Spurs vs Chelsea. 6 Nov 8pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If you are at the stage that you didn’t cheer to the fucking heavens when Son and Dier “scored”, then aye, you should consider if you still enjoy this or not.

Honestly cannot comprehend anything other than wild celebrations when we put the ball in the net. Couldn’t contemplate keeping quiet in case a goal is ruled out.
Mate, I went MENTAL at both, then felt a complete IDIOT when both weren't given...

Then felt convinced ONE of theirs wouldn't be given... then felt a complete twat when both of them were!

So PLEASE, don't tell me what I was supposed to feel!

I felt elation, and dejection, and euphoria, and disappointment, In equal measure... In the space of 100+ minutes... Like ALL of us!

See, THAT'S my conundrum!

That was a bit of a train wreck game but jeez it was still fun to watch, dumb, reckless, brave, almost, didn't, shame to see a few players lose composure and discipline so easily, some crazy across goal lotto play and then cool to see quite a few others who held it and stepped up, tough games coming up with the 3 best defenders out and Dier and Phillips as CBs?

Tonight was shit.,..

Even Ange can't wrap it up into something palatable...

But if he CAN, then fuck it, we've won the league already!!!

I hope we are not going to have too much of the "battle of the bridge" "proud of the boys" bullshit tonight. That was a night of idiocy and incompetence when we pissed away a 2 goal lead when we had a potential title to play for. This was also a night with a lot at stake featuring a fair bit of idiocy.

That first twenty minutes was possibly the hardest 20 minutes I've seen anyone give Chelsea this season. They are a team who want to press high, but clearly haven't got it working super cohesively - like Woolwich did to us first half - in many ways they were playing like the ideal opponent, someone who we could suck out to us and then play round/through. We were in total control. Scored a slightly fortuitous goal and then had a fantastic team goal chalked off (rightly) for a marginal offside (Son's got to work on this playing as a 9) and looked really at it.

Then comes the idiocy. I think Romero is actually a bit unlucky with the red/pen - I don't think it was malicious or even reckless, he was just stretching and trying to put a desperate hard whack on the ball because it was a dangerous situation and giving a good whack would hopefully clear danger once and for all. The idiocy was him kicking their bloke a few minutes before. The idiocy was some of our actual play and defending leading up to that moment, where we'd just total lost our heads and were doing stupid schoolboy stuff. Like Porro trying a stupid first time half volley cross field pass that sets them on an attack. Like their two offside goals. Like both of Udogie's stupid challenges.

And, as much as I/we have all been loving Ange instead, keeping that high line once Romero and especially VDV had gone was daft IMO. Playing it and not pressuring the pass was suicidal and in the end it was a miracle that wasn't a cricket score. Even if he didn't want to park a bus, he could have just dropped it 20 yards. I think at 1-1 with 20 minutes to go, 9 men, we could definitely back the fuck up, try to protect ourselves and maybe nick something.

I'm wholeheartedly behind Ange's methodology, but fuck me, there's game management too. 9 men and you're two quick CB's off the pitch against Chelsea, maybe a smidge of pragmatism might pay off.

I'm sure some will disagree.

I don't disagree and as an advocate of high line, grip it and rip it football I do agree that after VDV left the pitch a deeper block made sense, especially at 9 men.

You play with the tools at your disposal and our tools simply didn't allow for a high line... I do admire what Ange was doing by sticking to it which is setting out a standard in our team.... we play this way, get used to it nothing changes even if circumstances alter. He used the game to stamp his mark on philosophy rather than rational compromise and I really admire that, although it could look foolish if we lose Micky for a few months as if he does that tonight he needs to keep doing it moving forward... if he drops deep due to personnel in weeks ahead then it was all for what?

Romero does need to be the adult and tonight he wasn't. Unlucky with the red but rash, headstrong and ultimately we needed wisdom and he gave us madness. Love that in him but there's a time and a place and tonight wasn't it.

We showed huge heart but also immaturity at times, I hope with the intelligence and hunger in the team that tonights game will be used to develop level heads. We could have been down to 9 men twice over in the game, we battled with our bodies more than our minds, let's find a middle ground as we move forward now.

A young, bold, happy team, it just needs some sensible moments to help bad moments become damage limitation and not carnage.

Last season we leaked goals like a sieve playing low block football, what makes anyone think that today’s result would’ve been any better if we took that approach after going down to 9 men? Let alone with our backline being Porro, Dier and Royal.

Fuck the script writers.

That was just a ruined spectacle.

They were already having a go at us 11
V 11 and we were carving them open as well.

Could have been game of the season.

Now it’s just a massive win for City and Newcastle with their dodgy Corrupt owners.

Get home safe fella. :tanguythumb:

Fucking twats, imagine winning 4-1 and still needing to satisfy your inferiority complex so badly you go looking for a scrap on our Manor straight after
Hope you are OK and they got more than they gave!!
CUNTS
I'm unscathed although a few of theirs weren't. Seemed like there were a few skirmishes along the high road after the game.

