Stadium Tour cock-up

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Personally, asking for replica shirts and tickets, sounds like you're on the scrounge to me. Just my opinion obviously and i'm not generally a fan of THFC Customer Care.

They're offering you a full replacement (in addition to the tour you've had). Or otherwise they should definitely refund the difference in price (whatever this is). Surprised they didn't offer you that first to be honest.

You seem to emphasise that the "legend" is important (and obviously the reason for the cock-up and complaint) but then you belittle it with, "just to hear some stories is just not worth it"

:thumbup:

I think they could have offered a bit more compensation to cover the fact they'll need to spend again to travel to and from the ground to experience the tour they had originally paid for.

I don't think it's relevant, transport costs are transport costs, nothing to do with the club, regardless if they live in Cambridge or in Tottenham itself.

I generally don't agree for asking for something specific as compensation either, especially when the club have offered something which is probably worth a lot already.

It's like when passengers demand an upgrade from economy to business on a flight for some inconvenience, you can't expect the purser to say "yes sir of course, here's a 1000 pound upgrade free of charge."

It's not how businesses work and it would open them up to getting abused because somebody else got it so why can't I?

The club did fuck up yes but I think the compensation offered is realistic.

Was I expecting too much?

Am I right to be annoyed?

You would think a multi-million pound club could spare a couple of shirts that probably only cost a couple of quid to make, to apologise to two supporters who have supported them for 85 years+ combined, for a mistake they made!

Have you considered asking for either yourself, or as she paid for it, your step-Mum to be made Club Captain for the season?

The way I see it, you still got some of what you paid for by going on the tour notwithstanding. While it was right to make a complaint, I think the offer you got was more than adequate since they weren't just offering you a new date on a fixed day, but would send you complimentary tickets for a later date, which would presumably allow you to attend the tour on a day when you would otherwise be in London. I think the most extra you could've asked for would perhaps have been a contribution to the train tickets, but I feel it's difficult to argue this when you decided to go on the tour even though there was no legend. I appreciate your day may have been a total waste without doing so, but it probably would have put you in a better position to argue for a contribution to the train tickets.

I assume the request for a match ticket or replica kit was based on your estimated cost of travel. How much was that? About £40-£80?

If it were me I would not have asked for a match ticket or kit. Rather simply written back and explained that the train fare was a lot, attached receipts and make it clear to them that to attend the new offered date you'd have to incur this cost again.

So what if the persons involved had came from, say, Ireland, as an example, would the club be expected to cover their travel costs too?
I think a reasonable contribution to them would not be out of the question. See, the problem for @ nickyb1982 nickyb1982 is that they have not offered a refund, but only the chance to attend again, which means doubling up on the cost of travel. That, to me, is a little unfair and renders the first set of travel costs a wasted expense incurred as a direct result of the club's mistake.

Imagine an American fan was in London for a few days and booked the same tour only to then be disappointed. A set of complimentary tickets wouldn't be much good for him if he'd have to fly back here to get them. If the club don't want to pay a contribution to the train fare, then they should at least be offering him some sort of refund or club vouchers, as has been suggested above.

At the end of the day this is a consumer contract and when that contract cannot be performed without further loss compensation becomes the appropriate remedy.

I think you should make sure you know what you're buying when it's over the phone. If your step-mum had paid for a holiday would you just give a reference number to an anonymous telephonist without requiring that they confirm the destination, travel dates, airport, hotel, car-hire etc are all correct?

A refund of the extra cost you paid for the "legend" would be reasonable - but after you dissed Martin Chivers I'm not sure you deserve that even.

Last edited:
Big important rule whenever you're making a complaint: always retain the moral high ground.

When you asked for specific items as compensation, you lost that high ground because you looked kind of greedy, like you were trying to get something extra - more than what you paid for - rather than being happy with being "made whole" by the club's offer. Replica kits aren't related to a stadium tour the way that compensation for your rail fare from Cambridge to London is.

Back
Top Bottom