Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
And i'd like to add to that along with a shiny new training facility and gin palace being built, we also have one of these....

33943d1355091223-trophy-case-udu2ny02ntkunjqxoa-.jpg

Is that for the cheese??

So poch reiterating we definitely need to sign players and the calibre of players coming in has to make our star players feel threatened.
Clearly Poch isnt looking for squad players (like some have been claiming the whole summer) and he wants to bring in high quality players that can actually make the first eleven. None of this "we cant possibly improve the eleven" defeatist bullshit with this manager.

Thats actually pretty funny considering we are looking at Barkley, Foyth and Tolijan...

Keep tripping over the quotes you like, ad dismissing the ones you dont.
Its you thats going to be up in arms when the window slams shut and we havent signed the likes of Bale and Dybala etc......because its you that thinks "squad cover" is a dirty word.

Trippier has taken over from Walker...fancy that.

You arent listening pal.....Poch trains players to challenge the first 11. Squad players. He isnt going to sign better than Eriksen for 90M so he can challenge Eriksen from the bench.

LOL, yes who's talking bullshit

A couple of jabronis on here that continuously claimed we can't possibly improve the first eleven therefore we shouldnt even attempt to...and instead focus on bringing in squad players to bulk up the squad. A very defeatist atitude which ive said throughout this thread.

And what is bulking up the squad all about? Improving it.

You have claimed we should sign 1 or 2 players to immediately improve the first team, yet you are now trying to claim that Poch agrees with your stance,

Despite openly admitting that he wants to bring in players to challenge our first 11 and give competition for places.

Thats squad cover. You are at a total loss as to what this club is doing, or what you are even saying.

Last edited:
The difference is that you would care if the NDP had been abandoned due to costs......you wouldnt be celebrating that we had signed Barkley, Lukaku and Siggy for 175M.
You wouldnt be praising Levy for paying the likes of Toby and Dele "whatever they want" to keep them.
You wouldnt be saying "well done" for not selling Walker.

You'd be bitching about how a club of our size has a piddly little 36k stadium and everyone else has a bigger one, and how we are lacking ambition because if it.

Face it, you want it all, and when you get it, you will simply want more.
?
Not on your nelly but l like you very much.
I even have some fruit on my head .

You said " We will buy at a premium - if we sign Barkley, it'll probably be for around £25m. 12 months ago you would have fallen off a stool at the idea that we'd pay that for a player with 10 months left on his contract.

I understood that you are implying £25m is too high for Barkleys and would have been much cheaper last season for same player who has less than 12 month contract.
I wanted to know in your opinion how much Barkley would have been worth last season with same scenario of less than 12 months contract.
IMO we will be lucky to land Barkley for £25m, it will bargain in today's market. I could be wrong.
I am basing on the fact that Everton paid £30m for Keane who had similar contract to Barkley.

When you consider that Middlesborough have just paid 15 million for Assomgalonga (and 60 grand a week) a player who hasn't attracted any interest from the PL then paying twice that for Barkley a proven PL and England International is a price worth paying irrespective of contract length he has at Everton.

If Levy doesn't see that as good business then he needs to go and find another Ruel Fox or similar who will be cheap and likely heading out on loan in twelve months time, there is already a list of them after just two odd seasons under Poch.

The new ground has fuck all to do with the ring fenced transfer funds that are available to Poch. To suggest that players do not want to come to bench warm is fucking stupid when thats exactly what is happening at other top six PL clubs. That's how competition is bred, and it's a pitiful excuse to say that a last two season CL top four side cannot find one fucking player worth a shit that would move to London in a heartbeat.

A real loser mentality but thank fuck our manager has now clearly stated he doesn't go for that loser mentality bullshit.

“Bringing players and trying to put more pressure on their star players, their key players – and for us we need to do that too.”
“We understand that Dele Alli, Harry Kane, Christian Eriksen, [Eric] Dier, [Toby] Alderweireld are really good players. They want to win but need to feel the pressure a little bit to improve every season.

“If there’s no competition in behind it’s normal to drop your motivation, it’s normal to drop everything that you do. And then it’s difficult to win.”

You do know what behind means dont you? That means our signings are the type that will challenge our KEY players from the bench.
You have gone total whack job friend....you seem to have completely misunderstood, and come out swinging so hard you have punched yourself in the face again.

Here is something else you also claimed regarding spending 44M on Douglas Costa:

I would actually be happy if we paid that and literally did nothing else this window apart from flog some fringe players.

Taking out the sale of Walker as that was said before, wouldnt you find that a rather wanky and defeatist approach to our window.

Poch mentions players coming in to challenge "Eriksen, Kane, Dier,Toby and Dele" from behind, but you'd be happy to spunk a small fortune on one attacker and sell Wimmer, Njie and Nkoudo?
Somehow, thats the same as what Poch said?

Last edited:
The Goat isn't a person, it IS the SC people. Apparently they use "The Goat" to release "info" that isn't coming from the household bullshiters.
The whole site is one big fraud.