No idea where plod were. Hoping they start doing the European game thing and just keep them in the ground 20 mins after the game. Surely someone has to see some common sense there.

The proof of Levy's intent for this team that is still under construction will be in January.

Red card's aside, we don't know how long Micky and Madders will be out, but for sure Bentancur will help fill Madders role but Dier?

After that we have who?

Onwards and upwards but now is the time that Levy has to put all his chips on the table.

I don't disagree and as an advocate of high line, grip it and rip it football I do agree that after VDV left the pitch a deeper block made sense, especially at 9 men.

You play with the tools at your disposal and our tools simply didn't allow for a high line... I do admire what Ange was doing by sticking to it which is setting out a standard in our team.... we play this way, get used to it nothing changes even if circumstances alter. He used the game to stamp his mark on philosophy rather than rational compromise and I really admire that, although it could look foolish if we lose Micky for a few months as if he does that tonight he needs to keep doing it moving forward... if he drops deep due to personnel in weeks ahead then it was all for what?

Romero does need to be the adult and tonight he wasn't. Unlucky with the red but rash, headstrong and ultimately we needed wisdom and he gave us madness. Love that in him but there's a time and a place and tonight wasn't it.

We showed huge heart but also immaturity at times, I hope with the intelligence and hunger in the team that tonights game will be used to develop level heads. We could have been down to 9 men twice over in the game, we battled with our bodies more than our minds, let's find a middle ground as we move forward now.

A young, bold, happy team, it just needs some sensible moments to help bad moments become damage limitation and not carnage.
Nice balanced post this.

Very much agree with this.

Too often we play the occasion against our big rivals, mainly Woolwich and Chavs.
But this was one game where we didn't need to.

Read so many posts before, during and after the game about hating Chavs. Narrative before the game was all about Poch. But from what I saw previously of them and this game too they look poor. Spent a billion and a new manager and look exactly like a bunch of strangers thrown together.
And for that reason we didn't need to pay the occasion in this game. We were in good form, playing well. All we had to do was treat it like any other game 11 v 11, beat them, take the 3 points and move on to the next game.
This could have a been a regulation win if we just kept our composure. The flash point that started the demise was the yellow to Udogie, everything before that showed we would have beaten them comfortably.

Udogie in trying to keep the counterpress up went diving in but it required a cool head to just be goal side. He didn't have to come hurtling in there. The stoppage and VAR review there killed our early momentum and then we went into a crazy phase of the game trying to play out from the back and giving the ball away cheaply.

I didn't see the Romero kick out but his lack of discipline epitomised playing the occasion. I knew it from the start that something was going to happen. Upon scoring our goal, he ran past our players to celebrate in front of the Chelsea fans to wind them up. I knew from that moment he was going to be involved in something stupid at some point in the game. If Ange is a good man manager then he pulls Romero to the side and either gives him hair dryer treatment or tries to explain to him what he did was a dereliction of duty as one of the leadership group. He then makes Romero apologise to the other players and staff too. Same with Udogie. On balance thought Porro was poor and Deki could have been better with hold up play. Son ran his socks off trying to press even at 4-1 in 96 mins was still pressing. Emerson did ok at CB and LB.

Thought hojbjerg was excellent filling in at LCB. Dier was good too, both were shafted by the suicidal high line without any speed. There's high line and then there's what we did which was basically halfway line. We needed to drop another 15 yards and still kept it high enough for Vicario to sweep.

Tactically you could say naive or sticking to principles. However if Chelsea were any good they would have exposed that high line much more ruthlessly and earlier. A better opposition goes 4-1 up inside 60 mins and then everyone says the high line is stupid.

In extraordinary circumstances you have to reassess the situation and maybe move away from your principles. That's not a bad thing. Going back to when we first signed Ange my doubt was always can he be adaptable in certain situations. If he and us are to mix it with the elite then we need to be more streetwise and flexible with how we approach games. The irony is that the downfall of the manager in the opposition dugout was his stubbornness.

Despite all this there is a togetherness and commitment in this squad. The fans appreciate it. Lots of people stayed behind to applaud them off. Everyone is pulling in the same direction which shows there is potential there. We need to start maturing, being composed, and more streetwise. The team is young and supremely fit. To be able to run like that with 9 men and still try to press at 98 mins proves that. We are the fittest team in the league. We just need a bit more depth in the squad starting from January. I was hoping we could get to Jan unscathed but always unlikely. But it's a next man up mentality from now on.

Last but not least, Vicario was unreal. It's always been said that Italians celebrate defensive actions as much as a goal if not more. I saw first hand what they meant by that in Vicario today. He was apoplectic with the outfield players after conceding the second and third goals. It matters to him and that's why the fans stayed behind to show their appreciation.

Last edited:
Nice balanced post this.

Very much agree with this.

Too often we play the occasion against our big rivals, mainly Woolwich and Chavs.
But this was one game where we didn't need to.

Read so many posts before, during and after the game about hating Chavs. Narrative before the game was all about Poch. But from what I saw previously of them and this game too they look poor. Spent a billion and a new manager and look exactly like a bunch of strangers thrown together.
And for that reason we didn't need to pay the occasion in this game. We were in good form, playing well. All we had to do was treat it like any other game 11 v 11, beat them, take the 3 points and move on to the next game.
This could have a been a regulation win if we just kept our composure. The flash point that started the demise was the yellow to Udogie, everything before that showed we would have beaten them comfortably.

Udogie in trying to keep the counterpress up went diving in but it required a cool head to just be goal side. He didn't have to come hurtling in there. The stoppage and VAR review there killed our early momentum and then we went into a crazy phase of the game trying to play out from the back and giving the ball away cheaply.

I didn't see the Romero kick out but his lack of discipline epitomised playing the occasion. I knew it from the start that something was going to happen. Upon scoring our goal, he ran past our players to celebrate in front of the Chelsea fans to wind them up. I knew from that moment he was going to be involved in something stupid at some point in the game. If Ange is a good man manager then he pulls Romero to the side and either gives him hair dryer treatment or tries to explain to him what he did was a dereliction of duty as one of the leadership group. He then makes Romero apologise to the other players and staff too. Same with Udogie. On balance thought Porro was poor and Deki could have been better with hold up play. Son ran his socks off trying to press even at 4-1 in 96 mins was still pressing. Emerson did ok at CB and LB.

Thought hojbjerg was excellent filling in at LCB. Dier was good too, both were shafted by the suicidal high line without any speed. There's high line and then there's what we did which was basically halfway line. We needed to drop another 15 yards and still kept it high enough for Vicario to sweep.

Tactically you could say naive or sticking to principles. However if Chelsea were any good they would have exposed that high line much more ruthlessly and earlier. A better opposition goes 4-1 up inside 60 mins and then everyone says the high line is stupid.

In extraordinary circumstances you have to reassess the situation and maybe move away from your principles. That's not a bad thing. Going back to when we first signed Ange my doubt was always can he be adaptable in certain situations. If he and us are to mix it with the elite then we need to be more streetwise and flexible with how we approach games. The irony is that the downfall of the manager in the opposition dugout was his stubbornness.

Before Romeros kick out, ref allowed Silva to make an ice hockey body charge to take him out. Would have been a foul in Rugby to go in like that with no attempt to bind your arms. Can cause whiplash.

Fuck being balanced about. Fuck the corruption and the way they protect the same established order of things.

Romero gets smashed about every week. Clattered in the air, kicked all over the shop.

How many bad tackles did Palinha get away with? Palace must have set a record for tactical fouls without a yellow.

As soon as we scored Chelsea were allowed to get away with murder.

👏👏

even with VDV on it would of been a huge struggle even with 10. udogie sending off was a 3 on 2 with him and dier, even if dier is VDV there hes outnumbered and his pace means nothing.

Before Romeros kick out, ref allowed Silva to make an ice hockey body charge to take him out. Would have been a foul in Rugby to go in like that with no attempt to bind your arms. Can cause whiplash.

Fuck being balanced about. Fuck the corruption and the way they protect the same established order of things.

Romero gets smashed about every week. Clattered in the air, kicked all over the shop.

How many bad tackles did Palinha get away with? Palace must have set a record for tactical fouls without a yellow.

Romero's got away with plenty this season.

I can’t believe that there was no call on that hit in Romero. He just took him down from behind, and it’s a foul at least, if not a yellow?

I can’t believe that there was no call on that hit in Romero. He just took him down from behind, and it’s a foul at least, if not a yellow?

As soon as we scored he changed the way he reffed the game,

Mudryk should have been booked twice before he finally went late on Vicario. And ti say that’s ok because the studs were down??!

What a joke. Could he have pulled out of the challenge earlier? Yes. Did he clearly follow through into Vicario? Yes.

Then there is James on Udogie with the elbow.

Maybe playing further up the pitch will help our new cb pairing of dier and holjberg in the next few games. No choice but to see how it goes, last season we played too close to our own goal so at least by attacking we face less time defending.
Johnson looked good for the little time he has played.

A lot of criticism of the high line - but we were still in the game right up until the 94th minute. I'd even argue that Jackson's 75th minute goal was a clear offside. He (clearly) affected play from an offside position; and never got back into an onside position before scoring the goal.

Had Dier not been 2cm offside, we would all be singing Ange's praise as the best coach in the world making brave decisions.

Should we have parked the bus and camped out in our 18 yard box? With Dier the only CB on the pitch? You think we would have kept them from scoring?

Back
Top Bottom