Or it could be buys all the controversial English players. Or maybe buy Wilshere and Ramsey.
It could also be buying Bale, or Griezmann or Dybala etc.

my point is, buying potential wonderkid for a reasonable fee is certainly not what he meant by taking risks. Of that, im very sure.

Lets not see any action by the club is the direct result of the showdown talk and supposed risk. We could do multiple things.

Even if we end up with underwhelming summer, we cant be sure Levy is letting Poch down unless Poch said it himself, in a book maybe.

Oh really...? :levyeyes:

Paris St-Germain need to sell 60m euros worth of players to meet FFP rules

Paris St-Germain need to sell 60m euros (£52.9m) worth of players by the end of June, to comply with financial fair play (FFP) rules.

They were cleared of breaching FFP rules, but the French club's transfer dealings from last summer onwards will remain "under close scrutiny".

Uefa opened an investigation into PSG's spending in September.

It came after PSG broke the world record transfer fee in August 2017 when they signed Neymar for £200m.

They also signed Kylian Mbappe on loan, and could pay £165.7m for him this summer.

"The financial impact of transfer activities as from the 2017 summer - up to and including the upcoming transfer window - and compliance with the break-even requirement for the 2018 financial year will remain under close scrutiny and will be thoroughly looked at in the coming weeks," Uefa said in statement.

European football's governing body introduced FFP 'break-even' rules in 2013, requiring clubs to balance their spending with their revenue.

In closing the investigation, Uefa said the "break-even result of the club remains within acceptable deviation" for the past three financial years.

The seven-time French champions have been owned by the Gulf state of Qatar, via its Qatar Sports Investments fund, since 2011.​
Do they still want Draxler??

Maybe the risk, and his discussion at the contract talks was smashing our wage restrictions?

How anyone can suggest Levy isn't putting his money where his mouth is when he's just committed £90million on the best striker in the World is beyond me. Oh, and a load more on Poch.

But don't you think it's reasonable to expect a top notch signing or two though?. You know, considering our CL status, highest ticket prices and so on. That was my question.

What they dont understand is that this club will not go into debt, or risk its finances on anyone......if we sign a player for 100M, its because we can afford to. So it wouldnt be a risk anyway. They also have "read between the lines" of the word risk, but totally ignored the part where he says:

“We need to think that our reality is different, because we are not this type of club that will invest crazy money.”

Its all right there, in the VERY same quotes they are using......talk about delusion..its almost narcissistic, that you believe so hard that you know what someone meant, that you actually ignore what they said.
Bit ironic that you criticize John for cherry picking quotes and then do exactly the same yourself. Also you have this weird idea that debt is bad, that's not the case at all.

Also the quote you've chosen doesn't really support your point, does it? It says we won't invest crazy money, but that doesn't mean he expects us to have zero net spend

If well run means record profit margins and board room bonuses then I guess I have to agree with you. If those are your parameters then good for you.
But you could argue, from a fan perspective, well run should be measured by titles and trophies. In that regard, you'd probably be the first to admit youre wide of the mark

Maybe the risk, and his discussion at the contract talks was smashing our wage restrictions?

How anyone can suggest Levy isn't putting his money where his mouth is when he's just committed £90million on the best striker in the World is beyond me. Oh, and a load more on Poch.
I think this is the most likely explanation of what he meant by taking risks. It’s a huge commitment. It’s also one that was needed. I’ve been saying for the last couple of windows that the best business the club can do is to secure Poch & the players that Poch wants. We have a first XI that can compete with anyone on their day. And the core of the team remains very young. As it grows over the next couple of years, we could be on the cusp of something spectacular. Maybe Poch senses that? Maybe he doesn’t want the players unsettled by contract talk?
Or maybe he thinks we should blow our entire transfer budget on a Bale type signing? Who knows what he truly meant?
The bottom line is, he’s signed a new contract. Harry has signed a new contract. They are both very ambitious men. It’s a very positive signal that both have signed so early. I’m guessing that they are reassured enough by the club’s stance to have put pen to paper when they could have walked into new clubs on even more staggering contracts.

I think this is the most likely explanation of what he meant by taking risks. It’s a huge commitment. It’s also one that was needed. I’ve been saying for the last couple of windows that the best business the club can do is to secure Poch & the players that Poch wants. We have a first XI that can compete with anyone on their day. And the core of the team remains very young. As it grows over the next couple of years, we could be on the cusp of something spectacular. Maybe Poch senses that? Maybe he doesn’t want the players unsettled by contract talk?
Or maybe he thinks we should blow our entire transfer budget on a Bale type signing? Who knows what he truly meant?
The bottom line is, he’s signed a new contract. Harry has signed a new contract. They are both very ambitious men. It’s a very positive signal that both have signed so early. I’m guessing that they are reassured enough by the club’s stance to have put pen to paper when they could have walked into new clubs on even more staggering contracts.
It's interesting isn't it. Mauricio Pochettino and Harry Kane have been so enthralled and convinced by the club and it's direction that they've signed new contracts. But Joe Bloggs in the crowd stays unconvinced.

Back
Top Bottom