Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still feel like the Barkley saga will eventually turn on us. Agent pulled the plug - sounds a lot like my conspiracy theory that they'd convince him to play out his contract at Everton in exchange for megabucks wages next summer when he's available for a free. Fun to laugh at the misery of the cunts, but I just feel like they get Barkley for nothing now.

Maybe PTSD, just really feel that's how it's gonna work.

Still feel like the Barkley saga will eventually turn on us. Agent pulled the plug - sounds a lot like my conspiracy theory that they'd convince him to play out his contract at Everton in exchange for megabucks wages next summer when he's available for a free. Fun to laugh at the misery of the cunts, but I just feel like they get Barkley for nothing now.

No at all, he wants spurs.

I don't think Chelsea, of all clubs, desperately short of players (never mind English) would need/want to do any of that anyway.

If we do well up until January I think he's ours. I do think we need him along with a beasty winger that's as direct as you like to really top it off and mount a proper challenge. I'm sure these are top of the managers list he's got most things right so far

More importantly, I think Barkley saw the light that Chelsea were just trying to bring him in as an English/home-grown warm body.

Fuck's sake, they just signed Drinkwater. Bloody obvious what they were looking for.

I think he wants to develop into his full potential. At Chelsea he would not get the chance to do that as Conte, much like Mourinho is all about winning.

Pochettino is the right man for him. We are the best place, along with Dortmund for any youngster taking their talent and progression seriously and I love it!!!

I think he wants to develop into his full potential. At Chelsea he would not get the chance to do that as Conte, much like Mourinho is all about winning.

Pochettino is the right man for him. We are the best place, along with Dortmund for any youngster taking their talent and progression seriously and I love it!!!
And remember, even if he thought Conte would be good for his development, there's a darn good chance he'll be taking his severance package within two years anyway!

tbonepremier suggests:

_ He is not satisfied with THFC summer transfers.
_ He dosn't believe the club is in good place.
_ He doesn't care about winning trophies.
_ He is not convinced with the work of THFC board and DL are doing
:levystare::pochunimpressed:

:dembelefingers:

Last edited:
I seriously think that Sissoko chances to make it here is escalated by a margin now that Aurier is here. They are friends, plays on the same flank, both will be trying to help each others.
Just a bit curious as to why Sissoko looks slow these days. Getting fat or what?
Im just saying the probability is increase a lot, not saying it definitely will. Though, i might have jinx it with this post.

Something I've been thinking about since the window closed...

We're still holding tight on our wage structure at least until next year. You'd hope that when we move into the new stadium, matchday revenue explodes immediately and the wage ceiling can be raised.

Yes, the stadium needs paying off, but surely TV money etc can contribute towards that more directly.

The reason I say this is... unless we could attract a young talented attacking player with lower wages this summer, then we were pretty limited in who we could target. If anyone on the continent (yes, with pace) garners attention then their transfer fee and prospective wage demands get rather high indeed.

I don't think our hitch is about the transfer fee (see: Davinson Sanchez) but moreso wages that would exceed those of our top earners. Christ, just look at the £120k + a week that Oxlade-Chamberlain is getting to go to Liverpool. I actually think Poch could have made him a better player, but there's a damn good reason we weren't in the running with Liverpool and Chelsea. Defensive players (like Sanchez) are a bit less 'sexy' which is why I think we were able to splash out on such an exciting young player in that position.

Yes, we could increase our turnover/wages ratio like Liverpool have, but I do wonder if they'll find themselves in trouble considering how much they are currently willing to fork out to new players.

TL;DR I think our entire style of transfer activity will be different in next summer. In the meantime, I'm glad overall that we resisted being held to ransom to buy overpriced mediocrity that would have fit inside our current wage structure.

Something I've been thinking about since the window closed...

We're still holding tight on our wage structure at least until next year. You'd hope that when we move into the new stadium, matchday revenue explodes immediately and the wage ceiling can be raised.

Yes, the stadium needs paying off, but surely TV money etc can contribute towards that more directly.

The reason I say this is... unless we could attract a young talented attacking player with lower wages this summer, then we were pretty limited in who we could target. If anyone on the continent (yes, with pace) garners attention then their transfer fee and prospective wage demands get rather high indeed.

I don't think our hitch is about the transfer fee (see: Davinson Sanchez) but moreso wages that would exceed those of our top earners. Christ, just look at the £120k + a week that Oxlade-Chamberlain is getting to go to Liverpool. I actually think Poch could have made him a better player, but there's a damn good reason we weren't in the running with Liverpool and Chelsea. Defensive players (like Sanchez) are a bit less 'sexy' which is why I think we were able to splash out on such an exciting young player in that position.

Yes, we could increase our turnover/wages ratio like Liverpool have, but I do wonder if they'll find themselves in trouble considering how much they are currently willing to fork out to new players.

TL;DR I think our entire style of transfer activity will be different in next summer. In the meantime, I'm glad overall that we resisted being held to ransom to buy overpriced mediocrity that would have fit inside our current wage structure.

Expect to see a bunch of new contracts handed out now since the window is closed.

I suspect we'll still be "bargain hunting" in January and next summer.

Barkley should be here in January. Max Meyer's contract runs out next summer.

I'm sure there are more names i'm forgetting, but that's the type of player we'll be targeting.

Poch must have really wanted Sanchez. Not really a typical Levy signing.

Expect to see a bunch of new contracts handed out now since the window is closed.

I suspect we'll still be "bargain hunting" in January and next summer.

Barkley should be here in January. Max Meyer's contract runs out next summer.

I'm sure there are more names i'm forgetting, but that's the type of player we'll be targeting.

Poch must have really wanted Sanchez. Not really a typical Levy signing.
IMO Sanchez was a double benefit: strengthening our back three while also allowing Dier to play more in his (apparently preferred) CDM position.

So the price of Davinson was not just on the player himself but also in keeping Eric sweet (and perhaps in turn keeping Dele sweet...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom