Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
A transfer window so far that smells of a team now with approval to build a stadium, probably why we chose Poch too, he will work with what we got, Frank probably wanted a couple of big players in. I think we have enough if we kept same and just bought a left back

Maybe but i can't believe that poch signed on with the knowledge that he wasnt gonna have much money to spend.

Maybe but i can't believe that poch signed on with the knowledge that he wasnt gonna have much money to spend.

Yeah of course Poch will want things his way but I mean in comparison to Frank who has bigger reputation, may have wanted a fair bit of cash, and would bring a hefty entourage with him and a bigger payoff to Ajax

Don't agree on carroll, would like to see him getting a chance. Ade can leave, if we are able to replace him. The rest can leave imo.

If he were to sell all of those players, we'd be running dangerously low on HG's. From that list I'd like to see Naughton go and replaced by Fredericks, Rose go if we get a decent offer and have another option lined up to compete with Davies, Benny go just for obvious reasons, Dawson go because he's too slow and if we can bring in another HG backup such as Lascelles, and Siggy go because he isn't good enough at CAM and we desperately need a genuine left winger.

I don't "want" to see Carroll go per se, but I think his chances of seeing time are quite bleak now due to the rise of Bentaleb.

Last edited:
I don't understand the rush to ship out Rose and Carroll or even Naughton. Rose would be one of the best back up LBs in the league and Naughton is totally capable being a RB backup and doesn't seem to mind the role. These are cheap relatively young players who can serve as capable backups while qualifying as home grown. Need I mention how expensive it will be to replace them with other home grown talent.

Also, I keep hearing how Pochettino is going to fix our players. Why can't he fix Naughton and Rose? I think they both have redeemable footballing qualities. Maybe with the proper coaching they could develop even further. Pochettino had a bevy of young fullback talent at Southampton. Plus, our academy is supposedly at its height in regards to talent. Wouldn't it be smarter to maintain homegrown placeholders until those kids make the first team than feel pressure to buy home grown qualified players? Then we won't have to feel concerned about the HG number and we'll only have to buy players that we really like for a value the club is willing to pay.

I don't understand the rush to ship out Rose and Carroll or even Naughton. Rose would be one of the best back up LBs in the league and Naughton is totally capable being a RB backup and doesn't seem to mind the role. These are cheap relatively young players who can serve as capable backups while qualifying as home grown. Need I mention how expensive it will be to replace them with other home grown talent.

Also, I keep hearing how Pochettino is going to fix our players. Why can't he fix Naughton and Rose? I think they both have redeemable footballing qualities. Maybe with the proper coaching they could develop even further. Pochettino had a bevy of young fullback talent at Southampton. Plus, our academy is supposedly at its height in regards to talent. Wouldn't it be smarter to maintain homegrown placeholders until those kids make the first team than feel pressure to buy home grown qualified players? Then we won't have to feel concerned about the HG number and we'll only have to buy players that we really like for a value the club is willing to pay.

I agree on the Poch "fixing players." It seems the double-standard has continued with people hoping AVB's acquisitions will somehow click under this new coach, even when there is no specific compatibility in their game play with Poch's system, but don't extend that to the English players whose abilities are oft-questioned.

That having been said, some specifics pertaining to each of those players have to be mentioned in considering why each may be moved on.

As for Rose, he may refuse to play second fiddle. I don't mind us keeping him, as despite his shortcomings he does actually possess qualities that are in line with how Poch likes to play his wingbacks. However, if his departure means getting Davies (HG replacement) and finding a cheap option from abroad (Murru) then I'd take that option without a second thought.

As for Naughton, it's directly due to his age. He's a solid squad player without doubt, but at his age his value only decreases if he isn't first choice. He's also at a point at which he rightfully should want more, and he made quotes midseason that suggested this. As for a replacement, my ideal one is in line with your thinking in replacing him with one of our own academy players. I think Fredericks would do a more than suitable job as backup to Walker, the funds from selling Naughton would of course be beneficial to reinvest elsewhere, and it's at a point at which it's time for him to seek better chances at playing time elsewhere and deservedly so.

As for Carroll, it's time for a Prem loan or he's moved on. He's 22 now, no longer a genuine prospective youth player and especially when we have a more promising 19 year old with a more complete game at the same position, that will also register as homegrown when he comes of age. Unless Poch plans to strictly play Holtby as rotation for Eriksen, and Bentaleb were to go on loan and one of Dembele or Paulinho are sold, I don't see much opportunity for Carroll. IMO, that's a less favorable outcome than Carroll simply going on loan or departing.

have you maybe heard of sarcasm ?
PS - i think your right :adeohshit:

I get you were joking, but he's often used that same accusation after I've defended myself from massively misinterpreted and overblown accusations, so I apologize for not being very receptive to your joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom