Stadium Tour cock-up

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Disagree. They would not have incurred those costs but for booking on the legends tour. They didn't get what they wanted and would have to spend the same again to get the legends tour on the complimentary basis.

So what if the persons involved had came from, say, Ireland, as an example, would the club be expected to cover their travel costs too?

It was unfortunate but the travel is irrelevant IMO. Their response was apt.

So what if the persons involved had came from, say, Ireland, as an example, would the club be expected to cover their travel costs too?
I think a reasonable contribution to them would not be out of the question. See, the problem for @ nickyb1982 nickyb1982 is that they have not offered a refund, but only the chance to attend again, which means doubling up on the cost of travel. That, to me, is a little unfair and renders the first set of travel costs a wasted expense incurred as a direct result of the club's mistake.

Imagine an American fan was in London for a few days and booked the same tour only to then be disappointed. A set of complimentary tickets wouldn't be much good for him if he'd have to fly back here to get them. If the club don't want to pay a contribution to the train fare, then they should at least be offering him some sort of refund or club vouchers, as has been suggested above.

At the end of the day this is a consumer contract and when that contract cannot be performed without further loss compensation becomes the appropriate remedy.

Everyone has to travel though. I live in west london and it would probably take me just as long if not longer to get to white hart lane as it would from Cambridge, although it would cost less. Does that mean that person should be compensated more than me if the same thing happened to us both?
The grievance was with Tottenham and they offered a more than reasonable compensation. Asking for match tickets and shirts is pushing it really. You're entitled to ask but you can't get the hump when they say no. You just have to take it on the chin, and move on.
If you aren't happy with the travel costs as well, I suggest you make a nice sign saying "north london" and practice sticking your thumb out.

I think you should make sure you know what you're buying when it's over the phone. If your step-mum had paid for a holiday would you just give a reference number to an anonymous telephonist without requiring that they confirm the destination, travel dates, airport, hotel, car-hire etc are all correct?

A refund of the extra cost you paid for the "legend" would be reasonable - but after you dissed Martin Chivers I'm not sure you deserve that even.

Last edited:
I think you should make sure you know what your buying when it's over the phone. If your step-mum had paid for a holiday would you just give a reference number to an anonymous telephonist without requiring that they confirm the destination, travel dates, airport, hotel, car-hire etc are all correct?
Um, she specifically asked for a legends tour....and the mistake is her own? I think @ nickyb1982 nickyb1982 said that she'd paid extra as well. If you go into Tesco and buy an banana labelled organic, paying 20p extra for it, and you find out it's a regular one, then it's hardly your fault for buying it, is it?

So it seems the fault is entirely internal to the club. Wouldn't surprise me considering some of the inconsistencies I've had on the ticket/membership line in the past.

I think their offer is a good one, but I wouldn't make you do it on a particular date, but one of your choosing within the next three months (for example).

Either that, or they should refund the difference in cost between standard and legend.

Any other business would be more generous, I feel, seeing as they were in the wrong in the first place. But football clubs operate on a different level from mainstream service companies.

You won't get any financial compensation as it was not you who originally booked and paid for the tour. Your step mother should have made the complaint and that's why they have refused your request. very similar to the DPA I suppose
The legends tour that was offered as a replacement won't actually cost the club financially as much as tickets or shirts, and the fact they even offered that to you is impressive.
Not trying to cover up the original ineptitude of the club but I can clearly see their logic in the response

Last edited:
it's a fair response imo.

try your luck for 2additional places on the legends tour (which wont cost them and are more likley to do) and flog it onto make a couple of quid or give it to family

Was I expecting too much?

Am I right to be annoyed?

You would think a multi-million pound club could spare a couple of shirts that probably only cost a couple of quid to make, to apologise to two supporters who have supported them for 85 years+ combined, for a mistake they made!

Have you considered asking for either yourself, or as she paid for it, your step-Mum to be made Club Captain for the season?

Hmm, I am going to say Spurs could & should do more, they made an error and the tour that was promised was not delivered, their mistake remedy is not bad but it does not make up for your wasted time.

This is a business, one which you'd spent thousands of pounds with over a number of years and that you want to continue using over the years, surely they should do something to compensate you for your time & trouble because of their mistake and the fact you're a loyal customer?

I hate compensatory culture but in fairness I think asking for a couple of match tickets is probably not bad when you factor in taking a day off, what your time, effort and costs, a couple of match tickets for a Cat C game is probably not a bad gesture from their side.

Disagree. They would not have incurred those costs but for booking on the legends tour. They didn't get what they wanted and would have to spend the same again to get the legends tour on the complimentary basis. So paying the fare a second time would be a direct expense arising out of the club's error.

At least, that's the argument I would've made. :D
spoken like a man who considers 'consequential losses arising'.

Um, she specifically asked for a legends tour....and the mistake is her own? I think @ nickyb1982 nickyb1982 said that she'd paid extra as well. If you go into Tesco and buy an banana labelled organic, paying 20p extra for it, and you find out it's a regular one, then it's hardly your fault for buying it, is it?

So it seems the fault is entirely internal to the club. Wouldn't surprise me considering some of the inconsistencies I've had on the ticket/membership line in the past.

"My Step-Mum bought my Dad a legend’s tour of WHL for 2 people for his birthday. He asked me to book it so I phoned up and after being given the incorrect phone number on 2 occasions eventually got through to book the tour.

I said I had rung up to book a WHL tour and was asked to provide the reference number above. The girl who I spoke to took the booking reference and asked when we would like to go – I said Saturday 3rd August and she asked what time – I said 12:00 and she said that 12:00 was fine and it was all booked, and that we just needed to be at the club shop at 12:00. Brilliant.
"

So he didn't tell the telephonist that it was a Legends tour and the probably very busy call-centre worker failed to make additional checks. I'm just saying that he should have been sure he was getting a Legends tour if that was important to him - which btw it doesn't sound like the Legends bit of the tour was very important to him, which is probably why he was so casual in making the booking in the first place.

You can't go through life with a blasé attitude and expect someone else to fill in all the details for you - often you'll get away with it but such an attitude is going to trip you up now and again. I don't want to sound all headmastery but people need pay attention and avoid sloppiness - I mean, look at Adebayor.

"My Step-Mum bought my Dad a legend’s tour of WHL for 2 people for his birthday. He asked me to book it so I phoned up and after being given the incorrect phone number on 2 occasions eventually got through to book the tour.

I said I had rung up to book a WHL tour and was asked to provide the reference number above. The girl who I spoke to took the booking reference and asked when we would like to go – I said Saturday 3rd August and she asked what time – I said 12:00 and she said that 12:00 was fine and it was all booked, and that we just needed to be at the club shop at 12:00. Brilliant.
"

So he didn't tell the telephonist that it was a Legends tour and the probably very busy call-centre worker failed to make additional checks. I'm just saying that he should have been sure he was getting a Legends tour if that was important to him - which btw it doesn't sound like the Legends bit of the tour was very important to him, which is probably why he was so casual in making the booking in the first place.

You can't go through life with a blasé attitude and expect someone else to fill in all the details for you - often you'll get away with it but such an attitude is going to trip you up now and again. I don't want to sound all headmastery but people need pay attention and avoid sloppiness - I mean, look at Adebayor.
In the very section you have quoted @ nickyb1982 nickyb1982 makes it clear that the tour had already been purchased as a gift by his stepmother and it was then his job to phone up and schedule a date for it since it would just be him and his father going. He did so using the reference provided - which, incidentally, he quoted at the start of this thread. That reference was specifically issued by the club for a legends gift package and they should've been aware of that when he booked the date for the tour. After all, it's their reference number.

So no, I don't agree that he was blasé at all. Had no reference number been provided and he just phoned up on that occasion to book and buy the tour then I would have entirely agreed with you.

Back
Top Bottom