Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that the latter is risky, so wouldn't mind waiting unil January to see how he recovers.

Completely agree. Even if it means we don't buy another winger this summer, I'd much prefer we hold off on that acquisition. Reassess at a later time, get him in if he's looking on point (if Saints are even more disposed to sell), or get another winger if we do appear to need one.

AVB on Bale on August 4th last season:

"These rumours of an imminent transfer are not true. The only thing we have communicated with Real Madrid is that he is our player and he is not for sale. We are building a great team for next season. We envisage the future with Gareth."

Koeman's comments mean nothing.

Schneiderlin and a more experienced center back would have me sorted for this summer. Then let Pochettino see which players he likes and next summer we'll probably make decent profit from sales. Hopefully, the only spots that will need to be addressed are striker and LW. Combine that with the continued influx of TV money we'll be able to spend decently high money on two quality players to play at striker and LW and hopefully not have to worry much about other positions. Then we'll be looking at a pretty complete and settled squad going into Pochettino's second season.

Schneiderlin and a more experienced center back would have me sorted for this summer. Then let Pochettino see which players he likes and next summer we'll probably make decent profit from sales. Hopefully, the only spots that will need to be addressed are striker and LW. Combine that with the continued influx of TV money we'll be able to spend decently high money on two quality players to play at striker and LW and hopefully not have to worry much about other positions. Then we'll be looking at a pretty complete and settled squad going into Pochettino's second season.

Completely agree, or winter if need be particularly for the winger situation. Would be the most well thought-out transfer window from Spurs in quite some time IMO.

Yeah I agree. For me its just a case of Vertonghen to signing a new contract, getting a more experienced CB and Schniderlin.

I do not see why others are so keen for Sandro to leave, him and Capoue will be fighting for the holding role. Schniderlin played more of a box to box role along side Wanyama at Southampton. So Schniderlin will be competition for Paulinho and Bentaleb. I think Dembele will be playing further up the pitch in the front 3. I may be wrong though.

Yeah I agree. For me its just a case of Vertonghen to signing a new contract, getting a more experienced CB and Schniderlin.

I do not see why others are so keen for Sandro to leave, him and Capoue will be fighting for the holding role. Schniderlin played more of a box to box role along side Wanyama at Southampton. So Schniderlin will be competition for Paulinho and Bentaleb. I think Dembele will be playing further up the pitch in the front 3. I may be wrong though.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but it is my suspicion that Sandro is particularly willing to leave and that's why his name is bandied around most. In my scenario I think Sandro, Dawson, and possibly Naughton would probably make way. I'd keep Naughton but with us being linked to that Portuguese guy on loan, that would a solid outcome and a way to save/raise some money.

Completely agree. Even if it means we don't buy another winger this summer, I'd much prefer we hold off on that acquisition. Reassess at a later time, get him in if he's looking on point (if Saints are even more disposed to sell), or get another winger if we do appear to need one.
We need a left winger, we'd leave our left back exposed again if we don't. It'd be suicide.

We need a left winger, we'd leave our left back exposed again if we don't. It'd be suicide.

Not playing Eriksen on the left and Chadli/Sigurdsson and Paulinho as your two center midfielders should mitigate this problem far more than signing a left winger.

Believe you me my friend, I've probably been one of the most adamantly pro-new left winger advocates in all of Spursdom ever since Bale went inverted a year and a half ago. I'd love to see us sign a new one this summer, but I agree with others suggesting that at this very moment we have a couple other positions of more pressing need in the context of Poch's tactics, and I would be content myself if those positions were addressed.

I think part of my satisfaction with such a result also has to do with the fact I don't see us finishing top four this season anyway barring something extraordinary. Would be entirely content to see clear evidence of the players buying into Poch's philosophy as a whole, and consistently improved play on the pitch. I've had more than enough of us trying to force the situation each year, as opposed to slow, steady, assured progress.

That having been said, I'd still have a copious boner were we to sign that handsome fella from Ukraine. Hoping they'll lose in Copenhagen next week to increase the chances of it happening.

Although FCK is a very strong at home, and have only ever lost 1 European match against Real. They've tied with both Juventus and Barcelona

Yeah, I watched a little of the game yesterday and they appeared very much to be playing to hold out for the second leg. Good to hear though, as I'm hoping they'll get it done. Would be little to no surface reason for Kono to stay anymore at that point.

Yeah, I watched a little of the game yesterday and they appeared very much to be playing to hold out for the second leg. Good to hear though, as I'm hoping they'll get it done. Would be little to no surface reason for Kono to stay anymore at that point.
I know your desire for a left winger, and your knowledge of Poch's systematic preferences, so do you think Kono is a good fit, given our weaknesses down the left last season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom