Spurs Youth 2018/19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take your point but the Checkatrade is optional and we could cover the U19 UEFA Youth League with our Academy squad, which is currently larger than usual.

The Checkatrade is arguably the closest to 'men's' football though - which is the primary reason for sending them on loan in the first place.

One squad covering the other doesn't really work though, for example we have coming up:

23rd Nov - U23's away at Chelsea
24th Nov - U18's home to Woolwich
28th Nov - U18's home to Inter

The first team also play on 24th & 28th and some of the players might be needed to make up those squads.

The Checkatrade is arguably the closest to 'men's' football though - which is the primary reason for sending them on loan in the first place.

One squad covering the other doesn't really work though, for example we have coming up:

The first team also play on 24th & 28th and some of the players might be needed to make up those squads.

Agree with the sentiment.

I think it depends on which season it is. So for example next season our current Year Academy with 16 players will move into the Development Squad, of course we don't know how many will get pro contracts, but its a good year so its quite likely to be say 10+ players. And suddenly we will have a lot of players needing game time as there will still be a number of pros round from older years. So I think we may well see more loans from that group next season.

Next season we will still have this years Academy Year 1 who are a smaller group of 10 players and if anything I suspect next years Academy Year 1 will be the same size or perhaps a couple more, so plenty of Academy Players again to play in the tournaments.

I think we could have loaned out a couple more players this season than we have done - but we had more injured at the start of the season than we have had for a few years (Sterling, Hinds, Oakley-Boothe and followed by early season injuries to Tracey, Georgiou, Harrison, Dinzeyi whilst the first three are now back playing).

But if you look at one position - goalkeepers - we could have certainly loaned out more as we have Whiteman (acting as first team 4th GK, has been on bench), Austin (main PL2 GK), De Bie (hardly plays), Freeman (has he played ?), Glover (played once ?) in the Development squad plus 2 GK's in the Academy of whom one still has to make his u18 debut, So half of these 7 GK's do not play currently meaning 2 or 3 could be loaned.

I certainly agree that the Checkatrade tournament gives a lot of experience to the players in that team - but it is only 3 games in the group stage. So that's manageable to find a team

Its also possible to pull players back from loans to play in PL2

Last edited:

Don't get me wrong, I'm in favour of the Checkatrade. But I'd also have at least five more of our young players out on loan, probably KWP, Skipp, Tanganga, Eyoma and Roles.

Edit: plus two keepers.

How did we line up Jan?
From what I remember, as unlike some others I wasn't taking notes. (one guy I was speaking to was compiling the stats of throw ins yellows etc. It is his job, but still)
BLF at RB, looked pretty assured. Good on the ball.
Eyoma and Walcott CBs; they both had some uncomfortable moments esp when PSV had their purple patch at the end of the half, but stuck at it. How tall is Walcott? At 16? V good run and header at the near post for the goal, and that superb last ditch save off the line with Austin beaten.
Brown LB. Generally solid, had an unfortunate slip on the turf and picked up a yellow for the resulting grapple.
Often in space, should have been passed to more imo.
In goal, Austin had a good game. Some very good saves. One howler of a clearance that hit their attacker point blank and bounced back into his arms. Didn't start booting the ball out of hand till added time. His play with feet (aside from the above howler) was very good. He's obviously practised his weaker foot a lot, so long and accurate left peg too. Made a nice change having experienced Hugo over the years.
Austin was always passing out to the back 4 at every opportunity, some very risky ones too, but they coped well.
Bowden and Harvey W MF. Bowden was subbed in 2nd half, and had much the quieter game, although his corner for the first goal assist. Harvey W I thought had the much better game. Used the ball well, esp 2nd half, and only recall him being caught in possession once towards the end.
Maghoma: no lack of effort but it was very congested. Constantly under pressure.
Phoenix Patterson wide left: looked useful, always looking to get involved.
Bennett wide right: good control, good pace. Constantly being fouled. PSV skipper could have picked up a red for a particularly grizzly challenge that could have broken his leg if he hadn't manage to jump over some of it. In PL or CL, prob a straight red. Switched to left when the subbing started. His run at the end of the match half the length of the pitch for the 2nd, so no shortage of speed or stamina.
Troy P: led the line well, despite being constantly pressured, and continually fouled. He gives the impression of being able to look after himself. Neatly taken goal. Similar to the Eriksen one last night, but was saved because straight at the keeper. Brought others into play well. For such a big lad he can be quick footed surprisingly quick footed in the oppo area.

Oppo: technically good. Sidibe caught the eye 1st half but hardly saw the ball 2nd and was subbed.

I haven't seen a game from ground level for ages, quite forgotten how difficult it can be to keep track of who's who, what's happening and why.
Mr. Statto and I both commented that Rugby Union coaches watch from the stands and can't think why footie coaches dont do it too.

Finally, DerryLennon DerryLennon must have a dictaphone to keep track at these games. Or a PA next to him taking shorthand.

Last edited:
From what I remember, as unlike some others I wasn't taking notes. (one guy I was speaking to was compiling the stats of throw ins yellows etc. It is his job, but still)
Eyoma and Walcott CBs; they both had some uncomfortable moments esp when PSV had their purple patch at the end of the half, but stuck at it. How tall is Walcott? At 16? V good run and header at the near post for the goal, and that superb last ditch save off the line with Austin beaten.
Brown LB. Generally solid, had an unfortunate slip on the turf and picked up a yellow for the resulting grapple.
In goal, Austin had a good game. Some very good saves. One howler of a clearance that hit their attacker point blank and bounced back into his arms. Didn't start booting the ball out of hand till added time. His play with feet (aside from the above howler) was very good. He's obviously practised his weaker foot a lot, so long and accurate left peg too. Made a nice change having experienced Hugo over the years.
Austin was always passing out to the back 4 at every opportunity, some very risky ones too, but they coped well.
Bowden and Harvey W MF. Bowden was subbed in 2nd half, and had much the quieter game, although his corner for the first goal assist. Harvey W I thought had the much better game. Used the ball well, esp 2nd half, and only recall him being caught in possession once towards the end.
Maghoma: no lack of effort but it was very congested. Constantly under pressure.
Bennett wide right: good control, good pace. Constantly being fouled. PSV skipper could have picked up a red for a particularly grizzly challenge that could have broken his leg if he hadn't manage to jump over some of it. In PL or CL, prob a straight red. Switched to left when the subbing started. His run at the end of the match half the length of the pitch for the 2nd, so no shortage of speed or stamina.
Troy P: led the line well, despite being constantly pressured, and continually fouled. He gives the impression of being able to look after himself. Neatly taken goal. Similar to the Eriksen one last night, but was saved because straight at the keeper. Brought others into play well. For such a big lad he can be quick footed surprisingly quick footed in the oppo area.

Oppo: technically good. Sidibe caught the eye 1st half but hardly saw the ball 2nd and was subbed.

I haven't seen a game from ground level for ages, quite forgotten how difficult it can be to keep track of who's who, what's happening and why.
Mr. Statto and I both commented that Rugby Union coaches watch from the stands and can't think why footie coaches dont do it too.

Finally, DerryLennon DerryLennon must have a dictaphone to keep track at these games. Or a PA next to him taking shorthand.

Excellent stuff, thanks. So 4231?

Agree about ground level. I hate it, and always try to sit as high up as possible anywhere.

Thanks for the fantastic summary!

Can confirm DerryLennon DerryLennon takes notes by hand, which is getting more challenging as it gets colder and wetter. I used to do the same and it's really difficult.

Forgot to mention Madueke came on as sub in 2nd half, and looked good the few touches he had. You want the best for the kids as so many don't make it, but it's annoying all the same at one level.

DrgDoCKXQAAlIJE.jpg

England u17 beat Ireland 3-1 today with Cirkin starting at LB and Walcott on the bench (with former Spur Noni Madeke)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom