Spurs Youth 2023/24

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would you keep around though? Got to weigh squad depth against development

Phillips/Soonsup-Bell/Keeley/Bergvall would have to be registered on List A because they've not been at the club long enough to be on the u21 list B
Maybe Devine but arguably could do with another loan, seen fairly mixed views from Plymouth fans so far, Dane possibly needs to go back on loan for game time.
Santiago could probably do with a loan but would be a decent List B option if he stayed.
Do you keep Donley, Dorrington, Lankshear, Hall around? (all eligible to play in UEFA Youth League next season if they stay). Quite like to see Hall kept around for a full season with the u21s but the others could probably all get decent loans.

I'd suggest Bergval will be kept with first team next season, and although not from Spurs youth, IMO Ange would still need to ease him in gently, so maybe 10 appearances part from bench and a few starts - I don't think he'd be planned for that much more.

If you add in Hall (even though he's relatively similar in playing place to Bergval), maybe a few appearances off the bench for a 17 year old Mikey Moore, and I'm sure there will be one or two others in u21's who might be deserving - that's 3 to 5 players and I can't see Ange wanting to give playing time to more than that otherwise each will get only a few minutes each which won't help with their development

And that assumes we can find good clubs for loans to Phillips, Soonsup-Bell, Keeley, Devine, Scarlett, Santiago, Donley, Dorrington and Lankshear (9 players) which seems to be a tall order so one or two might not get loans and would gain from Ange giving them a few minutes to be part of the 3-5 youngsters.

...having seen what Klopp did today with the younger players (albeit enforced in some situations) makes me think even more that Ange will try playing the kids (or at least rotate heavily) AGAIN in next seasons' EFL Competition...
The logic being, if they're not good enough to get through the early rounds, then they're certainly not ready for a Final!

I'd love the idea of Donley, Mikey Moore, Dorrington, Lankshear, Veliz dancing round Wembley alongside 'old heads' Vicario, Romero, VDV, Udogie, Sarr & Maddison etc. with a Winners medal round their necks a year from today... but they have to be ready (and able) to come in and play at ANY given time next season - either individually, or as a group - or else, if they're not up to the standard needed to help win the thing, we'll simply be accused of not taking the competition seriously (again) by playing them....

Last edited:
Indeed opportunity is key
I’ve never liked klopp and I know they are decimated by injuries but absolute respect to him for his substitutions today fully deserved win today

4 rookie subs today, all from the academy - 19-year-old duo Bobby Clark and James McConnell, along with 18-year-old Jayden Danns. and 21 year old Jarrell Quansah

Add in Kelleher, Alexander- Arnold, Harvey Elliott, and Connor Bradley that's 8 academy graduates who are in Liverpool's first team pool, albeit stretched through injury.

No reason why Spurs do not build up that sort of number.

4 rookie subs today, all from the academy - 19-year-old duo Bobby Clark and James McConnell, along with 18-year-old Jayden Danns. and 21 year old Jarrell Quansah

Add in Kelleher, Alexander- Arnold, Harvey Elliott, and Connor Bradley that's 8 academy graduates who are in Liverpool's first team pool, albeit stretched through injury.

Think that is what ange was hinting at a couple of weeks ago when he got criticised for slagging off our academy

Donnelly seems to be getting rave reviews recently surely he should be given a go in some form with the first team as he plays in an area where we lack depth

Think that is what ange was hinting at a couple of weeks ago when he got criticised for slagging off our academy
I thought it was pretty clear what Ange meant and was surprised others took it mean something else. He wasn't criticising the potential of the current crop of players, just that they're mostly a year or two off realistically being ready to be Premier league level squad players. With the likes of Devine, Bergvall, Phillips, Vuskovic brought in to supplement the likes of Dane, Donley, Dorrington, Moore, we should be in a much better position in a couple of years. As Ange said Simon Davies has been working on making it so there's a production line of talented players so there are options coming through every year which both gives the manager more options and allows current academy players to go out on loan to develop themselves.

Last edited:

To be fair, that's also probably a big part of the reason why Klopp wants to move on.

He shouldn't be having to rely on kids in a cup final and his squad is no where near good enough to be able to compete in four cups, let alone what they're doing in the league and he's getting every last bit out of them. No wonder he's drained and in need of a break.

To be fair, that's also probably a big part of the reason why Klopp wants to move on.

He shouldn't be having to rely on kids in a cup final and his squad is no where near good enough to be able to compete in four cups, let alone what they're doing in the league and he's getting every last bit out of them. No wonder he's drained and in need of a break.

That and he has a few stars like Salah (age 31) who are at the end of their playing lives and replacing them will not be easy

They used to have a very good recruitment team led by Edwards (ex Spurs, and responsible for bringing in Salah, GK Alisson, Van Dijk et al) but he left 3 or 4 years or so ago and they haven't found an adequate replacement yet, which has been a pressing need for at least 2 years. Without that all they can do is overpay and hope for the best - hence bringing in Nunez.

That and he has a few stars like Salah (age 31) who are at the end of their playing lives and replacing them will not be easy

They used to have a very good recruitment team led by Edwards (ex Spurs, and responsible for bringing in Salah, GK Alisson, Van Dijk et al) but he left 3 or 4 years or so ago and they haven't found an adequate replacement yet, which has been a pressing need for at least 2 years. Without that all they can do is overpay and hope for the best - hence bringing in Nunez.

In the summer, Salah, Trent and Van Dijk will have just 12 months left on their contract.

I think Klopp is getting out just like Ferguson did. At the right time.

Makes you think what he would do with City’s backing or even Arse’s.

In the summer, Salah, Trent and Van Dijk will have just 12 months left on their contract.

I think Klopp is getting out just like Ferguson did. At the right time.

If Liverpool are wise they will take the hit in the summer on Salah with the Saudi clubs. Probably get £150m or more then reinvest but you can see a rebuild for Liverpool this summer.

If Liverpool are wise they will take the hit in the summer on Salah with the Saudi clubs. Probably get £150m or more then reinvest but you can see a rebuild for Liverpool this summer.

Dont think there's a chance in hell they get anything close to that with him having a year left. Doubt they'd even get 60m at best tbh. And Liverpool will either have to suck it up or see him walk on a free.

I think Trent will probably sign a new deal but van Dijk is an interesting one too. He's quite obviously back to his best or as close to. Will he sign a new deal? Not getting any younger. I can see someone testing their resolve.

Back
Top Bottom