Laughable that several "ITK's" made posts about that Gazza fella coming after the newspapers wrote it :dembelelol:
Instead of calling them out, the retards over there say "Oh they must have gotten it from the same source as the newspapers, seeing as they released it more or less at the same time" :dembelelol:
The worst is nazi-in-chief A&C who rigorously patrols the forums, banning any person who dares question the legitimacy of ITK's. He's also a part-time beggar

The worst is nazi-in-chief A&C who rigorously patrols the forums, banning any person who dares question the legitimacy of ITK's. He's also a part-time beggar

Guy is the biggest bell piece on the planet. Literally patrols that ITK thread like some sort of Stalin dictator and bans anyone that starts to divert attention away from anything ITK related. The guy is a prized prick and they all lick his ass on there. There's about as much trustworthy ITK on there as there is Tottenham signing anyone in this pathetic transfer window..... zilch!!!

I think only caring about trophies is a pretty shallow way to support a football club. There are grass roots football fans up and down the country that happened to grow up supporting lower or non-league teams that love their club passionately, despite not having "galactico" players and huge trophy cabinets. Look at clubs like Brighton, who were nearly completely wiped out before rising back to the Premier League, their fans stuck with their club through thick and thin. Plenty of clubs have chairmen that are happy to run them into the ground, ours is not doing that, but preserving and building our future. Claiming that you deserve trophies because you contribute money to the club is pretty bizarre and kinda not the point of being a football fan, in my humble opinion anyhow.

Right but there's a big difference mate. Spurs are not Brighton because we have totally different ambitions for the club. Judging by our stadium move etc, we clearly are looking to establish ourselves as a top club in the country. So with being a top club you need to win trophies and we just don't do that as a club.

You comparing us to lower league sides is ridiculous because we are on complete different wavelengths to these clubs. For a club of our size we should be winning a lot more trophies. The Spurs fans are probably the most patient fans in the world because we have to put up with set backs for so long now.

This club need to win stuff it's that simple otherwise we run the risk of starting all over again. So to summarise it, yes trophies are the be end and all for a club of our side and current ambition. If we want to keep our best players then we need to start winning trophies. Maybe you enjoy Spurs being a nearly club all your life but I want my club to start winning stuff.

When you consider that Middlesborough have just paid 15 million for Assomgalonga (and 60 grand a week) a player who hasn't attracted any interest from the PL then paying twice that for Barkley a proven PL and England International is a price worth paying irrespective of contract length he has at Everton.

If Levy doesn't see that as good business then he needs to go and find another Ruel Fox or similar who will be cheap and likely heading out on loan in twelve months time, there is already a list of them after just two odd seasons under Poch.

The new ground has fuck all to do with the ring fenced transfer funds that are available to Poch. To suggest that players do not want to come to bench warm is fucking stupid when thats exactly what is happening at other top six PL clubs. That's how competition is bred, and it's a pitiful excuse to say that a last two season CL top four side cannot find one fucking player worth a shit that would move to London in a heartbeat.

So....by your logic Middleborough makes a shitty deal, therefore each chairman at every other club must immediately go out and make an equally impulsive purchase to prove they fucking care.

Seriously - it doesn't even make sense. A player is not worth 2X because he's rated 84 on FIFA while this other player rated 42 went for X.

A player is only ever worth what someone is willing to pay for him...right now we're the only ones pursuing Barkley, therefore he's worth exactly what we say. Eventually even those Everton cunts will figure that out, and maybe he'll arrive.

turks dont have money. fucking forget it
On the one hand it gets him out, recognises he was shit for us and underlines how his last-minute signing was an awful mistake.

On the other hand, I have ever-decreasing confidence in us signing significant replacements. We can barely scrape together a bench of any recognised strength for Juve, we'll have got rid of four players from last year's squad as things stand by next week. However dismal Sissoko is, you have to think he'd be better coming off the bench against Bayern than say Tashan Oakley-Boothe

Last edited:
On the one hand it gets him out, recognises he was shit for us and underlines how his last-minute signing was an awful mistake.

On the other hand, I have ever-decreasing confidence in us signing significant replacements. We can barely scrape together a bench of any recognised strength for Juve, we'll have got rid of four players from last year's squad as things stand by next week. However dismal Sissoko is, you have to think he'd be better coming off the bench against Bayern than say Tashan Oakley-Boothe
i would sell him if we bought someone with the money

So....by your logic Middleborough makes a shitty deal, therefore each chairman at every other club must immediately go out and make an equally impulsive purchase to prove they fucking care.

Seriously - it doesn't even make sense. A player is not worth 2X because he's rated 84 on FIFA while this other player rated 42 went for X.

A player is only ever worth what someone is willing to pay for him...right now we're the only ones pursuing Barkley, therefore he's worth exactly what we say. Eventually even those Everton cunts will figure that out, and maybe he'll arrive.
To be fair he does have a point about the not coming to be on the bench. It's bollocks.
I sure City had Aguero, Dzeko, Ballotelli and Tevez at one time. Bony had no qualms going there.
They have KDB, Sterling, Sane, Silva , SilvaB, Gundogan, Toure, Fernandinho for 5 spots. I suppose you could put Jesus in there too.
It is what is happening at other top clubs.
Yet a lot are missing the point, wages.

It makes challenging for a place, and being squad player, much more attractive when you are getting paid more.
Also you may have the chance of winning a medal, which if you are realistic , has more chance of happening at City, Utd, Woolwich or Chelsea, becuase of that same reason..wages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom