Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's pretty much already been said, but I'm gonna throw this out there anyway.

We all knew this was a rebuilding year. Many of us on TFC have said we would be content with a 5th or even 6th place finish. I'm going to be a little bit more specific about that one. I'll be content if it's like that due to our lack of offense vice poor defensive showings. If we look good in the back it's VERY important that fans back Poch and don't give Levy any stupid ideas. We would need him for the length of his contract for his plan to probably fully take effect. Anyway, like I said, I would be happy with that finish. However, in order to show the board that there is a future with our new manager it's also vital that we either win a cup or have an extremely strong showing. I think that a Europa win is possible, but it's probably not all that plausible. We'll see on that one. Again, another strong showing will be important. After this season if we're in the position I would like us to be in I think it's imperative to really go out and get a LW. Not just someone that potentially has a future, but someone that is really right on the cusp of something incredible. It's hard to say who will leave or who we will sell after this upcoming season, but hopefully the really key elements don't want to leave and trust in Poch's ideas. If we can get the LW we need I think we could break top 4. So, now we're rolling into the 16/17 season, with CL football and some hype. We're also about to be moving into our new stadium. That's the summer we need to break the bank on a striker. Once we've done that I legitimately think we could win the league. If it's done right (and it really looks like we're on track) we could win the league in 3 seasons.

I know that this is a pipe dream, but I could see it happening.

I know your desire for a left winger, and your knowledge of Poch's systematic preferences, so do you think Kono is a good fit, given our weaknesses down the left last season?

Yes I very much do. Has the pace to couple Davies' excellent passing range and ability as well as create massive problems for the opposition, pace to cover for an advanced wingback, vision to keep up with Poch's front line rotation (was originally a deep-lying playmaker), ambidexterity to operate from anywhere in attacking positions, top notch dribbling ability, physicality to survive in the Prem, fantastic shooter from range to prevent opposing defenses from collapsing on the primarily short-distance creativity coming from Eriksen and Lamela thereby opening up more space for those two, and is handsome as fuck.

He would be excellent for not only Spurs, but would also work fantastically well in a Pochettino system.

Some ITK on SC saying that we have made an offer for ... drum-roll ... Jack Rodwell.

Ughh ... Rated him quite highly a long time ago, but times have changed. Please don't let him be our Schneiderlin backup. I don't want any back-up. I want Schneiderlin. No if's, no buts!

Yes I very much do. Has the pace to couple Davies' excellent passing range and ability as well as create massive problems for the opposition, pace to cover for an advanced wingback, vision to keep up with Poch's front line rotation (was originally a deep-lying playmaker), ambidexterity to operate from anywhere in attacking positions, top notch dribbling ability, physicality to survive in the Prem, fantastic shooter from range to prevent opposing defenses from collapsing on the primarily short-distance creativity coming from Eriksen and Lamela thereby opening up more space for those two, and is handsome as fuck.

He would be excellent for not only Spurs, but would also work fantastically well in a Pochettino system.
A lot of people here think that a LW should have a defensive game as well, as in the excuse that Eriksen let Rose down in that aspect. Kono looks an exciting player, but he doesn't have that defensive side to his game either. That doesn't worry me, but our forwards don't have that pressing game either. I've seen us start off like that for the first 10-15 minutes, but then it gets forgotten.

A lot of people here think that a LW should have a defensive game as well, as in the excuse that Eriksen let Rose down in that aspect. Kono looks an exciting player, but he doesn't have that defensive side to his game either. That doesn't worry me, but our forwards don't have that pressing game either. I've seen us start off like that for the first 10-15 minutes, but then it gets forgotten.

I agree with that rationale for not playing Eriksen at left wing. Why so many are still adamant for it is just beyond me.

Kono does defend at least sufficiently well enough. He's doesn't as much for Dnipro as he does with Ukraine, and also he defended yet less in his performances against us because IMO I think he saw those games as an opportunity to impress. It's well known that players from smaller countries use the Europa and Champions League games against "big clubs" to try and impress those clubs, and especially if they've recently received interest. Mohamed Salah is a prime example of this. So IMO I think a part of why it appeared he was less defensively-inclined than he normally is is because he was a bit more inclined to position himself to do the more "eye-catching" stuff. Is therefore an inaccurate sample to evaluate by my take.

If he were to come to Spurs or even the Prem and prove to be shit you're gonna have to retire from the internet. You would get SO much shit! Haha.

Why Why Why. How would it benefit you or I as a fan if he was sold for £50million. We wont see the money. It just weakens our team and lines the pockets of Levy & Co. Bale, Modric, Berbatov etc etc etc. How many more examples do you fucking need. I dont care if they offer a billion quid. I do not want to see the club I love sell their best players every time a fucking big offer gets put in front Levy`s nose

Lev invested all of the bale money in players.

I agree with that rationale for not playing Eriksen at left wing. Why so many are still adamant for it is just beyond me.

Kono does defend at least sufficiently well enough. He's doesn't as much for Dnipro as he does with Ukraine, and also he defended yet less in his performances against us because IMO I think he saw those games as an opportunity to impress. It's well known that players from smaller countries use the Europa and Champions League games against "big clubs" to try and impress those clubs, and especially if they've recently received interest. Mohamed Salah is a prime example of this. So IMO I think a part of why it appeared he was less defensively-inclined than he normally is is because he was a bit more inclined to position himself to do the more "eye-catching" stuff. Is therefore an inaccurate sample to evaluate by my take.
That's fair enough, but hardly an endorsement of his defensive capabilities either. He looks like a poor man's Kinkladze to me, but I'd take him nonetheless.

That's fair enough, but hardly an endorsement of his defensive capabilities either. He looks like a poor man's Kinkladze to me, but I'd take him nonetheless.

I don't blame you for seeing it as such considering I spent more time explaining the sample source suck, but I should have emphasized more about the tactics with Dnipro being such that he's utilized as the column in attack, and so isn't restrained with as much defensive duty. With Ukraine however, he certainly does his job in helping out his fullback. He certainly would be nothing that came close to a "liability" defensively in the high press system.

I don't blame you for seeing it as such considering I spent more time explaining the sample source suck, but I should have emphasized more about the tactics with Dnipro being such that he's utilized as the column in attack, and so isn't restrained with as much defensive duty. With Ukraine however, he certainly does his job in helping out his fullback. He certainly would be nothing that came close to a "liability" defensively in the high press system.

How do you have the time to know so much about a team no one outside of Ukraine gives a shit about?? You need to get back to studying homie.

BTW, I like your new avi. Although I'm afraid you'll get him a 5 year contract extension!! Hahahaha

Haha figured might as well use the most helpless fuckhead on earth. If things go well for him, who gives a shit what's he gonna do? If things go poorly for him, capitalism prevails.

Some ITK on SC saying that we have made an offer for ... drum-roll ... Jack Rodwell.

Ughh ... Rated him quite highly a long time ago, but times have changed. Please don't let him be our Schneiderlin backup. I don't want any back-up. I want Schneiderlin. No if's, no buts!

The Rodwell link if true says to me we're still concerned about how we're going to make registering the squad work with so many senior non-HG players. We had 20 at the start of the window, and as of yet seem only on the verge of having moved on one in Falque after allowing Gomes' contract to expire, but acquired two more in Vorm and now Dier. From how things appear at the moment, Sandro looks set to move, as does Vlad, which would bring us only back down to 18; and we'd have to find a way to move at least another two for sale or loan (likely Benny, Khumalo, and Ceballos) if we want to bring in any other non-HG targets this summer (such as Musacchio, or a winger should we choose to leave Rodriguez alone).

I would also suspect the club is at least feeling out other options in case Saints play serious hardball over Schneiderlin or do in fact entirely refuse altogether. So Rodwell would not only not compound the problem above, but would provide a decent enough backup option to Capoue with the versatility to also play alongside him if need be.

Keep in mind, despite him being around a good while, Rodwell is still rather youngish at 23. Poch has improved less experienced players at older ages than Rodwell.

Anyone got anything to read or reports on Dier? Still very young butcan he at least compete for a startig spot next to Vertonghen? If he cant compete for that yet then I think we should move for a veteran CB.

I really believe that Vert will sign a new contract
Hope you are right. I hate the fact that the Barca rumours does not stop. Instead please sign that Musacchio guy to pair up with Vertongen, not as his replacement. If so, I believe we will be solid in defence next season... finally

Anyone got anything to read or reports on Dier? Still very young butcan he at least compete for a startig spot next to Vertonghen? If he cant compete for that yet then I think we should move for a veteran CB.

Oooh he can take free kicks !!

Eric Jeremy Edgar Dier (born 15 January 1994) is an English professionalfootballer who plays for Portugueseclub Sporting Clube de Portugal as adefender or defensive midfielder.

Club careerEdit
Early career
Born in Cheltenham, Dier moved to Portugal from England when he was ten years old when his mother was offered a job working in Portugal during the2004 European Championships. His footballing ability was spotted by his school's (International Preparatory School) P.E. teacher Miguel Silva, who referred him to Sporting scouts.[3] In 2010, his parents returned to England while Dier remained in Portugal, living at Sporting CP's academy.[4] He is the grandson of Ted Croker (former Secretary of the Football Association and President of Cheltenham Town) and great nephew of Peter Croker who both played professionally for Charlton Athletic. His father, Jeremy is a former professional tennis player.[5] Dier signed professional terms with Sporting in April 2010. The Portuguese club beatWoolwich, Tottenham Hotspur,[6] and the team Dier supported as a child,Manchester United,[2] to his signature. Sporting also sold 50% economic rights of the player to a third-party owner, "Quality Football Ireland Limited".[7]Sporting bought back Dier in February 2012 by selling 50% rights of Filipe Chaby.

Everton (loan)
In January 2011, Dier agreed to joinEverton on a short-term loan until 30 June. Sporting CP's official website stated that the loan was "an opportunity for the athlete to grow in a more competitive and demanding environment".[8][9]

Sporting B
On 26 August 2012, Dier made his debut with Sporting B in a 2012–13 Segunda Liga 1–3 away win againstAtlético replacing Diego Rubio (77th minute).[10] On 4 November 2012, Dier scored his first senior goal with a direct free kick against Benfica B in a 1–3 away win in the Segunda Liga.[11]

Sporting
On 11 November 2012, Dier was called to play for the first team in a 2012–13 Primeira Liga 1–0 home win againstS.C. Braga assisting in the only goal.[12][13] On 26 November 2012, he scored his first goal for Sporting's first squad in a 2–2 away draw againstMoreirense F.C. in the Portuguese Primeira Liga.[14]

And a link from goal where he's described as a " young John Terry"

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/ed...ung-john-terry-meet-eric-dier-tottenhams-next

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom