Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I we were to splash the cash I'd rather we looked at the likes of Pjanic, Pereyra or Nainggolan
Pjanic, Strootman and Pereyra are beyond our reach and don't rate Nainggolan. DLP are the most endangered species in football these days.

The best currently available DLP that we can realistically get are Ozyakup, Xhaka, Adrien Silva and Parejo. We have also been linked with all of them in the last 2 years.

Pjanic, Strootman and Pereyra are beyond our reach and don't rate Nainggolan. DLP are the most endangered species in football these days.

The best currently available DLP that we can realistically get are Ozyakup, Xhaka, Adrien Silva and Parejo. We have also been linked with all of them in the last 2 years.
Xhaka would be incredible, but I think a player in the mold of Pjanic or Pereyra would suit us better

Alli is actually not very good at playmaking and dictating the tempo of the game. He's allrounder B2B with good eye for a goal.
Oh, didn't imply that - was just commenting on the making-something-out-of-nothing idea.

I don't think Eriksen is too good at dictating either, tbh, he knows one way and that's forward.

Agree, we need a defensive midfielder of a different sort than Dier, someone who has the intelligence to control the game according to events on the pitch.

Might ruffle a few feathers here, but if when we qualify for the CL, I wouldn't mind taking Carrick for a season on a free, if we fail to get superior choices.

What's a DLP?

Bit harsh on Clinton, he's played about 5 games off the bench for us before getting injured and been very good in at least 2 or 3 of those, not to mention the Monaco game where he started and was outstanding.

I've said on here before how impressed I was with the potential of N'jie when he played. Some here predicted he was a speed donkey when we signed him but his close skills are very impressive and he strikes a ball real clean - and add that pace I think he could be a very important player for us next year.

:pochfacepalm:
Henderson is awful and wouldn't get into our U16's side - but I would pay a world record fee for him just for the sheer hilarity at the victims' expense.

Plus we wouldn't have to worry about handing them all that money, because they almost certainly would waste it all on Southampton players.

I'm surprised The Dane isn't all over this thread.

'' Some people writing Henderson off and he hasn't even played a minute in a Spurs shirt :pochfacepalm: ''

I think this season has shown us that we have an excellent starting eleven, but that the collective can quickly fall apart if certain players are missing. Proper back up for Kane is the obvious one. Would also like at least one quality central midfielder. When Dier/Dembele are not playing we look very weak. Someone strong who can dictate play would be great.

I know Bentaleb is very young, but Poch seems to have given up on him a bit. Might be an idea to loan him out next season, to see if he can get back on track. Mason is full of passion but not so hot when it comes to ability. Carroll should only play AM I think, as he doesn't have the physical presence to control the central midfield. Selling either one wouldn't break my heart. Ok, Mason a little bit..

There was talk last summer about Axel Witsel. Haven't seen him play much, but going on reputation I think that's the type of player that could improve us.

To the contrary, I think this season has shown us that everyone of us knows fuck all. Who saw Alli coming into the PL this strongly, or Dier when all of us were screaming bloody murder when we didn't sign a DMC.

Doesn't mean we cannot discuss the pros and cons of our current squad, and what it means in terms of who and for which positions we should buy, but end of the day we know fuck all compared to Poch and his team who sees the lads train day in and day out.

Wouldn't say we look very weak without Dier and Dembele, but we do look weaker (obviously). Whether that means we need reinforcements there, I wouldn't say with any kind of certainty. The case of Dier and with Alli setting the world on fire after being given minutes sparingly at the start of the season - which people tend to forget - tells me that only Poch knows whether Carroll getting minutes means that Poch is seeing a star in the making or whether we need to upgrade in the summer, and whether Bentaleb needed a kick up the arse or is done for.

As for Witsel. We've just gotten our squad ridden of mercenaries. I know money rules the world, and there might be more to a specific situation, but as a rule I would rather not sign someone who's moved to Russia in a big money deal. It speaks volumes about their thoughts on ambition on the field vs their bank account. Like I said, there might be more to the specific case, does our Belgian contigent know something about the (strange) move?

Depends whether Zlatan comes or not. 43% chance.
If we did win the league, or even come second, we would be a very attractive opportunity for a lot of players. They might suddenly want us, but would we want them?

I don't want a bunch of prima donna mercenary galacticos to be honest. Zlatan is an odd case though.

Mercenary: Not sure, he has been picky where he goes but definitely wants to get top dollar.
Galactico: yes
Prima donna: Kind of, but he is actually a team kind of guy in his way.

Downside ... he comes with Maxwell attached, who follows him around like a pet.

If we did win the league, or even come second, we would be a very attractive opportunity for a lot of players. They might suddenly want us, but would we want them?

I don't want a bunch of prima donna mercenary galacticos to be honest. Zlatan is an odd case though.

Mercenary: Not sure, he has been picky where he goes but definitely wants to get top dollar.
Galactico: yes
Prima donna: Kind of, but he is actually a team kind of guy in his way.

Downside ... he comes with Maxwell attached, who follows him around like a pet.
Actually a very good story about him and Maxwell

We need some kind of central midfield pair to rotate with Dier-Dembele. I suppose the home grown option is Ball-Bentaleb, or maybe even Ball-Winks, and perhaps that's what Pochettino has on the backburner. But we probably need someone more mature in the holding role, and I don't know who we would go for.

Other than that issue, and a striker, I think we can probably be fine with what we have. We'll sell a couple of midfielders this summer, to make space/playing time, and beyond that I don't see us doing anything. We're not going to be spending a lot, and at this point if we don't accep that, we never will, but this team needs only incremental improvement, not radical surgery.

Back
Top Bottom