Spurs vs Marseille - 8pm Weds 7th September, at the Nearly full Stadium

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It really wasn’t. He could have taken a CB (Dier) off and played Kilusevski as a WF not a WB, gone 4231 and had the option of an overlapping FB and an inverted WRF on the pitch instead of 3 Cb’s marking one ho hum player. IE one more attacking options one less defensive one against ten men deep block.
We were saying this in the ground but Conte is a total pragmatist and risk averse (unless there's nothing to lose). Even against ten men we still didn't leave a player up when they had a corner at 0-0.

Outside of Charlie, I'm not sure anyone was particularly good tonight, the passing and first touch seemed to be a bit off for everyone.
Son is in a real slump and was lucky to be picked tonight I thought, he's miles off it this season, his set pieces have been terrible too.

Lenglet is a better passer of the ball but when Davies came on he ran at their defence more and committed players which created space. Rom in midfield was disappointing, his crossing was shit and he ignored the useful Kulu once too often I think for Conte's liking, nice to see Tanganga get some minutes.

I thought Gendouzi was decent for them but they were organized but blunt and barely threatened.
We also did something a bit odd tonight which was to push Dier into midfield at some goal kicks and when we were playing out from the back - it didn't really work as we couldn't hold onto the ball long enough to make a difference.

Couple of other things, the ground was pretty full, just a few spaces in the east and west upper, the booing at half time was ridiculous and their fans could do with a good kicking.

Conte is definitely that same back 3 again and wanted to rest both Romero, who is coming back from injury, and Lenglet, who just played 90 at the weekend for his first real minutes of the season.

Tanganga coming on ahead of Sanchez was strange, though. Not sure how to read into that one.
Better on the ball is my explanation and against ten men he was less worried about us conceding perhaps.

Didn't get to watch the game. Surprised to read negativity. Lloris had 1 save to make all game and we won 2-0.

It's a 90-minute game, you don't get extra points for winning the first half.

Ade left the price ticket on his jeans. Looking to do a cheeky refund?

:adeohshit:

3dhIe7d.png
I actually see that a lot now. No idea what the story is with it

My dad always spoke highly of the people of Marseille. He and some of his buddies took a cruise there from North Africa in 1945, and said the people were very friendly. He and his mates were on their way to some kind of a health resort called Battle of the Bulge.
Fair play to him.
Id say marseille is a lot different now for a lot of reasons

I was initially puzzled why Conte made a double substitution to bring in Davies and Tanganga, but I thought it was a tactical masterstroke.

1) It allowed Kulusevski and Perisic to play wider and higher up the pitch. Lenglet and Romero are a tad bit slower, and with the team attempting to take more risk in the higher third, it made more sense to have two CBs that are quicker on the recovery. To be fair, not that much quicker, but at least it allowed all the CBs to press up higher the pitch.

2) Also, if you noticed both goals, Davies was able to be the extra man to be in the box. Whether it was as a decoy (for the first goal), to allow Perisic to be isolated 1v1 with the defender, or for the second goal, where Davies became an extra man in the box for the cross.

So all in all, I'm quite sure the subs were intentionally thought through by Conte and it'll be an interesting tactic moving forward against teams that play the low-block against us.

And oh - another thought. Sonny really needs a confidence booster. His touches were poor, his decision making wasn't the best, and he couldn't really get his shots off. But what I admire about him is his continued desire to make runs for the team, both from an attacking and defensive point of view.

Reminds me of a certain player last season who had a poor season leading up to the game with Man City and played a worldie... calling it out first - Son to play a blinder against Man City and scoring a brace!

Lay off son, if that's any that's poor its kane.

His selfishness is not helping the team, he had many opportunities to pass but he chose to shoot.

One good chance in the first half of he had crossed for Hojberg

I hope I am not coming across as negative but we are due a loss with the way we have been playing and then I think everyone will say 'I have been saying we have not been great! This is Mourinho/Nuno football and it's unsustainable, bla bla bla'

I think Son needs to be benched for City too.

For a neutral, that was a boring game and a couple of moments of brilliance from Richarlison solved it.

The good news is I don't ever feel like we will really concede. We are that solid across midfield and at the back. Emerson is solid and we need to stop getting on his back, imo and trust me, I was one of his biggest haters (I.e. get him off!!). He is improving going forward and at least keeping the ball. Yes, the crosses need to improve but every game so far he has put in a couple of decent crosses, in fairness to him.

Saying this however, there have been a couple of times this season where I think we were lucky not to concede (when Ben Davies misshit the clearance with that low cross into the box yesterday was one example). Eventually, a team will finish those and the game will spin on it's head and we will have to play from behind.

Anyway - another 3 points. That's 17 out of a possible 21 to start the season. That's an incredible return.

Was I the only person who thought it was hilarious when Conte was tapping his left wrist about wasting time when his watch was on his right wrist?
Maybe that's why some of the Marseille fans attempted to throw him theirs!!

Still don't get why you'd throw your own fucking WATCH... unless it flew off accidentally while you were throwing summit else??
Now that's funny!

"don't understimate marseille"
it is what tottenham has done yesterday, and the victory has come.
they are a very good team and tudor is a great coach (to be attentioned for when conte....)

Back
Top Bottom