Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure why Chriches suddenly seems out the door, he was quite good last season I felt and very quick which suits a high pressing game not to mention we need a CB, we may have to cut our loses with players like Chadli and Soldado but Holtby and Townsend I would want over 10 million at least if we sell them.
Agree. I,m pro Chriches and think he would do well in Poch's high-line. Rumour has it, he allegedly likes a shandy or 3? Adams, Magrath, Ledley etc also allegedly were partial! If he came close to being anything like these players, then I for one could live with it. But if there is the slightest truth in these rumours, then I guess Poch
(understandably) would not view it in that way.

I do not disagree with the rest you say, but regarding Dapay, he might equally go to a club like Spurs as to a elite team in CL. Why? because he is young and needs to play games on a regular basis. At Spurs he would "only" need to compete with the likes of Chadli... In Real Madrid, Bayern München, etc. it would be a completely different saga. For that reason, it would be smart of him to go to a club like Spurs (or stay in Holland)

Do I think he will play for us the next season? Probably not
So we are a stepping stone for him? I'd love to see him at Spurs. But not if he bales out on us (see what I did there) I want to see a team competing to get to the top even if they never get there. Not a team that is just a training ground for Galacticos. Seen enough of that.

Would want £12 million at least for Holtby and between £10-15 for Townsend they are good players and very young as well.
I would want that too mate. And if MS is valued at £27 million by Saints...who knows. But all this talk of butchering a squad that needs a quick trim is leaving me weary. We are not far away from being right in the mix for top 4. If the manager says we need a certain player then Levy should stop being a cunt & do the deal. No more of this 11th hour shite. Why sell if we can loan & see how some of these lads do? I would tell Saints they can have Townsend & £5 million for MS if the gaffer thinks he is the missing link. Job done & the £5 million lost by leaving it to deadline day is recouped (& trebled) with champions league ££££ when we finish 4th or win the Europa- if the chairman trusts the manager he has just employed

Anyone who wants to get rid of Adebayor is nuts. I also can't believe people are writing him off based on the West Ham game. We played with 10 for a good portion of the time he was on the field. As the lone striker obviously he was likely to be isolated. He also did incredibly well to put Collins in the situation where he got a second yellow. Adebayor is held to an unfair standard.

Grey Fox:

"Apparently Baldini is/has been in Italy, may be looking to bring one home, but his prime task is to make some outgoings happen.
MM situation has been called correctly by the Express, in that a deadline of the end of this week has been set or we will move on.
MS my source is less optimistic on, we have put in a larger bid plus player offer, but our player needs convincing and getting complicated. Still some hope, but we are trying to fill in holes Southampton have dug for themselves.
Looks like Levy may have to bite the bullet on values if we are to off load some."

Atlanta yid:

"Nothing new but just to reconfirm what has all ready be posted
So just a snippet my friend is with JL all week so I am pressing hard for a little info
Be patient....
We are working hard to unload up to seven players many of the names have already been published in the press.
It will come down to the last few days to secure our targets
IMHO Doesn't look good if some of the seven don't want to leave it might mean we have to sell players that aren't on that list"

Anyone who wants to get rid of Adebayor is nuts. I also can't believe people are writing him off based on the West Ham game. We played with 10 for a good portion of the time he was on the field. As the lone striker obviously he was likely to be isolated. He also did incredibly well to put Collins in the situation where he got a second yellow. Adebayor is held to an unfair standard.
Ex gooner, suspect attitude in the past. He could get crucified on Good Friday, score 3 on the following Monday & still get cunted off. He has shown respect for our fans. He got dropped by AVB to the youth team. He trained with the youth team. He spoke out- & who wouldn't? He apologised immediately when he saw how angry our fans were with the Liverpoo photos. He came in under Sherwood & was a man on fire. &- whilst I still can't find the fuckin link- he absolutely pissed Woolwich fans off on twitter with some great lines. Adebayor is not the devil incarnate. His attitude can be suspect sometimes but he can be the difference when he gets it all right mentally

Voetbal International on Depay...http://www.vi.nl/nieuws/depay-wacht-plannen-van-psv-af.htm

A bit of Google Translate confusion, but basically the article says that:
1. Depay doesn't want to sign a new contract yet until the window closes.
2. He noticed that PSV hasn't strengthened their squad.
3. And he waiting on to see if PSV keep Wijnaldum, which according to the article, recent interviews pretty much allude that Wijnaldum is in fact going to be sold.

So yeah this coupled with Depay's recent comments gives me a bit of hope.
He had a decent WC, he's already off to an amazing start in the Eredivise, and I really think he'd improve our squad a lot.

Edit: Just seen this too...

Come on Levy, this is your type of specialty deal. Get it done!

Let's spunk the budget on Depay so he can polish up his skills, become a world class player with us & we can sell him to our special partners in the Spanish capital. #sorted

We certainly should keep Ade, if anything we're a striker light (see what I did there ;)) Apparently a certain Mr Eto'o is available on a free ....

If we could get Remy for a knock down Levy special price, then fine if Poch is happy, but it's unlikely he or Eto'o are going to fire us into the CL. I doubt that we can buy the type of player that you would think, 'yep there's 12 Prem goals there minimum'.

I just hope our scouts can come up with a gem. Maybe a young keen enthusiastic player that would appeal to Poch.

Not sure how the West Ham game proved we need Schniederlin...

For me it simply showed that we had Sandro and Dembele out, and on top of that, after 20 minutes our 3rd choice CM had to go CB.

It was good to see a failed MS challenge that led to a Liverpool goal...and wasn't it Bentaleb who linked defense and attack to put a nice through ball for Kane to set up the winner?

The last thing we need at this club is another midfielder that can't score and set up goals.

Grey Fox:

"Apparently Baldini is/has been in Italy, may be looking to bring one home, but his prime task is to make some outgoings happen.
MM situation has been called correctly by the Express, in that a deadline of the end of this week has been set or we will move on.
MS my source is less optimistic on, we have put in a larger bid plus player offer, but our player needs convincing and getting complicated. Still some hope, but we are trying to fill in holes Southampton have dug for themselves.
Looks like Levy may have to bite the bullet on values if we are to off load some."

I'm sticking with my original thoughts...Baldini is in Italy to offload Soldado to Roma and aiming at snagging Destro.

I'm extremely eager to find out what happens to Musacchio. He, in my opinion, is at this point essential. He is a must-have player for us.

MS...I'm over him. Originally I was all for it, now not so much. I don't think we need him. Is he an improvement, yes. If we CAN get him, should we? Maybe, maybe not. I believe what we NEED is an excellent CB (MM) and a good striker to boot and we are set.

Snag Musacchio and Destro/Remy and I'll be happy. It's what we need. If not Destro or Remy, then another striker. Continue our pursuit of Depay as well.

Depay --- Ade/Kane/Destro/Remy --- Lamela

^^ This

Davies/Rose --- MM/Vert/Kaboul/Dier --- MM/Vert/Kaboul/Dier --- Walker/Dier

^^And this

This is essential. Our front and back are still arguably understrengthened. Signing MM will bring us to 110% and give us more depth. Same with the front. We need a better dedicated striker than Ade and we can find that in Destro or Remy. Adding Depay to boot on the left will also do wonders.

The midfield doesn't need more, it needs less. Too many holding midfielders already and while MS brings some creativity, it isn't what we absolutely need. At this point, like I said, I could care less about singing MS before signing MM and Destro/Remy/Depay.

Taking the last 15,000 minutes of football for Remy, Soldado and Adebayor we have:

Soldado - 1 goal every 149m
Adebayor - 1 goal every 173m
Remy - 1 goal every 191m

Obviously Soldado struggled in his first season at Spurs but I'm still struggling to understand why Remy is anything other than a 'flavour of the month' striker.

When you look at the players we didn't go in for, Lukaku's 1 every 153m screams out as a missed opportunity even if it's unlikely Chelsea would have sold to us. Bony has the best record at 1 every 134 minutes but many of his goals were scored in the Dutch league which is notorious for 'open' defending.
What about the last 150,000 minutes though? What are the stats on that?

Anyone rather keep Holtby over Dembele?
Dembele is probably our most gifted technical player in our squad, challenged only by Eriksen.

I am OK to have Holtby as a squad player, bring him off the bench to play against a worn out opposition once the big boys have worked them into the ground. He is no more than a League Cup/UEFA Cup squad player.

