Spurs bottom of the Premier League Net Spend Table for last 5 seasons

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Apparently its all a big lie.

We used to be proud of the way this club was run. Some of our fans make me sick these days.

Sammy,
We can still be proud of the way the club is run if we spend money on some good players.. That's a must these days if you want to compete..
I'm not sure whether you go to games or not but I speak from my own situation and I spend quite a lot of money following Spurs and feel we are entitled to see the best players playing for us.
Watching the club make a profit in a transfer window makes me feel somewhat let down, will my season ticket come down in price?
I'm not into signing players because they are a CL superstar, I leave that to Woolwich fans, but wanting a top striker to admire week in week out is not going against any traditions the club has or had.
We badly needed a striker who could bang in 25 goals a season and we are going to be left with Kane and Soldado when the AFCON begins.. That's just irresponsible and will bite us on the arse big time..
Fans wanting that said striker is not being unreasonable or going against club traditions, it's common sense and one that we deserve...

We used to be a proud club.
Full of swagger , a cavalier ethos.
I am sorry l make you unwell.

Its difficult to argue with someone who genuinely believes the NDP is fake. Its like trying to debate with someone who believes the Loch Ness Monster.

Its just stupid. I cant even begin to try and find answers because if you want to stoop so low in your critique that the ONLY thing you can see is that Levy didnt swoop in and buy Falcao, Costa and Di Maria this window. then you simply are not worth talking to.

You seem to want to spend even if it wont improve us.

I wanted Webeck but now I dont give a shit. Im happy for Poch to try and get Soldado firing...you know the 26M striker we bought last year.

But oh yeah....that doesnt count as spending because we sold Bale.

Sammy,
We can still be proud of the way the club is run if we spend money on some good players.. That's a must these days if you want to compete..
I'm not sure whether you go to games or not but I speak from my own situation and I spend quite a lot of money following Spurs and feel we are entitled to see the best players playing for us.
Watching the club make a profit in a transfer window makes me feel somewhat let down, will my season ticket come down in price?
I'm not into signing players because they are a CL superstar, I leave that to Woolwich fans, but wanting a top striker to admire week in week out is not going against any traditions the club has or had.
We badly needed a striker who could bang in 25 goals a season and we are going to be left with Kane and Soldado when the AFCON begins.. That's just irresponsible and will bite us on the arse big time..
Fans wanting that said striker is not being unreasonable or going against club traditions, it's common sense and one that we deserve...

We spent 110M last season in trying to do that and are still waiting to see those players take off.

Who knows, maybe in a few years you'll be watching them in a nice new stadium that didnt bankrupt us...

Also very interesting that we have the 6th highest purchased gross, with no CL and no sugar daddy.

But because we sell for a profit and stay self sufficient, people are actually complaining about spending.
Can you actually believe that.

No no, we should spend £100m just for the sake of it and keep hold of players that don't want to be here. You've got it all wrong.

:pochfacepalm:

We spent 110M last season in trying to do that and are still waiting to see those players take off.

Who knows, maybe in a few years you'll be watching them in a nice new stadium that didnt bankrupt us...

I'm convinced I will be watching us in the new stadium and levy and co have done a decent job in sorting that out for us.. But spending 20m on astriker would not have affected that during this window.. We made a profit Ffs, had we spent 20m then it would have still been a very cheap window..
I know we couldn't have signed falcao or DI Maria but there are plenty of good players around for that money that we could have gone for..
Kane and Soldado and being in 4 comps is madness.

I'm convinced I will be watching us in the new stadium and levy and co have done a decent job in sorting that out for us.. But spending 20m on astriker would not have affected that during this window.. We made a profit Ffs, had we spent 20m then it would have still been a very cheap window..
I know we couldn't have signed falcao or DI Maria but there are plenty of good players around for that money that we could have gone for..
Kane and Soldado and being in 4 comps is madness.

Yes, great, but who? When I heard Welbeck was going for 18M I didnt want him, and rightly so we pulled out...I also wouldnt have minded Remy, or Bony.....has anyone stopped to think that maybe Poch didnt though...?

God net spend is such a useless abomination of a statistic.

Transfer fees are amortised over the period of the player's contract, so it makes little sense to complain that we haven't "bought" this summer (or before) when we still have our THREE BIGGEST FEES EVER PAID on the books!

Look at City: they "spent" huge this summer, even without a lot of incomings simply because they still have huge fees on their books from the previous years.

It may be the case that there is no greater short-termist, instant gratification, fuck-you-pay-me, sky-modern-football way of looking at a club than net spend.

Bruceben Bruceben folknaesa folknaesa Lads, I was joking about it actually being troubling times. I thought that would come through when I said that the fanbase would melt away, I was kidding because the reactions have been so bad today. The only thing I was serious about was wondering how long the stadium would put us back.

I don't know the answer to this so it is a genuine question, but do we actually have all the money that we supposedly have received? Aren't some deals through installments?

Doesn't include the billion pounds we spent bringing Juande/Redknapp/AVB/Pochettino in and then sacking them all with handsome pensions as a pay off. We'd probably be top of the spending list after that.

Probably because £400m stadia are expensive and require some saving for. Remember how long the Goons went big money signingless after opening the Emirates?
NDP is a myth. Didn't you know?

Joe Lewis ($4.2 B) is worth more than John Henry ($1.1 B) or Stan Kroenke ($4.0 B), and only slightly less than the Glazer family ($4.4 B). So that's simply incorrect.

Spurs generate less revenue than the Top 5, but vastly, exponentially more than most of the teams ahead of them in the net spend table.
Difference is, blokes like Glazer are saddling their club with hundreds of millions of pounds of debt in the process (buying the club with money they didn't have, and putting those loans ONTO the club!) and then selling thousands or even millions of shares that goes into THEIR pockets.

Buy the club with someone else's money.

Sell the club and take all the money.

And people think ENIC are bad.

We badly needed a striker who could bang in 25 goals a season
I don't know if you've noticed, but these players tend to cost around £50m and they prefer to earn around £250k-£300k/week.

I agree, we could/should have bought a striker in this window, but expecting someone of that quality is unrealistic.

Personally I feel we need a higher contribution from our clutch of midfield talent. We play 3 attacking midfielders behind 1 striker, they should be getting 25/30 goals just between those 3.

I don't know the answer to this so it is a genuine question, but do we actually have all the money that we supposedly have received? Aren't some deals through installments?

Yeah but you would likely pay in installments so that would balance out I guess.

Though I know nothing of how transfers are made so this is just guess work.

Yeah but you would likely pay in installments so that would balance out I guess.

Though I know nothing of how transfers are made so this is just guess work.
Correct.

Real Madrid are paying us in installments for Bale. £1,000 a year for 80,000 years. In 80,2014, we'll be laughing all the way to the bank :levylol:

God net spend is such a useless abomination of a statistic.

Transfer fees are amortised over the period of the player's contract, so it makes little sense to complain that we haven't "bought" this summer (or before) when we still have our THREE BIGGEST FEES EVER PAID on the books!

Look at City: they "spent" huge this summer, even without a lot of incomings simply because they still have huge fees on their books from the previous years.

It may be the case that there is no greater short-termist, instant gratification, fuck-you-pay-me, sky-modern-football way of looking at a club than net spend.

Net spend per window is myopic but net spend over five years isn't.

This is all good. We have a low net spend because although we do spend a lot on players, the trend is that we buy lowish, develop and then sell very high. Additionally, we have one of the best development squads and Levy seems to get a staggering fee on some of the shite off casts we sell.
Over the last decade our squad size and quality has increased significantly too. No doubt about that.
So the system works.

This is all good. We have a low net spend because although we do spend a lot on players, the trend is that we buy lowish, develop and then sell very high. Additionally, we have one of the best development squads and Levy seems to get a staggering fee on some of the shite off casts we sell.
Over the last decade our squad size and quality has increased significantly too. No doubt about that.
So the system works.
Sounds like everything is rosy in your garden.
Sorry what club are you talking about ?

Net spend per window is myopic but net spend over five years isn't.
But do we actually NEED to spend more money, or CAN we spend more money (in that, will the players above the bracket we are buying actually come to Spurs?)

Why should we have spent more? For the sake of it? Sure, we have some issues - most teams do. If we didn't, we'd be Bayern Munich. Our squad is brimming with talent, it cost a fortune to put together. It seems that because we had a couple players that developed into complete worldies (and therefore we had no chance of keeping them (also we negotiated excellent fees for them)) that we are inclined to spend ALL of that money and more on replacement players.

It's almost like if we'd have spent £30m on Paulinho, £25m on Capoue and £40m on Eriksen, some of you would be happier purely because the balance sheet would be covered in red. It's not the players you aren't satisfied with per sé, but the money we've paid for them!

Seriously, had we spent £200m on those '7' last season, you would be moaning about not getting value for money - "he's a flop, we spent 'x' on him and he hasn't delivered" - and then blaming Levy for overspending, as opposed to our net spend.

Back
Top Bottom