Spurs bottom of the Premier League Net Spend Table for last 5 seasons

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A lot of the backlash in these types of threads seems to be coming from people with what I see as unrealistic expectations of our club, in both directions.

The figures are difficult to get now we are a private company, but most analysts still peg us as 6th in wages in the Premier League. City, Chelsea and United pay multiples of our wage budget every year, Liverpool and Woolwich about double. Then us, then Everton at about two thirds of our budget. Those clubs all have much higher revenue streams to be able pay those budgets, in the same way our revenue is miles above Everton.

People talk about the Welbeck deal. We wanted a loan, Welbeck wanted a permanent deal. While on the face of it £16 million seems a reasonable price for the player looking at the whole deal you can see why it isn't feasible. If he is on the reported £100,000 a week, that makes the total value of the deal over a five year contract £42 million. Amortized over those five years that is £8,400,000 a year on Welbeck. For Woolwich that is worth a risk, for us that is only feasible if he is going to be our undoubted Bale level star, selling a shit ton of shirts and driving new revenue. I don't see Welbeck doing anything like that for the club.

To give a further example of the difference Fabio Borini failed to move to QPR in major part because they were unable to meet his £90,000 a week wages. He is a useful squad player who can turn out in cups for them and do a job and he would be one of the elite earners at Spurs.

Too many people have unrealistic expectation that we WILL qualify for the Champions League. Unless we can compete with the budgets of those clubs above us we can never guarantee that. We can compete for those positions as we have been doing and some seasons we may even do it, but to budget that way would be suicide in the long term.

But likewise too many people seem to think we are shit. We are the 6th biggest spending club in the richest league in the world. We are one of the few teams in the league who, barring utter catastrophe, never have to worry about relegation. Our worst season in the modern (post mid-table shite) era (2008-09, two points eight games) saw us finish 8th, two points off Uefa Cup football. The year before we came 11th but won a cup. We qualify for Europe every season and, crucially for the long term goals of the club, do well in it. Our coefficient is huge. We are second in the Europa League seedings, behind only Inter (who have a European Cup win to bolster their ranking as well). If we had been in the Champions League group stage draw we would have been seeded 14th, healthily in the middle of pot two. In fact we would have pushed Manchester City into pot three.

We are a well run club who are competitive in the highest profile league in world football, with no real fear of losing our position, competing in Europe, and competing well. Signing someone like Danny Welbeck will not change our position either way.

Also, the point I feel gets lost in these debates often, we are bloody good at football and I really enjoy watching Spurs play. We win a fuckload of games every year and always go into two domestic cups with a chance of winning them. We're not Villa or Hull. Steve Bruce claimed that he played a reserve side in the Europa play off because if he didn't "we wouldn't have got a point at Stoke". THAT is misery as a football fan. That your clubs only chance, possibly ever, to compete in Europe is thrown away to draw at fucking Stoke.

We aren't Barcelona or Bayern, but we also aren't Villa hoping Ron Vlaar isn't sold so we don't get relegated. We're Spurs. None of us here started supporting the club because we were the biggest club in the world and winning the European Cup every year, that was for the mugs who followed Liverpool at school (or Man Utd for younger readers). Each of us is here because we like the way the club is driven, full of lofty ideals that we will almost certainly never attain.

For christ sake the most famous quote attached to the club is basically saying 'Well, we probably won't actually win, but we will be so good at not winning that it won't matter because we're just that great.' It's a romantic ideal (Spurs fan)/high minded delusion (fan of most other clubs) that defines the club and it's supporters and is one of the reasons I'm sure most of us are here at all. Spurs are genuinely different to other clubs. West Ham talk about 'the West Ham way' when most fans couldn't tell you what that means. But Spurs DO have an ethos.

There's no echo of glory in Danny fucking Welbeck.

EDIT: That was way too fucking long. TL;DR = Danny Welbeck isn't that good, we're better than Villa, I'm sad enough to not have to look at Uefa coefficients to know what ours is (75.949), #COYS

Well there you have it, buying for sake of it doesn't guarantee wins, ledley was free, Bentley cost loads, bale we made 70m on, bent was more and was a dud

We are sadly in stadium mode and like Woolwich it's a long process, you have to think about it like an operation you need to get done, if you don't have it done in time you will deteriorate, the new stadium will help us get the revenue and attract more investment and push us on, but it puts us out of action for a while.....

That is why Poch is here a good solid coach who can get the best out of what we had, he has already pumped life into 3 of the magnificent 7 who were mentally gone 4 months ago, 4 months people - give him time, we will keep fighting

By the time the stadium even opens at least half the fanbase will have melted and we won't even be able to fill it so no gate money. TROUBLING TIMES.

:sandro:

MS not coming has hit you hard. Utter nonsense.

Long suffering fan base will melt away over the course of half a decade?

hysterical kneejerk bollocks.

Last edited:
His apologists we'll be here shortly telling us about the 'new' stadium being built (15 years later hasn't even broken ground bu hey ho) and how it is completely unrealistic and plastic of fans to expect even 1 (ONE) quality signing during the transfer window even though we've made 180m+ from TV deals alone in the last 2 seasons and signed massive deals with AIA and UA.

You can't demand Champions League football from your managers if you are unwilling to provide them the right tools to achieve that

Apparently its all a big lie.

We used to be proud of the way this club was run. Some of our fans make me sick these days.

Sammy,
We can still be proud of the way the club is run if we spend money on some good players.. That's a must these days if you want to compete..
I'm not sure whether you go to games or not but I speak from my own situation and I spend quite a lot of money following Spurs and feel we are entitled to see the best players playing for us.
Watching the club make a profit in a transfer window makes me feel somewhat let down, will my season ticket come down in price?
I'm not into signing players because they are a CL superstar, I leave that to Woolwich fans, but wanting a top striker to admire week in week out is not going against any traditions the club has or had.
We badly needed a striker who could bang in 25 goals a season and we are going to be left with Kane and Soldado when the AFCON begins.. That's just irresponsible and will bite us on the arse big time..
Fans wanting that said striker is not being unreasonable or going against club traditions, it's common sense and one that we deserve...

God net spend is such a useless abomination of a statistic.

Transfer fees are amortised over the period of the player's contract, so it makes little sense to complain that we haven't "bought" this summer (or before) when we still have our THREE BIGGEST FEES EVER PAID on the books!

Look at City: they "spent" huge this summer, even without a lot of incomings simply because they still have huge fees on their books from the previous years.

It may be the case that there is no greater short-termist, instant gratification, fuck-you-pay-me, sky-modern-football way of looking at a club than net spend.

This does not bother me as much as Townsend, Lennon, Naughton, Rose and Soldado are still at the club.

Having them available for selection looking amazing in training mugged AVB and tightened the noose around his spurs career.

I didn't want to see a marquee signing. I wanted to see the soft spurs curse lifted from the club.

Should of. Would be done by now. We wouldn't be allowed to play in it, and the steel works would take up the East Stand as they wouldn't sell...but it'd be done.

Maybe we should have just gone in and blown up the steel works, and burned down all the other shops, and built it illegally and hope the government would just say "oh gone on then...its up now"

:freundgoal:

We used to be a proud club.
Full of swagger , a cavalier ethos.
I am sorry l make you unwell.

Its difficult to argue with someone who genuinely believes the NDP is fake. Its like trying to debate with someone who believes the Loch Ness Monster.

Its just stupid. I cant even begin to try and find answers because if you want to stoop so low in your critique that the ONLY thing you can see is that Levy didnt swoop in and buy Falcao, Costa and Di Maria this window. then you simply are not worth talking to.

You seem to want to spend even if it wont improve us.

I wanted Webeck but now I dont give a shit. Im happy for Poch to try and get Soldado firing...you know the 26M striker we bought last year.

But oh yeah....that doesnt count as spending because we sold Bale.

I don't disagree with you, I disagree with Éperons Éperons suggesting that net spend figures are misleading due to the amortisation of payments, given that this is a five-year sample.

I'm happy for us to allow transfers to be self-funding as long as we get the right players. Last year was a bit of a mess, this year was the opposite in spite of similar numbers coming in. We're horribly lacking up front but I can't see an easy answer to that; we either buy someone mid-priced like Welbeck who probably isn't an improvement on what we already have or break the bank (and the wage structure) for someone amazing (that is, if they were to choose us over the other five). I don't want either.

Another problem we have is that if we do "break the bank" and bring a big name in on top wages then other players would expect similar pay packets.

If we start paying people 150k what will Eriksen, Hugo, Jan want further down the line?

It is a difficult position that we are in at the moment.

But not Levy though. Or Lewis. Or Enic. And definately not the fact that we are the lowest net spenders in the Premier league. Blame everyone but the people running the club, right ?
It is but mere speculation that our managers don't get the players they want. Buying and selling, with agents demands thrown in as well, is not as simple as some make it seem (unless you are overpaying). So lets assume for a second that in most cases, Levy has delivered 75% of players each manager has asked for. The 25% are either out of our price range, don't want to come to Spurs or get a better offer.

So we've hired this manager, and signed most of the players he wanted (he knew before coming that he wouldn't be able to make huge demands on salaries and wages for world class players, as even fans know we do not buck that trend).

And then - absolve those players and the manager of all responsibility but blame the chairman when we don't achieve the results we expect.

Yup. Thats logic right there. :thumbup:

We were hardly going to build without planning permission....that was only granted in July THIS year
Should of. Would be done by now. We wouldn't be allowed to play in it, and the steel works would take up the East Stand as they wouldn't sell...but it'd be done.

Two years before the Goons moved into the Emirates they won the league undefeated. Consistently finishing 4th without spending too much was bare minimum for them. Here we are with a model that allows us to develop promising players and sell them for profit thereby allowing us to buy more promising players and keep us at (and above) our sixth place minimum. It's been 4 seasons since we spent more than we sold, but we're still continually playing European football and in the hunt for the Champions League.

No. That's not what I'm implying at all. Making more money now will enable us to pay off the new stadium faster though. Obviously.

According to Wiki we've announced we'll move in ahead of the 2017/18 season.

And cheers to sammyspurs sammyspurs and Millbanks Millbanks for their excellent contributions to this thread.

Here here, sammyspurs sammyspurs seems to be on a gold run of sense at the moment, and its all true, as my post earlier says, sadly as it is more difficult to regularly secure CL footy as it was 10 years ago when Woolwich were building, we have to tighten our belts even more than they did to make it all work.

JDK JDK surely everyone knew you were joking, the day you stop making sense is the day this place folds!

Sadly now we have the pathetic international break to try and fill with crap, but after we get to beat Sunderland and West Brom and get back towards the top, looking forward to those games and Poch gets more time to look at what went wrong at Liverpool and keep working with the guys still around, plus no more transfer bullshit for a while which I am sure he will appreciate so he can concentrate on building (team not stadium)

Here here, sammyspurs sammyspurs seems to be on a gold run of sense at the moment, and its all true, as my post earlier says, sadly as it is more difficult to regularly secure CL footy as it was 10 years ago when Woolwich were building, we have to tighten our belts even more than they did to make it all work.

JDK JDK surely everyone knew you were joking, the day you stop making sense is the day this place folds!

Sadly now we have the pathetic international break to try and fill with crap, but after we get to beat Sunderland and West Brom and get back towards the top, looking forward to those games and Poch gets more time to look at what went wrong at Liverpool and keep working with the guys still around, plus no more transfer bullshit for a while which I am sure he will appreciate so he can concentrate on building (team not stadium)

We always lose before the international break. We need to pay homage to the meltdown gods.

As one poster pointed out, each time we finished 5th we were one player short of finishing 4th or above.
This is a very question-begging assertion. "One player short" means absolutely nothing, since that player would have taken another's role in the squad, in the XI, etc. Usefully predicting that effect is dodgy enough. Asserting it as a counter historical "fact" is outrageous.

Football is so complex a proposition that to say "if only we had x, we would have gotten two more points" is insulting in its cavalier simplicity.

Spurs do not have BIG MONEY Ownership like the top-5.
Joe Lewis ($4.2 B) is worth more than John Henry ($1.1 B) or Stan Kroenke ($4.0 B), and only slightly less than the Glazer family ($4.4 B). So that's simply incorrect.

Spurs generate less revenue than the Top 5, but vastly, exponentially more than most of the teams ahead of them in the net spend table.

Back
Top Bottom