Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depay would be such a good signing I feel, but Levy would have to shell out quite a lot. We do still have quite a lot of players to offload so it's a (slight) possibility. I think MS and a player like Remy or Destro is more of a luxury, unless we are to offload Soldado in which case we do need another option upfront for sure.

My biggest worry is that Schneiderlin will be sold to either Woolwich or ManU instead of staying in Saints or being sold to us. Has happened before that our big longtime target goes to a richer club. Would punch somebody if that happened.

I think considering we are gonna sell quite a few players we should be prepared to pay top money just to get that extra bit of quality. If we sell 6-7 players for £50-60 mil then why not shell out for Depay, Schneiderlin, Remy and Musacchio if Poch feel these players will take us to the next level and give us a chance at top 4.

The updated first team squad on spurs website:

Goalkeepers:
Lloris, Vorm, Friedel

Full Backs:
Walker, Naughton, Rose, Davies, BAE

Center Backs:
Vertonghen, Kaboul, Chirches, Dawson, Dier, Fryers

Midfielders:
Capoue, Sandro, Bentaleb, Paulinho, Dembele, Carroll, Mason

Attacking Midfielders/Wingers:
Holtby, Eriksen, Lamela, Lennon, Townsend, Chadli

Strikers:
Soldado, Adebayor, Kane

30 Players listed. Can safely assume BAE leaving or wont be listed in the squad, his photo is not even updated with the new kit. That leaves 29. If Pochettino is aiming to get the number down to 25 thats 4 more to sell/loan or leave to play with reserves before we even think about signing anyone else. I think Fryers, Carroll and Mason could do with PL loans. 26 remain, I think we need to sell a midfielder, either Paulinho or Dembele as I think we need to keep 2 holding midfielders. I think I would rather Dembele stayed and given a role further up the pitch than he has under Sherwood/AVB. Thats the 25 man squad before transfers if I was in charge.

I think if we sign a CB like Musacchio, I would rather see Chiriches go than Dawson. Chiriches could do with a PL loan as he is still reasonably young. Then next summer think about Dawson and/or Kaboul leaving to make way for Dier and Chiriches to step in.

If we are to sign Schneiderlin then another midfielder needs to be sold or loaned.

In January window think about signing Jay Rodriguez and/or a striker depending on Soldado and Kane because of Adebayor going to Africa Cup of Nations.

The updated first team squad on spurs website:

Goalkeepers:
Lloris, Vorm, Friedel

Full Backs:
Walker, Naughton, Rose, Davies, BAE

Center Backs:
Vertonghen, Kaboul, Chirches, Dawson, Dier, Fryers

Midfielders:
Capoue, Sandro, Bentaleb, Paulinho, Dembele, Carroll, Mason

Attacking Midfielders/Wingers:
Holtby, Eriksen, Lamela, Lennon, Townsend, Chadli

Strikers:
Soldado, Adebayor, Kane

30 Players listed. Can safely assume BAE leaving or wont be listed in the squad, his photo is not even updated with the new kit. That leaves 29. If Pochettino is aiming to get the number down to 25 thats 4 more to sell/loan or leave to play with reserves before we even think about signing anyone else. I think Fryers, Carroll and Mason could do with PL loans. 26 remain, I think we need to sell a midfielder, either Paulinho or Dembele as I think we need to keep 2 holding midfielders. I think I would rather Dembele stayed and given a role further up the pitch than he has under Sherwood/AVB. Thats the 25 man squad before transfers if I was in charge.

I think if we sign a CB like Musacchio, I would rather see Chiriches go than Dawson. Chiriches could do with a PL loan as he is still reasonably young. Then next summer think about Dawson and/or Kaboul leaving to make way for Dier and Chiriches to step in.

If we are to sign Schneiderlin then another midfielder needs to be sold or loaned.

In January window think about signing Jay Rodriguez and/or a striker depending on Soldado and Kane because of Adebayor going to Africa Cup of Nations.

Several of those players are eligible for the U21s so don't count towards the 25.
(Dier, Bentaleb, possibly Carroll Kane and Mason too.)

Depay ain't coming our way. Hot property round Europe even amongst elite teams in CL.

I do not disagree with the rest you say, but regarding Dapay, he might equally go to a club like Spurs as to a elite team in CL. Why? because he is young and needs to play games on a regular basis. At Spurs he would "only" need to compete with the likes of Chadli... In Real Madrid, Bayern München, etc. it would be a completely different saga. For that reason, it would be smart of him to go to a club like Spurs (or stay in Holland)

Do I think he will play for us the next season? Probably not

Several of those players are eligible for the U21s so don't count towards the 25.
(Dier, Bentaleb, possibly Carroll Kane and Mason too.)
I probably should have said, ignoring the U21 rule etc just talking in terms of 25 players who will play with the first time this coming year. I think Dier and Bentaleb will be playing with the first team all season so theres no point keeping a senior player like Paulinho just because we can.

