Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
GiddyLeadingInexpectatumpleco-small.gif

How Bundesliga interest in English talent is just the beginning

Interesting read on how Bundesliga clubs are now scouring PL youth games for unutilised (by PL clubs) youth,

This bit could have been cut and pasted from one of my posts (or yours or some others). How many times have I talked about how development is treated differently in France (I know there are economic drivers too, but it's still far more normal for French clubs to integrate young players):

“It’s not easy at this level to take the young players from the academy and [be] ready to play,” he said, before being asked whether those young players can be impatient. That should not necessarily preclude the promotion of young players, though. Many who work on the continent simply can’t believe how wedded English clubs are to a hierarchical system regarding age. It is like they get hung up on it, and won’t trust an 18-year-old if they can bring in a 21-year-old. The director of football at a Ligue 1 club confided that, “we can’t believe some of the quality English clubs have and don’t use. Age doesn’t come into it with us, it’s just about level of quality.

“English clubs seem to give the least amount of respect to the same players they’ve spent years developing.”

That last sentence particularly is something that's driven me nuts for years. We know these kids, we've spent 10 years preparing them in some cases, know their characters, their ability, but all that seems to count for almost nothing or is risk assessed ridiculously out of proportion when compared to bought in option, sometimes even when that bought in option only has limited experience and in another league/country.

Last edited:
DxMrj5dX0AEZaJj.jpg

Janssen with his 3rd successive appearance for u23's - hopefully just about match fit to be sold or loaned out

Tracey back fit in the starting X1, good to see Harrison first time back after injury on the bench.

No Sterling - first team place on bench as back up for Llorente ?.

DxMrj5dX0AEZaJj.jpg

Janssen with his 3rd successive appearance for u23's - hopefully just about match fit to be sold or loaned out

Tracey back fit in the starting X1, good to see Harrison first time back after injury on the bench.

Sterling trained with the first team today so 90% certain he is in the match squad.

Why does N'Koudou not play with the U23s?
that's a good question. I guess Nkoudou, even if he doesn't cut the grade is still on Poch's good side so he is allowed to train with the first team. But he is only 23 so he should be eligible to play with the youths

DxMrj5dX0AEZaJj.jpg

Sterling training with the first team.

Surprised to see Marsh starting though as I had assumed he'd have made up numbers on the bench. Though this could also confirm Dier will be back and ready for the bench instead.

Surprised to see Marsh starting though as I had assumed he'd have made up numbers on the bench. Though this could also confirm Dier will be back and ready for the bench instead.
Poch confirmed Dier is fit for the bench at the press conference today indeed

Even though Dier should be fit enough to make the 18, still surprised if only Sterling is the only one called up as first team numbers must be pretty tight to make 18.

From OS :

Tottenham Hotspur‏Verified account @SpursOfficial 1h1 hour ago

70 - GOAL! @JackRoles_ restores our U23s’ lead at @NorwichCityFC as he nutmegs his marker, receives a return pass from @vincentjanssen and fires past the keeper at his near post on our left. #COYS #NCFC 1-2 #THFC

81 - Goal for @NorwichCityFC. @baustin__ palms upwards at his near post but is injured in the aftermath as Spyrou and Thorvaldsson combine to force the ball home. Austin unable to continue and sub Maxi Tainio is set to take over in goal. #COYS

FULL-TIME - It ends all square following a long period of injury time in which stand-in goalkeeper Tainio made a good save from Idah to preserve a point in the Premier League International Cup.

So we play last 10 minutes plus injury time with 10 men and ,akeshify GK Tainio in goal ! Well done lads !

Also love the description of Roles goal after nutmegging his opponent.

Good to see TOB scoring as well

And I think that's Janssen with 2 assists today - must be good for confidence and a potential move

Even though Dier should be fit enough to make the 18, still surprised if only Sterling is the only one called up as first team numbers must be pretty tight to make 18.

Gazzaniga
KWP
Foyth
Davies
Skipp
Dier
Sterling

Most likely, I'd say? Replace full back and centre halves depending on who starts

Perfectly possible, But I'd say it doesn't leave much option to bring on an attacking player. I'd still have had Roles on the bench as well as Sterling.

Agreed.

I actually think Poch may spring a surprise and start Skipp and perhaps leave Lamela on the bench for some creativity later on if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom