Spurs v Lyon

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Once again we saw how poor the decision not to get in a striker is likely to prove. Hope I'm wrong but it could cost us a trophy, and maybe CL too.

One of Ade or Clint is going to have to step up to the plate.

Here's hoping the rest will have done JD good as he was struggling too before his latest injury.
In the meantime we have to get Holtby in, IMHO, so at least we can control midfield more.

just got home, enjoyed the first half in terms of how close it was, second half I thought both sides were poor. By that I mean, in terms of what is expected of them they didn't live up to it much. That could be down to Lyon seeming happy to play for the draw.

That aside our best players today in order of worst best to best for me, were; Assou-Ekotto, Dembele, Walker, Vertonghen and Gallas. I thought Gallas was superb tonight, did not put a foot wrong all game, applied himself and fought for every ball. Yeah his headed clearance lead to their goal, but he cleared the ball in what is usually a safe place. I had my doubts about him starting, but I'm more then happy that he proved me wrong and ecstatic that he proved that he still has point to prove at THFC. For their goal, initially (after I realised it didn't hit the side net) I blamed Friedel's positioning, but upon watching it back I don't think anyone is to blame for what a tremendous strike from a full back who probably won't score a goal as good as that again in his career. No one expected a goal from that position. Other then that Friedel made a great save 5 or so minutes after that, but otherwise he was pretty much untested, which again was very promising

I could explain our contributions in terms of attacking play, but then I realised the one sentence I could sum it up with would require more effort then what was shown tonight. We seemed clueless and looked like a team that had been put together at the last minute, especially in the 2nd half.

Adebayor...since Hossam Ghali I have never been so ashamed to see to a player pull on the Spurs shirt as tonight. Got involved when he felt like it and when he did try to involve himself, it seemed as if his plan was 'If I play kiss chase with the man marking me, whilst sticking out my leg towards the general direction of where the ball is people may think I'm tyring my hardest.'

I'm sorry the Adebayor we see now compared to the Adebayor we saw last season is completely different.

Overall I really enjoyed tonight and it continues my 18 year unbeaten run and everytime I am in block 31 not only do we win, but it is a memorable game for me. COYS!!!

forgot to add something which it seems not a lot have commented on and that is I thought Gylfi was brilliant when he came on. Thought it was a strange sub when he was replaced for Lennon but he played some fantastic football. I really hope he kicks on from here

funny old game. atmosphere was non existent for me (looking forward tonight to counter balance that)
still, playing ok and winning cant be a bad thing.
out there's gonna be even more tense.

Can Holtby play on the left of a front 3 behind the striker?

For me the reason Deuce is still starting games is so Bale can interchange with him during the game. With Deuce playing Gareth can easily change between 'Classic Bale' on the left and 'New Bale' centrally behind the striker, without AVB having to make a substitution.

Are we still defending Ade ? Might as well played with 10 men tonight. Can't rely on the soon to be sold Bale forever. Don't even go there with the service card. Thoughts please.
Maria and Gaz, you are disagreeing with what exactly, did you even watch the game, as other people have posted, Ade needs to step up, like a headless chicken last night, too slow and it has nothing to do with match fitness. I admire his work rate, but that's not what he gets paid megabucks for.:avbfacepalm:

Maria and Gaz, you are disagreeing with what exactly, did you even watch the game, as other people have posted, Ade needs to step up, like a headless chicken last night, too slow and it has nothing to do with match fitness. I admire his work rate, but that's not what he gets paid megabucks for.:avbfacepalm:

yes I did watch the game a 3 hr round trip (ooh get me) and you ?
soon to be sold bale? says who?
might as well have played with 10 men? lazy comment

a lot of people need to step up. you single out Ade. (dunno what's his price to to do with it)
frieddel, lennon non existant. benny mugged off one of theirs good and proper but apparently he was our worst player? gallas was great but gave the ball to their goal?

we won but as always people look to find fault with players they don't like

AVB-EXCITEMENT.gif

his face before it goes in.

It's probably the crushing negativity of your post.....

Are we still defending Ade ? Might as well played with 10 men tonight. Can't rely on the soon to be sold Bale forever. Don't even go there with the service card. Thoughts please.

For one, I'm not exactly sure what Adebayor did to annoy you last night, in a very tight game that was settled by 3 wonder goals I'm not sure he was ever going to get a hat trick. You say yourself you admire his work rate, and in a game like last nights that's pretty much all you can ask for from a player like Ade.
Then the main thrust of your post seems to be dampening everyone's good mood of the evening by telling us all our goalscorer and best player is "soon to be sold."

:balesnarl:

There seems quite a bit to disagree with there to be honest.

Walker, Dembele, Parker, BAE, Dempsey, Adebayor all seem a bit off form recently. What's going on?

Back
Top Bottom