Quite a few articles on us being favourites for Remy, for me he would be our most important signing, I really want an out and out powerful strikers with a one in two strike rate like him. Depay would also be great and if possible keep Chriches and thats me happy.

Tottenham to Trigger £10m Release Clause to Sign Loic Remy: Hope to Field QPR Man On Sunday | CaughtOffside.com

TRANSFER NEWS: Spurs favourites for Remy, United step up Rojo efforts, Cech loses battle | Football | Sport | Daily Express

I'm unsure why anyone would consider our only need to be a CB when we are desperate for another striker.

Right now, getting rid of Chadli, Dawson, Naughton and bringing in Remy and Nastasic would represent a decent window. If we could get Schneiderlin it would mean two midfielders leaving (I think, to both fund and for space), and if two are leaving, it is likely to be Holtby and Sandro - of which neither should be flogged.

I'm unsure why anyone would consider our only need to be a CB when we are desperate for another striker.

Right now, getting rid of Chadli, Dawson, Naughton and bringing in Remy and Nastasic would represent a decent window. If we could get Schneiderlin it would mean two midfielders leaving (I think, to both fund and for space), and if two are leaving, it is likely to be Holtby and Sandro - of which neither should be flogged.

Right about the forward line, not sure Soldado can cut it and don't to waste another season trying, Ade is hot and cold and while Kane looks a great prospect I think we need more experience, Remy would be ideal.

Something like this would be dreamy. 4 players in . 8 out is not happening though:

In

Remy
Schneiderlin
Mustache
Depay

Out

Paulinho
Chadli
Dawson
Soldado
Carroll
Ekotto
Mason
Khumalo

I am not pro Soldado leaving, however I would imagine he would if we were to bring another striker in.

J-Rod in January.

A man can dream.

Need another striker? We have 3 strikers who can score given the right motivation and supply. There isn't a striker that we could buy for a reasonable amount that would be much better than what we have. In all honesty I think Ade is utter gash, but I like Kane and Soldado - and we only play 1 up top so why do we need more?

Need another striker? We have 3 strikers who can score given the right motivation and supply. There isn't a striker that we could buy for a reasonable amount that would be much better than what we have. In all honesty I think Ade is utter gash, but I like Kane and Soldado - and we only play 1 up top so why do we need more?

Wait, so Ade who was our top scorer and saved our asses many times is gash, but Kane and Soldado are just fine? Okay. Look, I'm not giving up on any of them and last year was a shitty year for most of the team, but yes we do need another striker.

Kane had a total of 9 PL appearances last year, and although I think he's looked very promising at times, I'm not ready to put all my eggs in the Kane basket.

Ade has tremendous skill, was our top scorer last year even though he only played 1/2 the season, has loads of experience, but I do question his motivation (or lack of it) and he just tends to disappear at times when it appears that he just doesn't want to.

Soldado, well, I'm hoping for a big year from him (if he stays) but it looks increasingly more like he is being pushed off that lead position and there are rumors a plenty that he is on the way out. Last year was last year but he couldn't hit the side of a barn last year if he needed to at times. If he hits another rough patch again, do we honestly have enough faith in him that he can pull out of it this time?

We need another striker. LB was most important and I'd like to see a strong addition to our CB's, but we could use some help up front.

I think you can expect to see two up top a few times this season, particularly at home. And whilst Kane might well have a good season, do you truly see him scoring enough goals to see us compete on hopefully four fronts.

There is a reason why teams like Chelsea and Woolwich failed to keep pace last season, injury and lack of options. We have had two years, longer in fact, with lack of options up front....and you're neglecting to mention that Adebayor is unavailable for what is likely to be all of January and a portion of February, too.

Another striker is a reasonable suggestion.

Taking the last 15,000 minutes of football for Remy, Soldado and Adebayor we have:

Soldado - 1 goal every 149m
Adebayor - 1 goal every 173m
Remy - 1 goal every 191m

Obviously Soldado struggled in his first season at Spurs but I'm still struggling to understand why Remy is anything other than a 'flavour of the month' striker.

When you look at the players we didn't go in for, Lukaku's 1 every 153m screams out as a missed opportunity even if it's unlikely Chelsea would have sold to us. Bony has the best record at 1 every 134 minutes but many of his goals were scored in the Dutch league which is notorious for 'open' defending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom