Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
So at the point we signed them, there existed a potential future where they were both bargains, or both expensive.

Is this another one of those straw men things where you're trying to make out that someone has said "we shouldn't buy expensive players" when no one has?
:avbcringe:
No at all.
I thought your valuation of Barkley is low which I'm assuming is based mainly on his contract left at Everton.

Last edited:
FFP today allows sheiks and oligarks to keep clubs as pets. I am proud that this club i leashed by a proper business man instead

Proud of what mate? The fact we don't win any trophies? I bet city fans were saying " I wish we had better net spend " when Aguero in the greatest moment in premier league history scored their winner to clinvh the league. I bet they would swap net spend for that moment hey!!!!

I couldn't give a fuck about net spend Dude or how well run we are. It doesn't get us trophies does it? I lay out enough money into this club and I'm fully entitled to expect more silverware than the pathetic amount we have won under Daniel Levy's leadership.

I think £25m or even £30m is good price for Barkley, we have to go with current market prices plus show ambition, we have been 3rd and 2nd in last 2 seasons. Even at these prices we are taking advantage of the short contract he has, otherwise he is worth £50m plus. I won't be surprised if Everton won't sell below £40m, they know who ever buys him gives him 4 year contract can flog him for £50m in January or even more next June. But markets are supply and demand and if there are no other offers then they will accept £20m rather than nothing next June.
They just paid £30m for defender Keane who had 12 months contract with Burnley.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
All transfers are risky. Going back through the years, you can identify loads of players who were highly regarded, who then just didn't cut the mustard or justify their transfer fee as things turned out.
We've had our fair share of them too.
I'm comfortable that Poch has this under control. Of course we'd all have liked to have seen any new signings done & dusted by now, & I reckon Poch would agree with us that this is how it would be in an ideal world.

With Barkley, it seems he's been identified as our main target. Wouldn't be my choice but again, Poch has my complete faith. If I was negotiating his signature, I'd be waiting to see if there were any complications with his operation. I'd want to see the fucker gambolling round like a spring lamb before committing to a multi million pound deal. Everton need to sell soon if he won't commit to a new contract as his value will be dropping daily as his contract ticks down. It's all in the timing, & whilst I genuinely don't want this to drag on to deadline day, I can see why we haven't waded in with (e.g.) a £40 million bid.

If, as is rumoured, there is a stumbling block with Siggy's sell on fee, then I can see it dragging on until someone flinches. That someone won't be Levy

Josh Onomah going someone is coming in centre midfield or right wing where Poch seems to fancy him. Thinking his sale means Barkley is done ish. Feel for Onomah a bit, looked and sounded like he was learning from playing and training with Dembele and Wanyama then gets chucked into the depths with Steve Bruce. Saying that I'd play Winks over him at every opportunity but still a bit strange, thought he was ready for premier league albeit somewhere further down the table.

Villa are spending big - I reckon they agreed to pay what ever loan fee we were asking and also guaranteed first team football.

If, as is rumoured, there is a stumbling block with Siggy's sell on fee, then I can see it dragging on until someone flinches. That someone won't be Levy

Correct - it will / has to be Everton, they are the ones who have mismanaged Barkley's contract.

The only thing that unlocks it for them is another team coming in for him, hence they keep on trying to link him to other clubs.

You asked what he would be worth last year if he had 10 months left
Yes I did because you said "12 months ago you would have fallen off a stool at the idea that we'd pay that for a player with 10 months left on his contract".

I have no hidden agenda.

If more than one club bids for Barkley this summer, his price will be around £40m and Spurs will lose.

Yes I did because you said "12 months ago you would have fallen off a stool at the idea that we'd pay that for a player with 10 months left on his contract".

I have no hidden agenda.

If more than one club bids for Barkley this summer, his price will be around £40m and Spurs will lose.

What does that have to do with 12 months ago?

Are you suggesting £25m for a player with less than a year on his contract would have been a bargain this time last year?

The Goat on sc has to be the biggest bullshitter ever. I'm pretty sure it's an A&C alt, he's now jumped on the gazanigga bandwagon, acting as if he knows anything. Same thing when he made a 'cryptic' about Foyth after we had been linked with him for days

What does that have to do with 12 months ago?

Are you suggesting £25m for a player with less than a year on his contract would have been a bargain this time last year?
You said " We will buy at a premium - if we sign Barkley, it'll probably be for around £25m. 12 months ago you would have fallen off a stool at the idea that we'd pay that for a player with 10 months left on his contract.

I understood that you are implying £25m is too high for Barkleys and would have been much cheaper last season for same player who has less than 12 month contract.
I wanted to know in your opinion how much Barkley would have been worth last season with same scenario of less than 12 months contract.
IMO we will be lucky to land Barkley for £25m, it will bargain in today's market. I could be wrong.
I am basing on the fact that Everton paid £30m for Keane who had similar contract to Barkley.

Oh come on. The evidence is there season after season, transfer window after transfer window. It's nothing to do with the anti Levy crowd. He's known throughout the football world for his brinkmanship and hard line approach to player purchases. Often resulting 2nd or 3rd choice gambles. You must be blind not to at least acknowledge this
Definitely, but you sometimes go ott with the Levy criticism. You have to see the great things he's done for the club, he's dragged us from midtable mediocrity to where we are now

You said " We will buy at a premium - if we sign Barkley, it'll probably be for around £25m. 12 months ago you would have fallen off a stool at the idea that we'd pay that for a player with 10 months left on his contract.

Yes...

I understood that you are implying £25m is too high for Barkley would have been much cheaper last season for same player who has less than 12 month contract.

No, it would have been high 12 months ago. Hence why I said 12 months ago, not now.

I wanted to know in your opinion how much Barkley would have been worth last season with same scenario of less than 12 months contract.

I said this the first time you asked:

You'd have to look at other examples and suggest it would be in the region of £10m- £15m imo.

IMO we will be lucky to land Barkley for £25m, it will bargain in today's market. I could be wrong.
I am basing on the fact that Everton paid £30m for Keane who had similar contract to Barkley.

Why are you basing it on Everton? They are about to drop £50m on Siggy. They're the exception, not the standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom