Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine if Roles isn't included in our upcoming summer pre-season then he has no future at the club. I mean he's 20 years old next month and there hasn't been a single sign that he's to be called up to the first team. Not involved in any pre-season with the team (Whilst numerous other youngsters from Anton Walkes to Grant Ward have been) and hasnt been on the bench for any cup games against 'lower' sides. I don't think I've ever even seen him in any first team training photos.

A shame really. I did hear a few years back that Pochettino wasn't particularly keen on him. Never understood why and if he wasn't, then it's a shame he hasn't told him this (He may have done?) and tried to move him on for the best of his career.

Last edited:
I imagine if Roles isn't included in our upcoming summer pre-season then he has no future at the club. I mean he's 20 years old next month and there hasn't been a single sign that he's to be called up to the first team. Not involved in any pre-season with the team (Whilst numerous other youngsters from Anton Walkes to Grant Ward have been) and hasnt been on the bench for any cup games against 'lower' sides.

A shame really. I did hear a few years back that Pochettino wasn't particularly keen on him. Never understood why and if he wasn't, then it's a shame he hasn't told him this (He may have done?) and tried to move him on for the best of his career.

Or....McDermott (and/or other key youth staff) is keen on him. Thus, despite Poch not quite fancying what he's seen just yet, he and the club is willing to give the boy a bit more time, because Poch trusts McDermott.

Or....McDermott (and/or other key youth staff) is keen on him. Thus, despite Poch not quite fancying what he's seen just yet, he and the club is willing to give the boy a bit more time, because Poch trusts McDermott.

Hopefully.

I've always liked what I've seen from Roles - plus goals from midfield are like goldust.

This bit could have been cut and pasted from one of my posts (or yours or some others). How many times have I talked about how development is treated differently in France (I know there are economic drivers too, but it's still far more normal for French clubs to integrate young players):

“It’s not easy at this level to take the young players from the academy and [be] ready to play,” he said, before being asked whether those young players can be impatient. That should not necessarily preclude the promotion of young players, though. Many who work on the continent simply can’t believe how wedded English clubs are to a hierarchical system regarding age. It is like they get hung up on it, and won’t trust an 18-year-old if they can bring in a 21-year-old. The director of football at a Ligue 1 club confided that, “we can’t believe some of the quality English clubs have and don’t use. Age doesn’t come into it with us, it’s just about level of quality.

“English clubs seem to give the least amount of respect to the same players they’ve spent years developing.”

That last sentence particularly is something that's driven me nuts for years. We know these kids, we've spent 10 years preparing them in some cases, know their characters, their ability, but all that seems to count for almost nothing or is risk assessed ridiculously out of proportion when compared to bought in option, sometimes even when that bought in option only has limited experience and in another league/country.

More stuff that resonates:

As figures who work on such deals from all sides explain, the fundamental question put to any scout regarding a player is whether “he’s better than what we’ve got?” This goes to a deeper level with the highest-level English clubs, though. The question is not just whether a player is better, but whether he is ready enough that there is minimal risk of dropping points if he is used. Those clubs will know a young foreign player is ready, because he has already been given top-division experience in another league. They won’t know whether their own young player is, because they won’t risk that experience, creating this curious circular problem.

And this (especially bold):

This also represents a conspicuous evolution from what used to be seen as best practice for young players, as ideally illustrated by Sir Alex Ferguson and now arguably best replicated by Tottenham Hotspur.

Ferguson ensured United made plenty of money through the sales of so many graduates over the years, but only after so many of them got proper runs in the team to first test them – and not just in the League Cup. A youth product like Luke Chadwick still played 24 Premier League games for United, while scoring a crucial title-race goal along the way.

That type of thing doesn’t really happen at most top clubs any more, bar exceptional circumstances. What has instead happened is a trend whereby promises are made to teenage prodigies, but they are then firmly “kept in their box” as League Cup or Europa League players while the club signs from elsewhere.

The issue, and something making so many now consider the strong German interest, is that the families of players “are getting wise to this”.

Not sure I totally buy the bit about us being a shining beacon of youth integration or kept promises. (Seeing Skipp get a couple starts has at least restored some faint hope)

Last edited:
Given the lengthy time Austin was tended on the field (the main reason for 12 minutes of injury time in the u23 match), its reassuring to see this :

JDzc_Mqk_bigger.jpg
Brandon Austin‏ @baustin__
Thanks everyone for the messages Glad to say I am fine and all that happened was just precaution
1f64f-1f3fd.png
I would also like to thank all the medical staff for their help
1f4ab.png
pic.twitter.com/H0etocLBs7

DxTJ5i9XgAAD4Nq.jpg

For all the talk about trusting Skipp, I think today proves that he doesn't just yet.

If he wasn't going to start, which I'd have liked, I'd much rather seen him come on than Dier. He's more tenaciously dynamic but also more likely to play an incisive pass.

Even more worrying is KWP not even on the bench. he should have been starting this game. I don't mind Trippier, but even I think he's not exactly going through a purple patch right now and KWP might have given us something extra, he can move with the ball as well.

It's a travesty that KWP hasn't been given more starts over this busy phase, he keeps proving he's good enough, and his potential ceiling is higher than both Trippier and Aurier.

Last edited:
With Alli injured, perfect ready made replacement in Jack Roles.

Agreed. However to do that he should have had had some training sessions with first team, a couple of appearances on the bench and a couple of short run outs (even 10 minutes) off the bench just to get him used to the atmosphere etc.

Really don't understand his omission based upon his u21 appearances this season - although I can understand Poch liking to see youngsters in pre-season, if Poch misses them out (with 20/20 hindsight) I don't see the 'Plan B' in operation to get them involved.

He looked a bit 'gangly' last season but has put on some muscle/'bulk' over the summer which should suit Poch who prefers 'larger units '- unless he's not put on enough ? Any thoughts DerryLennon DerryLennon as you have seen more of him than most ? In this video from a number of matches he looks strong enough ?

Last edited:

Interview with Poch - quite a lot on youth

I was just about to post this. He's a lovable, warm, intelligent man, who has some incredible ideas for building team spirit and harmony. I love him dearly and everything he's done for our club.

But... here's where I get picky. That youth stuff does baffle me. If you're that focussed on the intangibles, it's utterly reliant on perception, subjectivity and - indeed - being able to make a 'connection' with a kid. In fact, being able to perceive that the *team* has made a connection. So are we saying then that KWP has barely played over the past three years because he hasn't been 'accepted' by the first team?

Agreed. However to do that he should have had had some training sessions with first team, a couple of appearances on the bench and a couple of short run outs (even 10 minutes) off the bench just to get him used to the atmosphere etc.

Really don't understand his omission based upon his u21 appearances this season - although I can understand Poch liking to see youngsters in pre-season, if Poch misses them out (with 20/20 hindsight) I don't see the 'Plan B' in operation to get them involved.

He looked a bit 'gangly' last season but has put on some muscle/'bulk' over the summer which should suit Poch who prefers 'larger units '- unless he's not put on enough ? Any thoughts DerryLennon DerryLennon as you have seen more of him than most ? In this video from a number of matches he looks strong enough ?

I completely agree , looking at these clips he seems very positive in his play and you know what is really really good is that most of his play he is going forwards with the ball and trying to create , as appose to going backwards continuously and playing safe . The boy has a football brain and plays the ball quickly. I like the fact he doesn’t have to do 10 step overs every time he gets the ball , or turn around in a full circle just to end up in the same place and pass it backwards. He is a completely different type of player that we normally rave about as a club , and that could possibly be the problem and the reason why we are not giving him a chance with us .

No Sterling or Parrott in the team tonight
Dxna0oAWkAIJ4MM.jpg

With Janssen and Harrison playing for u21's arguably neither required (and Parrott has only played a few u21 matches, he's not a regular), but I think Sterling will be on first team bench. Parrott either 19th man or not involved ?

Sadly, but predictably Roles is playing for u21's.

Big jump for Cirkin - think this is his debut at this level ? Has done well in u18's

With Janssen and Harrison playing for u21's arguably neither required (and Parrott has only played a few u21 matches, he's not a regular), but I think Sterling will be on first team bench. Parrott either 19th man or not involved ?

Sadly, but predictably Roles is playing for u21's.

Big jump for Cirkin - think this is his debut at this level ? Has done well in u18's
Both trained today with the first team, which probably also meant they wouldn't play anyway regardless if selected or not??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom