Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Some predictable responses seemingly forgetting our lack of tranafer activity in the forward aress arguably cost us the title.

So with Koeman leaving Southampton does he go with a return and raid veto or has he got a couple of players lined up as targets?

What was already going to be a difficult Premier League just got that bit harder in my opinion. A good manager who unlike Benitez is not given to hyperbole and will demand better from his players.

We may be looking at players but for me we do too much window shopping only to offer cost price and get rejected or outbid.

I repeat you would have thought that being in London and the Champions League would elevate us in terms of appeal. Much of that advantage is neutralised however by Levy's reputation and reluctance to pay the going rate.
That's an interesting narrative you spin, but it does not match either the events of last season, or our current situation.

Our lack of activity in the forward area cost us the title? Hardly. We lost due to coming up a little short in terms of consistency, and then losing key (non-striker) players through suspension at the end of the season.

Now, you can spin that as us losing a title if you'd like, but given everyone was screaming about our impending doom in August since we didn't have another striker, it's both revisionist, and ignoring the actual events of the season.

Very few of the players we likely want are able to sign until after the Euros, since they're playing at them. Given that, how exactly are we supposed to magically recruit someone overnight to satisfy your paranoia and impatience?

Watching that video, I have to wonder if Pochettino feels our dribbling around the final third was our weakness this year? Or is the dribbling a sign that he wants to move him deeper sometimes as the Dembele back-up?

Vasquez in that Youtube video definitely reminds me of Dembele when it comes to dribbling. The guy looks an outstanding prospect.

I do seem to remember Palermo president of past confirmed we had signed Kjaer and Cavani once though, so wouldnt believe him.

Last year many were tragic fucking melts like you as well. Last year everyone was predicting that by not signing Schneiderlin and Berahino we would finish 7th or 8th.
I was probably one of your melts. The thing is though for some of us finishing 3rd only makes it even more frustrating that Levy has such short arms and deep pockets. Had we spent just a fraction of what our rivals dished out things could have been so much better. Let's not gloss over the facts. We won fuck all, again. We finished below our arch rivals, again.We were nowhere near in Europe or the domestic cups. When the business end of the season came up, we capitulated, again. We failed to win any of our opening 4 games, with no alternative to support an out of form Harry Kane. And we didn't win any of our last 4 games when a few injuries/suspensions kicked in. In my opinion, Poch's genius papered over Levy's incompetence

Vasquez in that Youtube video definitely reminds me of Dembele when it comes to dribbling. The guy looks an outstanding prospect.

I do seem to remember Palermo president of past confirmed we had signed Kjaer and Cavani once though, so wouldnt believe him.

PROSPECT? He's 27

oldman4.gif

I was probably one of your melts. The thing is though for some of us finishing 3rd only makes it even more frustrating that Levy has such short arms and deep pockets. Had we spent just a fraction of what our rivals dished out things could have been so much better. Let's not gloss over the facts. We won fuck all, again. We finished below our arch rivals, again.We were nowhere near in Europe or the domestic cups. When the business end of the season came up, we capitulated, again. We failed to win any of our opening 4 games, with no alternative to support an out of form Harry Kane. And we didn't win any of our last 4 games when a few injuries/suspensions kicked in. In my opinion, Poch's genius papered over Levy's incompetence
And the tune never changes.

Neither does our trophy cabinet
Indeed, and you can argue to your heart's content over past regimes. The point is that the claims that not buying a striker was our doom turned out to be incorrect, and we didn't lose a title because we couldn't sign the one we wanted. We could also have a long talk about probability and the randomness of events in sport, but that would involve both math and a willingness to get off narrative high horses.

Back
Top Bottom