Martin Jol on Dembele:
"I think Dembele could develop into one of the best. He's better on the ball than any other number 10s I know. The only step he has to take now is play more killer balls and finish".

I wish we played him higher up the pitch, rather than a defensive mid. Impossible to get the ball off him, he can dribble and is a beast of a man. Beautiful baller.

I get that many of you feel that Schneiderlin may not be necessarily a direct improvement in terms of flat out quality over the players we currently have, and frankly, I feel that's a fair and justified assertion.

So you have to ask then, how has a brand new coach managed to convince Levy to potentially pay over a fee that was our record signing as of just over a year ago? Certainly we can safely assume Poch proposed the idea, and Baldini and Levy both asked him why we should make such a move considering how many central midfielders we already have. So it follows therefore that Poch had to have a damn good answer to convince a successful investment company's chosen individual to manage their largest investment/asset to decide that yes, pursuing this expensive option despite our current options is indeed worthwhile for this reason the new guy gave.

So it then has to be asked, why do some of you still continue to talk as if this alleged move is strictly for a "talent upgrade?" Surely there are other factors and categories at hand here for that kind of money, yes? It's not as if things have been running "peachy keen" the last two years, so why not consider all the possibilities as to why this man who has been brought in for the purpose of rectifying the problem has proposed this specific prescription?

I'm not convinced his defensive stats are actually accurate. They dominated possession last season yet he's making massive amounts of blocks and tackles a game? I've never watched him play and thought he looked like the monster that his stats paint him as.

I've followed stats close and I've noticed weeks can go by before someone's shots at goal stats change even though they have scored goals.

NOBODY was mentioning him last year, yet his stats come out and people have gone mental.

His challenge that led to a Liverpool goal was weak. Not the monster powerhouse those ridiculously impressive stats suggest.

We put three past him. I can hardly remember him being the beast in the middle.

They finished below us, and IMO he is a sideways move and a complete waste of money when we have obvious problems that need sorting.

I suspect that he had a specific role that allowed him to boost those stats. Like closing down short corners, part of the middle of a wall, was the target/link up guy challenging for throwins and set peices etc that boosts these stats.

Last edited:
Taking the last 15,000 minutes of football for Remy, Soldado and Adebayor we have:

Soldado - 1 goal every 149m
Adebayor - 1 goal every 173m
Remy - 1 goal every 191m

Obviously Soldado struggled in his first season at Spurs but I'm still struggling to understand why Remy is anything other than a 'flavour of the month' striker.

When you look at the players we didn't go in for, Lukaku's 1 every 153m screams out as a missed opportunity even if it's unlikely Chelsea would have sold to us. Bony has the best record at 1 every 134 minutes but many of his goals were scored in the Dutch league which is notorious for 'open' defending.

So Bony's goals are suspect because they happened in another league, but Soldado's goals in spain get a pass? Please, these stats mean jack shit; Soldado's goal scoring record in Spain has, thus far, clearly meant nothing in the EPL.

Maybe Remy is the flavor of the month, and maybe Adebayor is whatever flavor he chooses to be when he chooses to be it... but at least they've proven they can score and look confident doing it in the EPL, something Soldado has yet to really accomplish.

I'm just as behind Soldado recovering his form as everyone else, but can we please PLEASE stop being fooled into believing his stats in Spain mean anything? All you have to do is watch the guy play for five minutes to see that he's completely broken, and just simply hasn't figured out how to play in the Premier League yet.

Out of our current squad do we NEED to get rid of a few players? After all, we will need a big squad to compete in all competitions.

I want players to leave so we can try something new in attack and defense.

I was fed up of seeing rose, naughton, Lennon and Townsend cross to a lone soldado and getting nothing. So IMO if these players leave, we will not only get more goals and a better defense, but we will have more of a chance to gel.

With these players I feel we are spinning our wheels.

Last edited:
Lloris aside I still do not see any leaders in our squad. Players who can give out a bollocking but back it up by example. This concern me. I think Schniederlin may? be this type of player.

I dont want a want away diva who has caused a media storm raging at his current club being our captain.

But more importantly, I don't want to pay the inflated transfer price that a board that's dug it's heels in will demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom