Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

'Man of the match - Moussa Sissoko (Newcastle)
The Newcastle skipper was a phenomenal force in midfield - he provided an assist, won the penalty and could have scored two more'
A quote from the match report on BBC web page for Newcastle's last match of the season when they beat us in a match that had no meaning to them.

You mean when he was playing for a move away

Then why wait until the end of the window? Everyone knew he was available for £30M as soon as the Euros finished

Because nobody else was going to bid 30M and we were willing to wait on Newcastle to have to lower the price once that became clear. Once Everton hit the 30M at the last minute we lost bargaining power and had to match.

Newcastle gambled that someone else would come in with a solid offer, we gambled they wouldn't.

Because nobody else was going to bid 30M and we were willing to wait on Newcastle to have to lower the price once that became clear. Once Everton hit the 30M at the last minute we lost bargaining power and had to match.

Newcastle gambled that someone else would come in with a solid offer, we gambled they wouldn't.

If the manager thinks he's worth £30M surely it would've been better to have him for the first 3 games than fucking around trying to save 5 odd million thoigh

You mean when he was playing for a move away
Our first offer was, allegedly, £16m. I'm guessing Levy thought he could save much more than £5m.
Real Madrid, Internazionale, Juventus, Borussia Dortmund, Everton, Crystal Palace and West Brom were also apparently interested at start of summer along with us but none went over £15m when they wanted £35m for him.
£15 -20m is about right.

The obviously didn't want him out the door that much.

Did anyone predict Lamela evolving into the essential type of player that he is for our system? Or that Dembele would ever find his correct position let alone become our "first name on the sheet" player.

What about seeing the immediate impact Dier would have being moved to DM? Or that Alli would break into the first team in his first season in such spectacular fashion.

What about Rose and Walker establishing themselves as first choice England full backs. Or Wimmer making us question whether Vertonghan should be getting back into the team after his injury.

No... Me neither. Wash the sand out your fannies and have some faith in the manager and stop writing off a player before he's even kicked a ball for us, let alone had a season to settle in and show us what he can really do.

He's wasn't the first name on any of our lists but he's who we've got.

Last edited:
Did anyone see Lamela evolving into the essential type of player that he is for our system? Or that Dembele would ever find his correct position let alone becoming our "first name on the sheet" player.

What about seeing the immediate impact Dier would have being moved to DM? Or that Ali would break into the first team in his first season in spectacular fashion.

What about Rose and Walker being the two established starting England full backs. Or Wimmer making us question whether Vertonghan should be getting back into the team after his injury.

No... Me neither. Wash the sand out your fannies and have some faith in the manager and stop writing off a player before he's even kicked a ball for us, let alone had a season to settle in and show us what he can really do.

He's wasn't the first name on any of our lists but he's who we've got.

None of those players spent a year sulking in a relegated team , none of those players had the selling clubs fans rejoicing when he left , most of those players were youngsters that were bought to develop , hardly the same criteria of signing.

I think we've signed a pup.

firstly thanks for the entertainment folks, been on hols for the last couple of weeks and the daily updates were strangely enjoyable.

I'm not Gibbs so can't claim to have 'called' anything and below are my assumptions as like most I have no clue as to the real motivations and workings behind the scenes.

------------------------------

I think Poch said he wanted two positions filled early and V&V did this. If we're honest these were the positions most of us were concerned with so big Big Tick for sorting early (as they promised) and we're all (except a few) pretty happy with the players and price paid.

I expect there was an 'if possible' list which included a quick player and someone to run at defences. For some reason Clint wasn't seen as the man, perhaps it was lack of skill, injury, no desire or homesick – who knows but he has gone so we have to believe the replacement is seen as an upgrade... Time will tell

Next is someone to run at defences - we think there were better players to be had for less price but we are where we are. I think part of the motivation behind this is Levy saying to Poch "Newcastle owe us £17m for Andros and Yedlin so is there anyone you fancy from their squad?"

Levy got the team to run the figures on proposed players based on:

- Fee
- Wages
- Exposure
- Shirt sales
- Resale
- Image rights
- Plus Many other factors we're not aware of

And this returned a top value to be paid. He then said to Newcastle, forget the balance due on players purchased, we'll give you 5m as a down payment and £2.5m over the next four years. For Newcastle this was easy business and simplified everything. Less out-goings, payment timing issues etc. just profit due in.
So a fee was agreed and we have our player.

Next is the CE debate.

"Get him competition" - see above
"Pay him more"
"Pay them all more we're in the CL FFS"

Running a business I have to forecast as i'm sure many of you do. Levy will have a massive projection on spend for facilities, money in/out and I expect there is a column on 'Wages' that has an upper cap. So how do we pay top players more without going over – simple we shift players that enable us to pay the rest more, either by selling or on loan. Personally i'm happy to adjust wages and share the wealth to players we want to keep playing at the Lane. We can't just spend more when we have to finance everything else – TV money regardless, for Spurs it's the next 18months of BIG invoices...

At the end of this Levy's balance sheet and spreadsheet will be as it needs to be, the stadium will get built, players will get improved contracts and hopefully we'll have a good season. The next couple of windows will probably go the same way. I will however, like most lose my patience if we continue this process post stadium opening, naming rights & kit sponsor deal being agreed.

I know a by-product of all this is a very good club, huge fan-base with a healthy spreadsheet that will enable ENIC a top price for a sale – if they desire but we're heading that way and by having a club worth £1.5B we're less likely yo get a 'Mike Ashley' type person buying us. I guess the inevitable outcome is a buyout from a big conglomerate – is this better? Who knows? But I would rather someone buy us for £1.5b than 50p because we are fooked and they think they can rape us for a quick buck.

For Better or Worse.

Do you have any sources for these claims that he thinks he's better than us? He'd have to be a real delusional piece of shit to think he's better than a club in the champions league which was competing for the title last year. As I said I think a lot of the bad attitude claims are just social media guff unless you're willing to provide some quotes from sissoko which prove otherwise.
I don't know - he really wanted to join Woolwich, so was clearly willing to play for a worse club.
:ap:

I must say I feel much better about the transfer window after getting Sissoko. We now have adequate depth and cover in midfield. With Dembele's injury history there was a real concern there. Well done Levy getting it over the line.

Back
Top Bottom