Spurs vs Chelsea. 6 Nov 8pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Dier looked good last night , is it because he isn’t forced to play a low block ?
Don’t get me wrong we need someone better in Jan but he isn’t as bad as I remembered him to be from last season!

Dier looked good last night , is it because he isn’t forced to play a low block ?
Don’t get me wrong we need someone better in Jan but he isn’t as bad as I remembered him to be from last season!
Showtime Chicago GIF by The Chi

I always thought it was Absinthe 😃

what bit did he look good at? all i saw was him struggling to chase chelsea players that were quicker than him?

Probably a mix of him having a decent game and Chelsea needing a millions chances.

He's not good enough a defender to play low block, not being under pressure for 90% of the game helps not highlighting his deficiencies, but his lack of pace will cause us issues

Can't agree on this one.
Let's be real he was already on a life with the kicking out, I've seen those given as reds. For me he was reckless.
You can't claim it's a hit job when him and Udogie has already been given a life each. Both could have gone in the first instance.
And if you really think it's an agenda against us from officials since the scouse game then surely that's even more reason to not do anything petulant?
Any benefit of the doubt went against him in this challenge because five minutes before he unnecessarily kicked a player off the ball. Var didn’t punish him for it but all grace was used up. That’s why he must take blsme for being sent off. But the challenge he was sent off for, in isolation, it just wasn’t a red, imo. So we can feel a bit annoyed about that.

Udogie rightly got two yellows. He will learn from it, when on a yellow you can’t dive in like that. Especially when you team us already down to 10. Also needs to learn not to two footed challenge even though he got away with it.

Bravest performance from a Spurs team that I can remember. Absolutely magnificent.

Make no mistake we take much much out of that game than Chelsea. They get 3 points but that is the sort of performance that brings a whole club together.

Intentionally touched by Chelsea means offside not in play?
I don’t know the offside rule enough anymore as changes all the time but fact hits Chelsea man after and it’s that momentum takes to bentacour doesn’t that make it onside 🤷🏻‍♂️

So in real terms it should have been given as it wasn’t clear whether Bentancur touched it or a defender did!

Officials seemed determined to ensure a Chav win!

Ref Oliver had a mare but was probably following orders!

Lost a bit of weight too?

Scored a good goal imv

This photo is an example of how we got things wrong - even if you support the notion of carrying on with the high line with 9 men.

You need to pressure the passers, not all line up on the half way line.

uploading pictures

The thing I don't understand is that we've seen us drop a bit deeper in other games and pull results out. Why in this game did it become so important that we camped on the halfway line?

For those that disagree with me, and I know that's lots, here's an article supporting their view:

When Ange Postecoglou took over as Tottenham Hotspur head coach this summer, we were told again and again that he simply would not compromise. Whatever the situation, he would continue to play in the same way. His almost evangelical devotion to his principles of football means he simply sees no other option.

At times on Monday, it felt as though the game against Chelsea was designed to test Postecoglou’s idealism.

Spurs were down to nine men and the centre of their defence was made up of Eric Dier and Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg. That’s one centre-back who hadn’t played a minute all season and isn’t known for his pace, alongside a reserve defensive midfielder playing out of position.

By this point, Tottenham had had two players sent off and lost two of their stars — Micky van de Ven and James Maddison — to injury.

But Postecoglou didn’t do the typical thing in this scenario of instructing his team to dig in and drop deep to try to snatch a draw. Instead, he doubled down, asking Hojbjerg and Dier to push up to the halfway line to try to squeeze the space, standing roughly in a line with five of Spurs’ six other defenders.

It was an extraordinary spectacle.

In the 68th minute, Chelsea finally worked out how to spring the trap. Despite having four players in an offside position, Marc Cucurella timed his run well from a deeper position and had a shot saved.

The freeze-frame of Tottenham’s defensive line feels symbolic of Postecoglou’s Spurs and his principles more generally. Front-footed, bold, unconventional.

2b8bda46-63aa-48bc-9100-9ab21cf1ff3f-1.jpg

Just after that chance, Postecoglou called Dier over and reiterated the message that he and Hojbjerg should keep pushing up to the halfway line.

“It’s just who we are, mate,” Postecoglou explained after the game. “As long as I’m here, that’s what we’re going to do. Even with five men, we’ll have a go.”

Eventually, Chelsea worked out how to expose Spurs’ high line and ran in three late goals to seal a 4-1 win. Though the game-settling third in the 94th minute came just after Son Heung-min had very nearly equalised, Dier had a goal ruled out for a tight offside and Rodrigo Bentancur just failed to turn in a cross from close range. For a team with nine men, Spurs were remarkably in the game — even deep into stoppage time.

How, then, do we assess an extraordinary match? Encouraging proof of Postecoglou’s commitment to his principles, or evidence of his and his team’s limitations?

Well, first of all, Spurs were likely to lose this game however they had approached it once they were down to nine men, with the score at 1-1 and only 55 minutes played.

And given those circumstances, there are a lot of positives.

For a start, Postecoglou has shown to his players that he believes wholeheartedly in what he is preaching to them. At Brisbane Roar and Celtic, there were equivalent early games that went disastrously but were subsequently cited as being crucial in both teams’ development, uniting them and crystallising some of his messages. At Roar, it was a 3-0 defeat to Melbourne Victory in September 2010. Then, at Celtic, there was a home 4-0 defeat to Bayer Leverkusen in September 2021, a few months after the Australian had taken over.

GO DEEPER
'The mood has been transformed' - what Postecoglou changed in first 100 days at Spurs

Both of those games were held up as evidence of Postecoglou’s naivety and stubbornness; both of those seasons finished with Postecoglou’s sides winning the title. He has spoken previously about how it’s in tough moments that you learn the most about yourself and your team.

Monday night may end up having a similarly galvanising effect. The mood in the Spurs dressing room after the game was one of defiance and pride in continuing to play their way. The reaction of the crowd was similar, cheering the team as if they had just scored a goal when they had conceded the game-settling third. Despite the scoreline, it was another night that strengthened the bond between the players and the fans, as well as the players and the manager and the fans and the manager.

And that matters in maintaining the momentum of Postecoglou’s excellent start.

Spurs can take a lot from what happened after 55 minutes, but they also need to reflect on how they put themselves in such a hopeless position.

Destiny Udogie and Cristian Romero could have been sent off for straight red cards in the first 22 minutes and even the normally calm Postecoglou was booked in the first half for stepping outside his technical area to express his frustration.

Following that early reprieve, Romero was sent off soon after for a foul on Enzo Fernandez, while Udogie took a needless risk in picking up his second yellow card when he slid in to try to win a ball that was out of his reach.

On a night that required cool heads, Romero lost his early on and didn’t even nearly relocate it before getting himself sent off. Among all of this, Postecoglou will be frustrated that before Spurs lost their discipline, they looked like they might run away with the game after Dejan Kulusevski’s early opener.

The result is deflating and could have serious longer-term consequences depending on the severity of Maddison and Van de Ven’s injuries, but Spurs’ performance also served to strengthen the clarity of Postecoglou’s message. Nothing will divert him from playing the way he believes will achieve sustainable success for this team.

Or, in other words, “It’s just who we are, mate.”

This photo is an example of how we got things wrong - even if you support the notion of carrying on with the high line with 9 men.

You need to pressure the passers, not all line up on the half way line.

uploading pictures

The thing I don't understand is that we've seen us drop a bit deeper in other games and pull results out. Why in this game did it become so important that we camped on the halfway line?

For those that disagree with me, and I know that's lots, here's an article supporting their view:

When Ange Postecoglou took over as Tottenham Hotspur head coach this summer, we were told again and again that he simply would not compromise. Whatever the situation, he would continue to play in the same way. His almost evangelical devotion to his principles of football means he simply sees no other option.

At times on Monday, it felt as though the game against Chelsea was designed to test Postecoglou’s idealism.

Spurs were down to nine men and the centre of their defence was made up of Eric Dier and Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg. That’s one centre-back who hadn’t played a minute all season and isn’t known for his pace, alongside a reserve defensive midfielder playing out of position.

By this point, Tottenham had had two players sent off and lost two of their stars — Micky van de Ven and James Maddison — to injury.

But Postecoglou didn’t do the typical thing in this scenario of instructing his team to dig in and drop deep to try to snatch a draw. Instead, he doubled down, asking Hojbjerg and Dier to push up to the halfway line to try to squeeze the space, standing roughly in a line with five of Spurs’ six other defenders.

It was an extraordinary spectacle.

In the 68th minute, Chelsea finally worked out how to spring the trap. Despite having four players in an offside position, Marc Cucurella timed his run well from a deeper position and had a shot saved.

The freeze-frame of Tottenham’s defensive line feels symbolic of Postecoglou’s Spurs and his principles more generally. Front-footed, bold, unconventional.

2b8bda46-63aa-48bc-9100-9ab21cf1ff3f-1.jpg

Just after that chance, Postecoglou called Dier over and reiterated the message that he and Hojbjerg should keep pushing up to the halfway line.

“It’s just who we are, mate,” Postecoglou explained after the game. “As long as I’m here, that’s what we’re going to do. Even with five men, we’ll have a go.”

Eventually, Chelsea worked out how to expose Spurs’ high line and ran in three late goals to seal a 4-1 win. Though the game-settling third in the 94th minute came just after Son Heung-min had very nearly equalised, Dier had a goal ruled out for a tight offside and Rodrigo Bentancur just failed to turn in a cross from close range. For a team with nine men, Spurs were remarkably in the game — even deep into stoppage time.

How, then, do we assess an extraordinary match? Encouraging proof of Postecoglou’s commitment to his principles, or evidence of his and his team’s limitations?

Well, first of all, Spurs were likely to lose this game however they had approached it once they were down to nine men, with the score at 1-1 and only 55 minutes played.

And given those circumstances, there are a lot of positives.

For a start, Postecoglou has shown to his players that he believes wholeheartedly in what he is preaching to them. At Brisbane Roar and Celtic, there were equivalent early games that went disastrously but were subsequently cited as being crucial in both teams’ development, uniting them and crystallising some of his messages. At Roar, it was a 3-0 defeat to Melbourne Victory in September 2010. Then, at Celtic, there was a home 4-0 defeat to Bayer Leverkusen in September 2021, a few months after the Australian had taken over.

GO DEEPER
'The mood has been transformed' - what Postecoglou changed in first 100 days at Spurs

Both of those games were held up as evidence of Postecoglou’s naivety and stubbornness; both of those seasons finished with Postecoglou’s sides winning the title. He has spoken previously about how it’s in tough moments that you learn the most about yourself and your team.

Monday night may end up having a similarly galvanising effect. The mood in the Spurs dressing room after the game was one of defiance and pride in continuing to play their way. The reaction of the crowd was similar, cheering the team as if they had just scored a goal when they had conceded the game-settling third. Despite the scoreline, it was another night that strengthened the bond between the players and the fans, as well as the players and the manager and the fans and the manager.

And that matters in maintaining the momentum of Postecoglou’s excellent start.

Spurs can take a lot from what happened after 55 minutes, but they also need to reflect on how they put themselves in such a hopeless position.

Destiny Udogie and Cristian Romero could have been sent off for straight red cards in the first 22 minutes and even the normally calm Postecoglou was booked in the first half for stepping outside his technical area to express his frustration.

Following that early reprieve, Romero was sent off soon after for a foul on Enzo Fernandez, while Udogie took a needless risk in picking up his second yellow card when he slid in to try to win a ball that was out of his reach.

On a night that required cool heads, Romero lost his early on and didn’t even nearly relocate it before getting himself sent off. Among all of this, Postecoglou will be frustrated that before Spurs lost their discipline, they looked like they might run away with the game after Dejan Kulusevski’s early opener.

The result is deflating and could have serious longer-term consequences depending on the severity of Maddison and Van de Ven’s injuries, but Spurs’ performance also served to strengthen the clarity of Postecoglou’s message. Nothing will divert him from playing the way he believes will achieve sustainable success for this team.

Or, in other words, “It’s just who we are, mate.”
Can you run that by my one more time....

About last night..........................

It is impossible and there's absolutely no point in dissecting the game.

The only thing that's worth talking about is how I (we) feel. I love this Club, this team, this manager. The fans last night were also just superb, everyone still in their seats believing we could still get something out of this game and we so nearly did. But because we felt it, it meant we stayed, didn't give up on the team and clapped the boys off the pitch at the end of the game. Everyone at the stadium and I assume the millions watching the game at home and in pubs no doubt feels the same, a deep bond has been forged last night.

In all of my years, I have never seen a team play the way we did last night, and I fucking loved it!! Last night we became one, cemented in an ethos of how every fan wished their team played. No cowards, total commitment to the cause, to the philosophy of how the manager wants to play regardless. We learnt who our players are last night, who our manager is and the players learnt about us too.

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/CzUpRXMNVlR/?img_index=1

And even if this wasn't enough Ange'e post-match comments about respecting the refs decision is being applauded by all commentators of the game around the globe, whilst Woolwich compile a list of decisions that haven't gone their way for the past 10yrs to present to PGMOL Ange makes them look like utter cunts with his words.

One of our most famous quotes: “It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. At Spurs we set our sights very high, so that even failure will have in it an echo of glory". This gets chucked around by many (including myself), usually as an anecdote to what we didn't see on the pitch but tonight we went home with an echo of glory.

Absolutely this.

Yeah we lost the points, yeah we've lost important players for a while, yeah it was Chelsea.

But you're absolutely right - what we were lucky enough to witness last night was extraordinary.

The effort from the players was monumental, they did things that broke mental and will to win barriers and will make them realise just how far they can push themselves, how much they can achieve through sheer effort and determination and desire.

We're at the beginning of all this remember - we've got a long way to go before we have the squad we want and need - but what Ange has done is extraordinary. He's got the players doing things we couldn't have dreamed of, working their balls off, running through brick walls and all while playing a brand of football that is exhilarating and entertaining. To nearly sneak a 2-2 was unbelievable and it would've been deserved, to have 3 chances at it was extraordinary with 9 players.

Yes there's lots to be done, we don't need daft individual mistakes and decisions and players losing their heads but the connection and appreciation from fans to players and back again was something I've rarely seen after a loss to hated rivals. It was a genuinely moving moment, a joining together in spirit that going forward can only be a positive.

I'm glad I was there to witness it - the result in time will be pushed to one side but the spirit and desire are the most important takeaway from this game and it only bodes well for the season and beyond.

Well done Spurs - yesterday you did something extraordinary and you did us proud.

Also...

We weren't getting a draw by defending the edge of the box for 45 minutes with 9 men and only 1 CB. Not a chance.

I think Ange used this situation to see what his players were made of, to push them to try harder, to not make excuses, to stick to the ethos, to get on with it and not give up.

It was unbelievable stuff and to get 3 chances with 9 and come so close to a draw with so much effort is much bigger than the 3 points. Now the players realise what they can be capable of....that's worth it's weight going forward.

Back
Top Bottom