Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's hilarious is that within 2 years we've signed N'Jie, N'Koudou and Sissoko for a near combined £60,000,000 - that would have got us both Dembele AND Martial. Two players we were linked with and close to signing.

Fuck it, throw in Dembele from Celtic and we'd still have spent less.
Timo Werner too, it's mental how much we've missed out on
Also got Alli, Alderweireld, and Wanyama for a combined 25 million. You win some, you lose some.

See what happens when we sign players who are used to playing in this country!?

Maybe Redknapp was on to something.
He was certainly right on Parker (that was entirely him pushing for it, if I recall correctly?).

PFA player of the year getting relegated afterward and moving to Spurs in the summer? As I've said before, very much wouldn't mind getting Mahrez.

tumblr_n2iw0ybHoU1tvjti3o1_500.gif

He was certainly right on Parker (that was entirely him pushing for it, if I recall correctly?).

PFA player of the year getting relegated afterward and moving to Spurs in the summer? As I've said before, very much wouldn't mind getting Mahrez.

tumblr_n2iw0ybHoU1tvjti3o1_500.gif

The times 'Arry got it right for us was when he pushed for Palacios, we needed some midfield steel. Gallas, Crouch, Krancjar, Gudjohnson were all pretty solid players with PL experience. Signing Parker and Adebayor on loan took us to another level, shame those players were nearing the end of their careers.

Can't help but feel we need an experienced guy in there. Like a Gudjohnsen, who came in on no doubt low wages compares to what a Ibrahimovic would demand, come in as someone who has won things, a calming influence and one willing to bring his experience and expertise to the squad.

I still remember how good he was and feel he was a key part in us getting top four that year. I still remember our home win over Woolwich, our first in 10+ years. Woolwich were dominating is at the end, we brought Gudjohnsen on and the composure he provided was outstanding.

That's why I felt Zlatan would have been perfect for this team last year; the group needs that Cantona-esque catalyst who knows how to win and can become a protagonist of the crucial initial few victories. Tevez would have been ideal had the Chinese not seduced him with that mega salary; beyond him there aren't that many who fit the criteria. Rooney on a 12 month loan? He won't go to China yet because of the prospect of participating in the WC 2018 still appeals to him, and despite his terrible form at United for the past 3 years a (premature) Indian Summer in his career in a new environment surrounded by exuberant young talent isn't beyond comprehension.

I'm not sure Isco is the answer; James Rodriguez is more productive, direct and probably wouldn't cost much more.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of funds Pocchettino has available to him this summer; one of Martial or Dybala would be the ideal signing, and even worth sacrificing Alli for. Both could play as the focal point allowing Kane to rest, as well as in support of him from a deeper/wider position.

See what happens when we sign players who are used to playing in this country!?

The Ferguson formula.

Certainly was the case when signing Saha and Nelson, both PL stalwarts.

Ah yes, Saha who ended that season with 3 goals in 5 starts and Nelsen who came in as an experienced bench warming centre half who helped us on our way to the semi finals of the FA Cup with a goal, Saha also scoring in that game.

I'd love for us to make a huge signing. After all, we'll most likely be playing next season at Wembley - that could be quite a big pull for some players.

I'd love for us to make a huge signing. After all, we'll most likely be playing next season at Wembley - that could be quite a big pull for some players.
I'd hope the new stadium will end up being even more attractive to players!
Though of course there's the prestige of Wembley that pretty much any footballer finds romantic (whether they've watched a match there may be another story).

Could Daley Blind be a good buy for us?
Mourinho set to axe Man United star to make room for £40m international
Relatively young (26), can play left-back/centre-back/midfield (and LWB?), and was at Ajax with Vertonghen & Alderweireld I think? United wages would no doubt be tough to match though...

Already have Wimmer/Vertonghen/Alderweireld/Dier at CB, Rose/Davies at LB, Wanyama/Dembele/Winks as central mids....not sure I see the point. I really want Levy/Poch to focus on buying a top attacking mid/winger, that's the biggest weakness the club has right now.

Yes, that's certainly priority #1 at the moment - someone to vary the attacking play/level. But, if we're to continue with 3 at the back then I think back up for CB/LWB do become a weakness - as we've seem with Wimmer/Davies in for Vertonghen & Rose recently...

Attacking left back (Replace Davies)
Attacking midfielder (Needs to be competition for Eriksen and very technical/creative. This is the biggy)
Young striker (Kane needs help, doesn't look like Janssen will be that guy. Keep Janssen anyway).

Possibly need a new LCB, as I think Wimmer will leave due to lack of playing time. Other than that, the squad if strong.

Attacking midfielder (Needs to be competition for Eriksen and very technical/creative. This is the biggy)

There is talent like this everywhere which is why some of the most creative Premier League players didn't cost anymore than £15,000,000. It's about scouting and taking gambles.

Whether or not Pochettino wants that is another thing.

Son - good player with scope to improve. Quick and direct with a decent strike on him. 11 goals, not bad considering the opportunities he's been given.

Lamela - selling would be a big nono unless he really was that homesick but his tough tackling/technical style of play is fantastic giving fullbacks plenty of cover. Alot of the time he is our heartbeat and the guy who rallies the troops.

Just disagree with pretty much most of what you said.
But i didnt say we should sell Son? Nor do i want him sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom