Spurs Vs PSG

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I watched the first half again. I was a confused first time around as the commentator kept calling GKN Onomah.
As for Onomah. He's put on weight has he not? He's still a bit clumsy though, not aggressive enough and not smart enough either. He needs to go out on loan I reckon and DM is his best position.
KWP is still too small. He is able enough but just not physically ready. Surprised to see TOB playing. He looked capable but his team mates didn't seem to want to give him the ball so it was therefore hard to judge him.
Oh, and I'm highly encouraged by Eriksen's performance. Maybe our best player against PSG.

Seeing all the talk about being impressed but the fringe players...

I'm going to be brutally honest. They were poor when it came to the basics. Dembele and the senior players did too much running filling in gaps they left.

Plus they were suprisingly languid and almost lazy. This is their big chance! Don't they know that? I could not believe how many runners they let glide past them.

I'm going to be kind and say the heat got to them. Our standard players were great. A few slips from Dier but PSG were very dangerous and the chaotic scoeeline could have gone either way.

We desperately need better backup players IMO. They don't have any spark/passion/oomf.

I've been dying to get pace in the team. KWP, Onomah, N Koudou have all this pace but they have terrible instincts.

I'm not going to ignore the cracks because of the score. If it wasn't for Lloris and some brilliant play by the senior players that could have gone south quick.

The gulf in class between them was massive. If they play this season, they will be liabilities. It's too soon for them.

We can't have this crop as our replacements for Eriksen etc. It's been ages since I've wanted an active transfer season and we need signings.

The only thing that's not making me freak out is Dier, Wanyama, Rose etc can play more than one position. But they will need a rest and it's a long season.

I'm worried. I've been upbeat about the last 3 or 4 seasons but I'm worried about this one.

And god damn is it me or did Alli get taller.
If they ripped it up I'm fairly certain you would be saying we can't judge them in a meaningless pre season tournament

Good to see us in action and that so many got a run out... Enjoyable, albeit pretty wacky game so not getting too excited about the idea of beating PSG. Generally, we did what we do well, but looked pretty vulnerable at times (in the first half esp.).

CCV: Yet to be convinced... Gonna be real nervous if we sell Wimmer and don't replace him.
KWP: Thought he looked bright, but may be a little too soon to be relying on him... (See above; only ref: KW).

Hopefully plenty more game time for all Da Yoof over the coming games as, Winks aside, I would like to see a little more from all of them if we are going to rely on any of them as genuine active members of the senior squad this season... In Particular, GKN & Onomah given our Dele/Son/Lamela/Rose(maybe) predicament early doors.

(Kicker is we don't have EL-minnows to break these guys in against anymore and ALL EPL matches are serious business if we are genuine about another title challenge this year...)

That we could likely line up in the CL with only Eriksen + GKN, Onomah or Sissoko remains quite the concern.

People unhappy about players' performances in the first friendly of the season need to give it a rest. Hot conditions, foreign country against a good team and some of our 20 year olds made a few mistakes...big deal. Kwp hasn't played first team football apart from a few other pre-season friendlies, onomah is still out of position and ccv hasn't played in ages. Same goes for blokes like gkn, and TOB has never played at this level before. For what it's worth, neither dele or harry (sure he scored a pen but otherwise both looked rusty) showed much either but no one is giving them a hard time. Would like people to not write our players off so soon.

People unhappy about players' performances in the first friendly of the season need to give it a rest. Hot conditions, foreign country against a good team and some of our 20 year olds made a few mistakes...big deal. Kwp hasn't played first team football apart from a few other pre-season friendlies, onomah is still out of position and ccv hasn't played in ages. Same goes for blokes like gkn, and TOB has never played at this level before. For what it's worth, neither dele or harry (sure he scored a pen but otherwise both looked rusty) showed much either but no one is giving them a hard time. Would like people to not write our players off so soon.
As a famous Geordie once said...."Regardless iv ha wuh played-wuh aaal nee't tuh calm doon an' tek the result. winnin becomes a habit"?

If they ripped it up I'm fairly certain you would be saying we can't judge them in a meaningless pre season tournament

We had just won our opening preseason game when I posted that warning. This was before shipping 6 goals and losing twice.

If we had won 3 games you are right. I would still be cautious and not change my tune. I don't sway due to results. I think we have a fundamental issue (pace) that unless solved (be it with Wanyama/Rose/Son coming back in the short term) or new signings. I'm hoping both happen. But we need pace. Our kids have everything but are too green/soft/inexperienced for this season. Nkoudou is the one I'd use out of all of them. Poch tends to pick one or two academy players to champion/promote. That's healthy but only when winning comfortably/crisis.

Back
Top Bottom