Spurs bottom of the Premier League Net Spend Table for last 5 seasons

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That comparison is ridiculous. Cos` every season your talking about they qualified for the champions league and also finished above us. So they were still achieving. We aint.
Two years before the Goons moved into the Emirates they won the league undefeated. Consistently finishing 4th without spending too much was bare minimum for them. Here we are with a model that allows us to develop promising players and sell them for profit thereby allowing us to buy more promising players and keep us at (and above) our sixth place minimum. It's been 4 seasons since we spent more than we sold, but we're still continually playing European football and in the hunt for the Champions League.
Are you implying we're busy saving the 400m as a lump sum to pay in cash upfront?

:dawsonlol:

With all due respect, take some time and think about that for a few minutes.
No. That's not what I'm implying at all. Making more money now will enable us to pay off the new stadium faster though. Obviously.
whats the latest estimate on that? -just so we can add 3 years, to work out the date it will actually be ready.
According to Wiki we've announced we'll move in ahead of the 2017/18 season.

And cheers to sammyspurs sammyspurs and Millbanks Millbanks for their excellent contributions to this thread.

i see what you're saying. the didn't go all in for quality in an identified area of the team. but, hindsight is also 20/20

It's only hindsight about how close we were time after time, it was perfectly obvious to us all clamouring for specific acquisitions at those specific times what we needed and we didn't get it.....shock horror it cost us again, then again, then again.

Astute businessmen like Lewis and Levy learn from a mistake like that once, maybe twice but, wouldn't be where or who they are if they made it 3-4 times . Therefore it is reasonable to assume they have actually been generally content with the balance sheets and club position regardless of CL. Sacking managers has helped create scapegoats and endless periods of transition to deflect from this as most fans just want success on the pitch no matter what. Albeit some are content with taking part, punching your own weight only and prudence before risk and glory, most are not happy with that attitude.

My point is that we should be content with our position. So many people are acting as if it is a simple job to make that jump into the top four every year when that isn't the case. We all remember when Spurs were a fallen giant under the arse end of Sugar's reign. We were mid-table, looking to finish in the top ten, knowing that a bad season could see us battling to stay in the league.

It was hard work but over the last decade this club has moved from that to being a European main stay, challenging for fourth every year. Just think about a player today being given the option of coming to Spurs or Newcastle. 10-15 years ago they would have gone up north, now there is no competition.

Unfortunately there is still a gap to the clubs above us, and that gap takes time and investment to bridge, just as the gap between ourselves and the likes of Newcastle and Villa took. We can compete with them, but they have advantages we can't match on or off the pitch. We need to continue with our current plan of growing the club because, looking at the success and momentum we have shown, it is working. Spurs have grown hugely over the last ten seasons, but that plan is not finished yet.

If I had a sense that Enic were happy to follow the Mike Ashley route and were content to just remain as we are now, I too would be upset and demanding investment. But I do not get that sense. We are clearly still aiming higher than where we are, but that aim can only be met when our revenue and investment has increased to match that position.

I want us to win the League. But to do that will take time and money and we are no where near it yet. But, crucially, I am enjoying watching us build towards that.

You see that as a negative, which I don't understand.

Every club should be running at about even in transfers. If you are spending a fortune in net transfer spend it is because you are buying the wrong players who don't succeed and have no value when you sell them.

Stoke City are a prime example. They are not a desirable club with continent wide lure. They have to pay more in wages than other clubs to make up for their position and as a result those players are worth less than Stoke spent on them when it comes time to move them on. Stoke spend a fortune to remain static.

We rarely make a loss on a player. We often make extraordinary profits on players which we reinvest in better players. We sell Jake Livermore for about half the fee we sign Christian Eriksen for. Everyone here is delighted with this as we should be. We upgraded a player in our squad hugely for small investment. This is a sign that our recruiting is working. We are able to sell on unwanted players for good fees, and replace them with better players for good fees.

The longer term damage big net spend can have is also huge. When you spend that money it has to come back into the club sometime. If you don't generate that money then you eventually go out of business. We've seen the effects in this country with Leeds and Portsmouth spending money they couldn't recoup, which sent both clubs to the wall. But even if it isn't that drastic the effect can be huge on a club.

Villa spent a huge amount on players when Randy Lerner took over and couldn't make that money back in sales. As a result the money eventually ran out and they had to find other ways to balance the accounts which has resulted in a cut down squad of players, not being able to spend in the market and has left a club who were above us in the league just ten years ago struggling to stay in the division.

It has also meant that the football has suffered. Villa don't have players as good as they had during their spending. This has left Villa, who were one of the finest teams to watch under Martin O'Neill, bereft of quality and playing some awful shit. Even though they have had a really good start to the season there were about 25,000 at Villa Park the other day because Villa fans have had nothing good to watch for years. It has damaged the club for a generation.

While we are improving the squad and not throwing money away to do it we are moving forward.

There's nothing wrong with having ambitions.. Saying we should be happy where we are and forget 4th is not ambitious, it's a poor attitude.

I am relatively happy with the squad apart from the strikers.. Ade will go to the ACON, leaving Kane and Soldado with Thursday/Sunday football for some time, along with the other two competitions.
What if one gets injured??? What happens then?
I've said it before, all it would have taken was 20m for a proven prem forward and we would be well balanced and well covered.
Spending 20m would have left us with a total spend of 12m.. Is that throwing money around?

The longer term damage big net spend can have is also huge. When you spend that money it has to come back into the club sometime.
No one is advocating for a massive net-spend and blowing 200m on players we don't have - why do you insist on this extremist twisted point of view and even mentioning Pompey and Leeds in the same sentence - that is laughable. I haven't seen a single post suggesting that.

All that most fans wanted to see is a single quality purchase to address a gaping hole in the midfiled - attacking wide midfield / striker

Not every player has to make a profit either - revenue can be obtained via alternative sources. Not to mention improving the squad quality would subsequently improve our chances of finishing higher and raking in higher revenues

Agree - sell Bale for £90m and buy 7 players for £85m = £5m profit

no consideration for the fact that those 7 players wages will likely total 5 times Bale's....
I think in 2013 summer transfer window the wage difference was marginal .
7 players bought . With Bale , Gallas, Caulker, Parker, Huddlestone , Dempsey, Bentley let go.
A host of fringe players such as Bostock also went.
We also must except that everything does go up.
Also we made a 10 million profit in the window,
Thatcherism perfected .

One interesting comment. Spurs do not have BIG MONEY Ownership like the top-5. The team Spurs compare close to is Everton. Similar results, similar stadium capacity, etc . . . Everton is 18 on the list. Another team not in top-5, but often finishes top-half is Newcastle. They are 17. If Everton had not done aggressive spending, they would be below Spurs.

Wow. Thanks for posting this. I think the most interesting thing about this (aside from the fact that we are the the most "thrifty" squad in the PL) is the number of shit teams that are in the top half of that list. Meanwhile Spurs and Everton are at the bottom. The numbers back up my perception that money buys wins, but only at the very top of the table. After the top handful of spenders, there is basically no correlation between spending and winning. I wouldn't have guessed that.
:gallashmm::avbcringe::dempsey::gio::saha:

Lewis, thou he has personal wealth, separates personal wealth from Spurs Operations. It might not be fair, but it is the ownership Spurs have.

That is his right. Supporting said ownership, or not, is the fan's right. An awful lot of people are counted on to spend an awful lot of their disposable income in order to support Spurs financially.

Transfer League Table Last Five Seasons | League Tables

This does't include the reported £6-10million we got for Sandro as well.
Thanks for posting this - very interesting reading.

Although it hasn't always felt that way watching the matches, perhaps these figures show that our managers over the past five years have actually all done pretty well to keep us fairly high up the table.

On a spend/cost per points basis, we're the Champions!

West Ham's spending makes me chuckle.

I don't know the answer to this so it is a genuine question, but do we actually have all the money that we supposedly have received? Aren't some deals through installments?

Net spend per window is myopic but net spend over five years isn't.
But do we actually NEED to spend more money, or CAN we spend more money (in that, will the players above the bracket we are buying actually come to Spurs?)

Why should we have spent more? For the sake of it? Sure, we have some issues - most teams do. If we didn't, we'd be Bayern Munich. Our squad is brimming with talent, it cost a fortune to put together. It seems that because we had a couple players that developed into complete worldies (and therefore we had no chance of keeping them (also we negotiated excellent fees for them)) that we are inclined to spend ALL of that money and more on replacement players.

It's almost like if we'd have spent £30m on Paulinho, £25m on Capoue and £40m on Eriksen, some of you would be happier purely because the balance sheet would be covered in red. It's not the players you aren't satisfied with per sé, but the money we've paid for them!

Seriously, had we spent £200m on those '7' last season, you would be moaning about not getting value for money - "he's a flop, we spent 'x' on him and he hasn't delivered" - and then blaming Levy for overspending, as opposed to our net spend.

Bruceben Bruceben folknaesa folknaesa Lads, I was joking about it actually being troubling times. I thought that would come through when I said that the fanbase would melt away, I was kidding because the reactions have been so bad today. The only thing I was serious about was wondering how long the stadium would put us back.

Apologies was read at early in the morning whilst feeding the baby, not awake enough to get your point!

:avbfacepalm:

That comparison is ridiculous. Cos` every season your talking about they qualified for the champions league and also finished above us. So they were still achieving. We aint.

They had Wenger....we've had Ramos, Jol, Harry, Sherwood and AVB.

Apart from the stability they have had, he is also a better manager than all of them too. We have just seen at Man Utd how strong the influence of one man can be.

Of course we are failing our objectives, and we will contnue to do so if we change managers ever other year, and sign 8 players every window.

Woolwich were in a much better position when they built The Emirates, and done very well to maintain a high level of consistency, despite losing many of their best players.

We could only hope to do the same.

At a time too when there were was only a top 4 and the rest were some way behind....they would have probably fallen by the wayside had they built that thing 5 years later..

Much, much tougher climate for us.

"Back to blaming managers"?

I don't think sammyspurs sammyspurs was subtle in his criticism of AVB for the best part of 12 months!? :avbshock:

He gave Tim a chance and now Poch (haven't seen anything too adverse so far)?

Exactly.....

The thing is, people change the blame to when it suits.....first Harry fucked us up and we should have finished 3rd that season.....now that doesnt count. It was Levys fault for not spending and we had a shit squad.

Last season we needed at least two years to gel, and AVB was doing fantastic....Levy was a cunt to fire him, and Sherwood isolated the players and was clueless.

Those same players now dont need to gel. They are shit. And Levy should buy more.

Fucking hell

But not Levy though. Or Lewis. Or Enic. And definately not the fact that we are the lowest net spenders in the Premier league. Blame everyone but the people running the club, right ?

But the 6th highest purchased gross behind the top 5....keep ignoring that.

Keep denying a stadium is going to be built too.

And by the way, Levy and Lewis are not the manager, or on the pitch. They spent 26M on Soldado.

We were all happy. Is it Levy's fault that Soldado missed 4 open goals and 20 sitters?

Back
Top Bottom