Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It was because of that lack of alternative that Kane was afforded the time to find his feet. If we had an alternative, he may have been dropped and we wouldn't have had the league's top scorer.

Swings and roundabouts init.

Yes, of course, but are you happy to go into next season with only Harry as a recognised striker? All I'm saying is that it is professional to plan for as many eventualities as possible. A quality striker to back up, or play alongside, is one of those.

Harry can't do it all on his own, every game. We can't afford to coast in the CL group stage like we did in the EL.

But that's my point. Some people are suddenly saying we didn't get away with it, because it cost us the title. Nevermind that these same people said we were doomed and would finish mid-pack or worse at the start of September.

Was taking Charlie Austin, who couldn't do anything that we wanted from a striker, but was available, a more right decision? Pochettino drew a line in the sand, and we went with it. I think it was more right than compromising on the players he wanted. We can agree to disagree on that.

No, some people are saying there might have been a different outcome. You and I have absolutely no idea. Btw, I predicted we'd finish 3rd, but that's because I'm an optimist. Poch not willing to compromise wouldn't have looked too clever if Kane had been seriously injured in Sept.

Last edited:
I just feel like everyone else is making progress with transfers and we've had no serious links with anyone that would be worth our time so far.

Take a deep breath, stay away from Twitter and sporting sites regurgitating the same news for 3 weeks straight, and enjoy your summer. The window is open for a long time. We will be okay.

It might have meant that Kane continued to struggle for form by feeling more pressure / not getting the games to play back into form and the team end up worse off - no way of knowing....but it wasn't a bad season

We had a poor start and a poor finish but still a superb season!

:pochsmirk:

We're now being linked with Dutch AZ Alkmaar striker Vincent Janssen. He's scored 27 goals in 34 league games this season (Dutch league mind). Also scored 3 goals in his first 5 caps for his country, already regarded as first striker by coach Danny Blind ahead of the likes of Huntelaar, van Persie, Luuk de Jong and Dost.

Dunno how reliable the Mirror is though, somewhere between Daily Mail and Sky I guess?

Darren Lewis (@MirrorDarren) on Twitter

edit: l8

Last edited:
We're now being linked with Dutch AZ Alkmaar striker Vincent Janssen. He's scored 27 goals in 34 league games this season (Dutch league mind). Also scored 3 goals in his first 5 caps for his country, already regarded as first striker by coach Danny Blind ahead of the likes of Huntelaar, van Persie, Luuk de Jong and Dost.

Dunno how reliable the Mirror is though, somewhere between Daily Mail and Sky I guess?

Darren Lewis (@MirrorDarren) on Twitter

edit: l8

The boy looks a real player and certainly knows how to finish. The sort of player I'd like to see at Spurs and hopefully developing into a World class player in a World class partnership.

I just feel like everyone else is making progress with transfers and we've had no serious links with anyone that would be worth our time so far.
We already needed players if we wanted to win the league next season but now we need players just to compete with everyone else.
It is very difficult to say what positions need strengthening though. I would be extremely interested in james rodriguez but I think our chances of getting him are very slim so someone who is more of an unknown such as Batshuayi perhaps or lacazette?
(unknown being on a global scale i.e. not everyone knows batshuayi but rodriguez is know around the world)
An unknown...like Lacazette?

Do you live on the moon?

That's Lacazette with nearly 250 appearances in top level football.

It is also interesting you say that Batshuayi and Lacazette would be your backups to James Rodriguez. How? They play in different positions.

No, some people are saying there might have been a different outcome. You and I have absolutely no idea. Btw, I predicted we'd finish 3rd, but that's because I'm an optimist. Poch not willing to compromise wouldn't have looked too clever if Kane had been seriously injured in Sept.
The injury thing is the winning argument and the reason we should have bought a striker. No question, we would have been screwed.

As frustrating as waiting for signings can be, it's fair enough that players like Batshuayi won't be sorted until after the Euros.

But with Janssen (as Colonel_K Colonel_K mentioned), we don't need to worry about that, and it'd be fantastic to get him in before pre-season so Poch can get to work conditioning him for our team.

Sounds like the perfect 'third' striker to have (and one who can play in place of Kane).

I just wanna sign someone who rips it up straightaway, like Berbatov or VDV. Too much?
Tottenham-vs-Manchester-City.jpg

...at your cervix.

Man I miss VDV.

As frustrating as waiting for signings can be, it's fair enough that players like Batshuayi won't be sorted until after the Euros.

But with Janssen (as Colonel_K Colonel_K mentioned), we don't need to worry about that, and it'd be fantastic to get him in before pre-season so Poch can get to work conditioning him for our team.

Sounds like the perfect 'third' striker to have (and one who can play in place of Kane).
With the Euros, and Son, Lamela and Eriksen most likely off to the Olympics, pre-season is basically Chadli, N'Jie and the youth team. Not sure how much work Poch can do to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom