Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really. We dont need that much, and Poch has said he's happy with the squad as opposed to "we are looking at certain areas etc"

Spurs are always linked with players.....it doesnt make it more likely to happen, the more you want the player though.

He's also said:

“We have a long, long squad,” Pochettino said. "I think we need to take a decision now to decide how many players to keep, because we have more than 25. For me, too many players. My idea is 25. No more than 25. We need to decide now, after our tour in America, and start to work here and decide our squad for the future.”

So who knows?

And also:

"We will loan out some of our younger players to help further their development. Several of our players are under 21 so we don’t envisage a problem meeting the Premier League’s squad limit of 25.”

Who else would you propose at striker? Ideally I'd love Bony, but he presents the problem of also leaving for the ACoN, and doesn't provide the advantage of cover on the wings. Otherwise, we're now having to search on the outside and therefore no guarantee for goals. I like Destro for his youth, but he's not guarantee. Same with Martial at Monaco, but he doesn't have as much experience as Destro.

I agree though, striker will become a massive problem as soon as next year if we don't bring in a younger striker now.

Other than Bony, who I agree would be perfect if it weren't for ACoN, I have a few people I've been thinking of. Mind you, this list isn't necessarily going to make sense in terms of current players, but I think has potential going forward.

Young:
Christian Benteke (proven, and with better players would probably do very well)
Stevan Jovetic

Mid:
Jay Rodriguez (if healed and in January)
Loic Remy (but like I said I see him more of a stop gap)

Older:
Stefan Kiessling

Other than Bony, who I agree would be perfect if it weren't for ACoN, I have a few people I've been thinking of. Mind you, this list isn't necessarily going to make sense in terms of current players, but I think has potential going forward.

Young:
Christian Benteke (proven, and with better players would probably do very well)
Stevan Jovetic

Mid:
Jay Rodriguez (if healed and in January)
Loic Remy (but like I said I see him more of a stop gap)

Older:
Stefan Kiessling

I was a huuuuge fan of Benteke, but with the kind of injury he had, there's a damn good reason it's gone entirely quiet in regard to him on the transfer front. He won't be back to his best for quite some time, if he gets anywhere close to it. We have yet to see if Michael Crabtree can get close to his best, and they had the same injury.

I think Jovetic is out of our reach unfortunately.

Agree on Rodriguez come January, and if things are going well.

Kiessling is sick, but I don't think he'll leave Germany at this point, and especially not to leave a CL club.

I was a huuuuge fan of Benteke, but with the kind of injury he had, there's a damn good reason it's gone entirely quiet in regard to him on the transfer front. He won't be back to his best for quite some time, if he gets anywhere close to it. We have yet to see if Michael Crabtree can get close to his best, and they had the same injury.

I think Jovetic is out of our reach unfortunately.

Agree on Rodriguez come January, and if things are going well.

Kiessling is sick, but I don't think he'll leave Germany at this point, and especially not to leave a CL club.

I'll be honest, I had completely forgotten that Benteke was injured.

Kiessling was my reach pick. For many reasons. I can fucking dream though, right? RIGHT?

Stuttgart is fuggin loaded to the brim with fantastic young talent. Kostic, Maxim, Werner... just ridiculous.
I'd love any of the young players from the two Basque clubs. Muniain and Laporte from Bilbao and Inigo Martinez and Ruben Pardo from Sociedad. I think they all are going to be top players. Susaeta and Benat are two other players I'd love from Bilbao.

I'd love any of the young players from the two Basque clubs. Muniain and Laporte from Bilbao and Inigo Martinez and Ruben Pardo from Sociedad. I think they all are going to be top players. Susaeta and Benat are two other players I'd love from Bilbao.

How those clubs manage to perennially produce such top talent and stay towards the top of La Liga despite their "Basque-only" policies is truly remarkable.

How those clubs manage to perennially produce such top talent and stay towards the top of La Liga despite their "Basque-only" policies is truly remarkable.
Its really amazing. Every year some young teenager steps up out of nowhere for Bilbao. I'm sure this year will be no different. I'm pretty sure Sociedad do not stick to the all Basque policy since they'll occasionally have a player like Vela in the squad but they manage to field mostly home grown talent which is still astounding. Griezmann and Vela were such an amazing duo last year.

Im shocked and gutted we didnt sign muniain, I wanted him all summer

He was the perfect levy signing(i.e. one year left on his contract)
He was perfect for Poch(played great under Bielsa system)

Yet no one made a serious offer ffs

Im shocked and gutted we didnt sign muniain, I wanted him all summer

He was the perfect levy signing(i.e. one year left on his contract)
He was perfect for Poch(played great under Bielsa system)

Yet no one made a serious offer ffs
Completely agree. Would've been the perfect player for our left side and will probably become a star someday. Imagine Muniain, Eriksen, and Lamela playing together. All 22 years old or younger.

Its really amazing. Every year some young teenager steps up out of nowhere for Bilbao. I'm sure this year will be no different. I'm pretty sure Sociedad do not stick to the all Basque policy since they'll occasionally have a player like Vela in the squad but they manage to field mostly home grown talent which is still astounding. Griezmann and Vela were such an amazing duo last year.

Looked it up and you're absolutely right, they "heavily prioritize" Basque talent but do not use them strictly as do Athletic. Truly remarkable they have not only managed to survive in the modern game with such a policy (only Spanish club along with Real and Barca to never drop to the 2nd division), but have even managed to succeed in the immediate timing by securing a CL spot for next year. Baffling.

Why is he employed by the club?

They're both club ambassadors; although King is now U18 coach, too.

I would question why we would need to move Friedel on anyway, he's still a great keeper and there's no doubt in my mind that his 25+ years experience of professional football is a big influence around the club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom