Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Indeed, and you can argue to your heart's content over past regimes. The point is that the claims that not buying a striker was our doom turned out to be incorrect, and we didn't lose a title because we couldn't sign the one we wanted. We could also have a long talk about probability and the randomness of events in sport, but that would involve both math and a willingness to get off narrative high horses.

Had we had a decent alternative when Kane was firing blanks at the start of the season who knows what might have happened? No, it wasn't our doom, but it wasn't sensible either. We winged it to a certain extent.

Pretty sure the Vazquez rumour is bullshit, if he is meant to be included in the first team. And I dont think Levy is going to spend 25m on a high quality squad player, even though he could be a interesting type of player. A creative AM, but a bit different to Eriksen.

Had we had a decent alternative when Kane was firing blanks at the start of the season who knows what might have happened? No, it wasn't our doom, but it wasn't sensible either. We winged it to a certain extent.

It might have meant that Kane continued to struggle for form by feeling more pressure / not getting the games to play back into form and the team end up worse off - no way of knowing....but it wasn't a bad season

So, let's say we had got Berahino -- the only target we lost out on -- then dropped Kane 4 games in, after the Everton 0-0, because he wasn't scoring. The argument is we would have gone on to have a better season with Kane on the bench? Or Kane would somehow have found his form without playing games?

They finally have a manager willing to actually make the club his own and not continue to use a squad full of old aging players that won them their first Premier League trophy 5 years ago. They are a threat to our title hopes.

If they manage to sign Aubameyang and a solid centre half then they could seriously walk this league.

Well Man City mean business this summer...

Aubemayang and Aguerro together up front ...
20150714.jpg

It might have meant that Kane continued to struggle for form by feeling more pressure / not getting the games to play back into form and the team end up worse off - no way of knowing....but it wasn't a bad season

No, of course it wasn't. And yes there's no way of knowing.

So, let's say we had got Berahino -- the only target we lost out on -- then dropped Kane 4 games in, after the Everton 0-0, because he wasn't scoring. The argument is we would have gone on to have a better season with Kane on the bench? Or Kane would somehow have found his form without playing games?

Who knows? It's all conjecture. It did seem ill advised at the time to go with one striker. Just because it panned out doesn't mean it was the right thing to do. I remember there was a pretty big fuss at the time.

We winged it because Pochettino wouldn't take compromises, but at the same time, looking back at those four matches and saying "we lost because Kane was firing blanks/we didn't score" is a bit of confirmation bias. Shit happens all the time in football. We drew with West Brom after hitting the post 3 fucking times. Soton beat us after scoring on their only 2 goddamn shots on target, and one of those deflected off Mason's boot. Do those things happen every time? No, and there's nothing we can do about them. They are events that happened, just like at other times things went right for us (like two off-side goals against City).

The only thing a team has control over is the process. How we play. How we create chances or take them away from the other team is something repeatable. Measuring the process, we deserved a lot more points over the first four and last four games of the season, and in most universes would have gotten them. Just not this one.

We didn't finish third because we didn't sign another striker. We did finish third because we were inconsistent at times in our process, and were unlucky at others. But we didn't suffer from a lack of a striker at any point this year.

If they manage to sign Aubameyang and a solid centre half then they could seriously walk this league.
I heard links with Stones and Laporte. I just think Stones would be a big over payment and Laporte is still very young, inexperienced, will be very very pricey and will be coming back from a horrific injury.

Amazing that they don't just go out and buy some proven footballer like a Godin at centre half.

The scattergun approach that addressed a partner for Vertonghen in Toby Alderweireld.

The scattergun approach that addressed the CB depth issue by purchasing Kevin Wimmer.

The scattergun approach that addressed our lack of full back depth in Ben Davies and Kieran Trippier.

The scattergun approach that addressed our forward depth in Heung Min-Son and Clinton N'Jie.

The scattergun approach you're clutching to like a wilting branch in the wind is about the Bale money and we've moved so far past that. You're just using it moan.

Yes, we needed a second striker and we failed, but to use one failed pursuit to back up your flimsy point is transparent and we all see it.

Does the imminent signing of Batshuayi seem scattergun, or the pursuit of Lacazette? Or does that look like someone seeing a hole in our squad and addressing it?

No, not loads of people will agree with you but not say it. When has anyone on this board been afraid to say anything?! It's why this board smashes the granny out of all the other mollycoddled forums.

The transfer window isn't even open.

Fuck sake.
dpfy.gif

It was because of that lack of alternative that Kane was afforded the time to find his feet. If we had an alternative, he may have been dropped and we wouldn't have had the league's top scorer.

Swings and roundabouts init.

yes and saying "we lost because Kane was firing blanks/we didn't score" is a bit of confirmation bias.

I didn't say that. I simply questioned the decision. Don't quote about hitting the post - did nobody hit our woodwork? Don't quote about shots on target - I know what happened. Just because we got away with it doesn't mean it was necessarily the right decision.

I heard links with Stones and Laporte. I just think Stones would be a big over payment and Laporte is still very young, inexperienced, will be very very pricey and will be coming back from a horrific injury.

Amazing that they don't just go out and buy some proven footballer like a Godin at centre half.

I wouldn't be surprised if he sacked off Kompany and bought in a Godin, Pique or Silva to strengthen.

Just hope he keeps his eyes of Toby.

I think the problem is that there are centrebacks, and Pep Guardiola-acceptable centrebacks.

Those two things are not the same. That said, who knows what Franken-monster Guardiola is going to try and assemble at City. His Bayern was very much not a copy of what he did at Barcelona.

I didn't say that. I simply questioned the decision. Don't quote about hitting the post - did nobody hit our woodwork? Don't quote about shots on target - I know what happened. Just because we got away with it doesn't mean it was necessarily the right decision.
But that's my point. Some people are suddenly saying we didn't get away with it, because it cost us the title. Nevermind that these same people said we were doomed and would finish mid-pack or worse at the start of September.

Was taking Charlie Austin, who couldn't do anything that we wanted from a striker, but was available, a more right decision? Pochettino drew a line in the sand, and we went with it. I think it was more right than compromising on the players he wanted. We can agree to disagree on that.

Back
Top Bottom